Which engineering is better: vtech or UVA?

<p>Okay, so i know vtech specializes in engineering and uva doesnt, but uva does have a better name for a school as a whole which can help in the long run. But i feel like vtech has better program. Can anyone give me information as to which engineering school is better and why? Also, I know that at uva engineering requires that students take their own set of classes that are only for engineers and that they cant take anything else, is it like this at vtech as well? or is there a little more flexibility in the schedule?</p>

<p>This was discussed many times. You should do a search on the VT board as well as the UVA board. Check out posts by Shoebox. She had switched from VT to UVA and she explained why.
Also I seem to remember her saying that to the contrary, UVA is flexible in letting students choose classes outside engineering. VT was more purely engineering. That’s all I know. Someone from engineering should pipe in.</p>

<p>If you are into mech or aero then forget about UVA. There is a report saying that UVA’s mech/aero department is forgotten (especially aero). Also, the research done in aero is very limited.</p>

<p>Do you know what you plan to major in? Some disciplines are better at UVA and others are better at VT. Think about your other interests–for example if you were strongly leaning towards minoring in business, you might want to go with UVA because it has a great business minor while VT’s business minor is kind of ridiculous. Also consider other factors like distance, the campus, and other aspects about the school. I would definitely visit each school if possible.</p>

<p>If you want to use your engineering degree to go into engineering then VT. If you want to use it for something else like going to med school or law you may be better off at UVA.</p>

<p>But if you want to stick in engineering UVA’s name isn’t going to help you nearly as much as VT’s will. We have a massive name in engineering.</p>

<p>@ Marioqwe - Care to elaborate on your claim re UVa mech/aero? You do know that VT and UVa do joint research in aero.</p>

<p>It does not matter if they do joint research in aero. I am pretty sure UVA and vt have done joint research with MIT at some point in time; that does not mean their engineering departments are the same.</p>

<p>@virginia23
At the end it is going to be up to you. It does not matter where you go as long as you are good enough. I am just letting you know that if you want to go into aero or mech, be ware that at UVA aero and mech are not priorities. This is important if you want to get involved in research and build up a curriculum for grad school.</p>

<p>@ Marioqwe, I’d like to ask again for more information regarding your statement that UVa mech/aero is ‘forgotten’. Do you have anything to back this up?</p>

<p>Sharing joint research does not equate one program to another academically. It does however show availability of similar quality research. That was my point.</p>

<p>Yes. But what UVA is missing is diversity in research in mech and aero. You can tell that by the number of students in their aero department.</p>

<p>Also, I just found this on the web. It’s from 2007* but it might be of some use.</p>

<p><a href=“http://media.gatewayva.com/cdp/pdf/WAG_Report.pdf[/url]”>http://media.gatewayva.com/cdp/pdf/WAG_Report.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>U.S. news ranked Tech undergraduate engineering above UVA’s; it’s 14th versus UVA’s I’m-not-sure (30 something, maybe?). Granted, UVA is a harder school to get into overall, but Tech has a renowned Engineering school and program. I have heard the Tech has many more resources available, and that more are recruited there. I don’t think you can go wrong with either, though.</p>