What's the audition experience like for CCPAs musical theater audition?

I really love Roosevelts theater conservatory and would love to audition for musical theater with a singing emphasis because I am very trained in singing(opera and musical theater) but I am not trained exquisitely with dancing. I would love some advice on what to prepare and look like for the audition, and know what I should expect at this audition!(:

D auditioned on campus right before Chicago Unifieds. The auditions were held in their dance studios. There’s a group dance audition for MT-Voice emphasis which is separate from the dance emphasis audition. D said it was fun and not too technical (she’s not a big dancer). It lasts about an hour. After the dance call she had just enough time to change out of her dance clothes for her voice/monologue audition. She did a brief vocal warm up with an accompanist who as I recall did a very basic vocal evaluation with scales and such…but I’m not sure that this had any bearing on the audition. Next D was led into a room where one faculty member listened to her songs and monologues (two each), and then invited her to sit down for a short interview. I cannot remember what she said they specifically talked about, but it was a pleasant conversation and she appreciated that he took some time to get to know her in the audition. The CCPA students were extremely friendly and helpful and repeatedly offered to answer any questions my D had about the program. There was also a parent meeting where the admissions representative spoke about the college, financial aid, audition process, and answered questions from parents.

As far as what to wear and the materials to prepare, I recommend looking into a college audition coach if you have the resources. D’s coaches were critical in helping her select the right songs and monologues, and they can even guide you on what to wear if you need them to!

Hope this helps! BAL with your auditions.

Thanks so much!

I was recently admitted into CCPA’s MT Voice program, so I’ll share what my audition day was like:

I live near Chicago, so I got there relatively early. I went into the building we were auditioning in (CCPA’s Dance Studio, both the dance call and voice auditions are held in this building.) I checked in at the desk and they gave me a sheet to fill out, as they do at all college auditions. My dance call was first, so they called everyone in at the exact time the call was supposed to start. Luis Perez was the choreographer, a very nice, laid back man who is definitely helpful and charismatic. The dance was not hard but still showcased some advanced movements everyone should be able to pick up, it was actually quite fun and provided the ability to show some character. We learned the dance easily, going over it many times with Luis, then performed it in groups of 3 at the end for him to evaluate. Then I changed my clothes and went to my vocal audition. Before your vocal audition (depending how much time you have between the dance call and that) you are allowed to go into one of the empty dance studios and warm up your voice and practice your song a few times by yourself. After I warmed up, I was led to one room with an accompanist sitting at a piano, and we did a few vocal warm-ups and a range test. I noticed he wrote a few things down, so I’m guessing that part was evaluated, as well. After that, I was led to another room where I auditioned in front of one of the deans/professors of the Theatre department. For CCPA’s audition, you are required to use a backing track rather than accompaniment, because it is not provided. Personally, I thought this was easier because backing tracks stay the exact same from the time you practice it to the time you perform it. You have the option of performing your monologues first or your songs first (I think doing your songs first is always a good idea, just to get them out of the way). It was a very nice and relaxed environment, and you only audition in front of one person. This was definitely the most comfortable audition I have ever had, the professor I auditioned for was one of the friendliest people I met that entire day, he made it so easy to perform my pieces with confidence and I was not nervous at all. After I was finished, he interviewed me and asked me the standard questions like “Why do you want to go to our school?” and “How did you hear about us?” I felt as if it was a conversation rather than an interview because they made it so easy for me to feel comfortable talking to them. After that, the day was over and they said that acceptances would go out on April 1, but I got mine on March 17 :slight_smile:

As for what to wear, I wore leggings and a striped long sleeved shirt. There were people in leotards, people wearing show shirts and sweatpants, and people wearing dresses. It really does not matter what you wear, as long as it is respectable and comfortable for you to dance in. They are there to see YOU, so make sure you really show them your personality the second you walk into the dance studio/audition room. Prepare songs and monologues that you have fun with and can perform well. They have to be contrasting.

Break a leg at your auditions!!