When will child hear from McGill and St Andrews?

My child applied to both (in October) and I think both are rolling admissions. Does anyone have any knowledge of how long it usually takes to hear from these schools?
Thanks in advance!

I’ve seen some reports here and there about StA being in the month-ish range of late. So perhaps any day now depending on when in October they hit send. Sorry can’t be more specific.

For McGill, if your student’s stats were far above the published minimum, they may hear back in December. If closer to the minimum it could be as late as March.

3 Likes

In fact we’ve been tracking St Andrews offers here:

But probably the best resource is this tracking spreadsheet courtesy of The Student Room:

High level, the first offers started coming on 11/2, and they were all August or September apps (so more than a month old).

On 11/6 there were more offers, still late September, so still over a month.

But now there are a couple more offers from 11/7 and 11/10, both 10/12 applications, so that is down to under a month.

That said, presumably they were hit with a flood when the Oxbridge applications were due on 10/16. And also last year there were some people who got offers well after a month, as in months plural.

So no guarantees, but it is possible more of the October applicants will see decisions in the next couple weeks.

2 Likes

My daughter also submitted her application to McGill in mid October. I’m wondering if there’s thread already created to track admission results for US students -Fall 2024.
Thanks!

1 Like

McGill is notorious for poor communication on admissions. They have a calendar where they have general target dates. Example. For law school, I know an applicant who heard nothing until June and then found out, they were not accepted for the fall. By then, the kid had moved on.

Just as an update, the offers recorded on the St Andrews spreadsheet continue to trickle in (obviously these are just a small sample), and they still mostly seem to be around a month after application date, plus or minus a few days.

But I should probably note my understanding is international applications are reviewed by the international admissions officers in coordination with the individual school admissions officers. So I am not at all sure we can expect every school to be on the same sort of schedule. No one seems to be churning out offers much faster than expected, but possibly some schools will be significantly slower than others.

Indeed, it could be just a fluke, but it looks like quite a few of the recent offers came out of the School of Geography and Sustainable Development. Not all, but enough that I do wonder if that is a relatively fast school, and that others might be slower.

2 Likes

McGill notifies in several cycles. If you are strong, you will be accepted in early Dec—this happened for my daughter and 2 of her friends ( 1 Arts, 2 Science students). This was great for us because it took a huge amount of stress off application season and allowed her to just focus on her reach schools for the Jan deadlines.

However, you might also be waiting until round 4 or 5–her boyfriend got into the science program at the end of June, and so did her friend from NYC ( who by that time had put down a deposit at another school) last year. Same with another high school friend of hers ( English major) two years ago— late June acceptance. All of these kids are now at McGill and loving it so when you get in does not matter at all!

But I actually now recommend the apply in October Canadian strategy to all my friends. If it works out, you will have an acceptance before Xmas at a great school that does not commit you to anything.

2 Likes

I am assuming that the admission offers you mentioned were all for US students. We’re also hoping for mid Dec decision but my student’s mid year grades won’t be available until Jan. McGill would like to see the senior mid year grades at least. She already entered all required final grades in Minerva from previous years but cannot hit submit as yet.

How are any US students hearing back from McGill without 1st semester senior grades? Minerva won’t let my son submit his self reported grades without at least three senior grades - listing them with IP “in progress” is not enough.

Did you apply without any 12 grade courses listed?