What SSAT percentile ranges do top boarding schools look for?

Hello, everyone!

Thanks for taking time to read this. I was just wondering what range top boarding schools were looking for when it comes to SSAT scores by percentile (eg. 90-100). Possible factors that may be important to consider is that I’m an international applicant so they may weight SSAT scores more? I’m not entirely sure, but I would appreciate the help!

Thank You, have a good day :slight_smile:

Top schools such as GLADCHEMMS usually look for scores in the range the mid to high 90s. SSATs arent everything though.

2 Likes

70+ and then all else needs to be exceptional.

3 Likes

I think anything in that range is strong. This site and some AOs stressed us out about the scores. Most schools list their applicants average score. Schools are looking at the whole package. Do your scores reinforce that you can do the work (not are you perfect). Some schools (e.g., Exeter stress the essay as their only piece of authentic writing.

1 Like

Anything over 75-80 is probably fine. They just want to see you can do the work. If you’re a non-native English speaker, they assume you’ll improve on that part and just want to see that you’re proficient enough to keep up.

Schools do not admit based on scores, and they won’t admit a 98% over an 88% because of the score.

5 Likes

This is absolutely false. First of all many schools went test optional during covid. Second of all there are many kids with 99% who were rejected from every school they applied to. If you are above 80% you are likely safe. Schools are not, I repeat NOT, admitting you based on this score. I have been told, outright, by AO’s that they look at this last in the process just to double check that the kid can do the work.

7 Likes

Since you are a current 8th grader who is also a boarding school applicant, I need to gently correct you.

Top schools frequently accept students with scores in the 70’s and just as frequently reject applicants with 99+. There is so much more that they are looking for.

7 Likes

When I went to the Andover and Exeter presentations I asked the same thing. They said they usually look for anything above a 85 percentile. They said the cutoff is 85 percentile and they wouldn’t favor a 99 over a 90. After you make the cut off its all based off ECs, Essays, etc.

7 Likes

When my child applied, one boarding school’s interviewer/admission officer (not a tippy top, but still a selective boarding school with ~40% acceptance rate) told us if we were unsure if their SSAT score would help their application, to just email her and let her know what the score was and she would let us know if we should submit it with the application. Child’s score was in the high 80’s overall and she told us yes, that would be a good one to submit. Child ended up submitting it to all of the schools they applied to and was admitted to a tippy top. This was a couple of years ago. Since then at child’s tippy top school some of the students were comparing scores and many of them had overall percentiles in the 70s. Lots in the high 90’s too, but clearly, at least at this school, a score in the 70th percentile isn’t a deal breaker if you have other redeeming qualities/good stuff in your application.

2 Likes

85 and higher, but many are admitted with much lower scores depending upon the particular school and the other qualifications of the applicant.(For example, not uncommon to see athletes admitted with much lower scores.)

1 Like

There was an article in the Phillipan several years ago about this. The answer given in the article was that any discussion about academic aptitude ends when they see scores above the mid 80th percentile. They don’t really give any extra weight to scores at the 99th percentile vs 90th percentile. Anything above this threshold is deemed adequate preparation.

Schools farther down in the selectivity range will have lower thresholds. And the scores can be lower still for special cases (athletes, donors, legacy, frac-brat, etc).

2 Likes

And every time this comes up, I am reminded if the student who had a score in the 30s on one section. They just graduated from Harvard with a degree in physics. Please don’t get wrapped up in this.

5 Likes

The head of Admissions at Hotchkiss told me directly that he knows there is very little difference between a kid scoring in the 75th percentile and the 85th.

Ten percentage points sounds like a lot but the actual difference in how they did on the test isn’t that big.

5 Likes

Not true. Plenty of kids at these schools under 85th.

And it’s a self selecting population obviously.

2 Likes

If you are from a non-English speaking country, you might want to concentrate on the English part of the SSAT. If that is on the high side (80+) I would think you’re good, do you need a test like a TOFEL? To prove English proficiency? If not, I would think that part o the SSAT would be important. If all else fails, reach out to the school (not your parents… YOU) and find out. Schools love it when applicants take the initiative and call with questions. Good luck!

1 Like

I’ve read through the replies and just want to say thank you for everyone who contributed

2 Likes

Each year there is a sticky thread where various posters self report their stats, schools, test results, what their tuition status was, etc. this is self reported information so take it with a grain of salt. People with high test scores and prestigious admissions are more likely to self-report. On the other hand, they often have a posting history which is a lot of effort for a random low yield swindle.

1 Like