Which nursing school is right for me?????

<p>I'm a high school junior
I have a 4.06 unweighted gpa
I have a 4.59 weighted gpa
I'm in the top 10 percent of my class
Most of my classes are honors and I take AP English
my combined sat score is an 1850: 650 critical reading, 580 math, 620 writing
I was captain/mentor on the cheerleading squad-member for 3 years so far
I participated in track for 2 years and planning to continue this year
I have been class president for 2 years
I participated in student congress for 3 years so far
I participated in My Central Jersey Snapple Bowl (all star football game for charity-I visited a benefitting school and volunteered there)
Overall, I have over 100 hours of community service thus far
I live in New Jersey and want to go to college on the east coast
I want to attend a direct entry program for BSN</p>

<p>Any advice or assistance is very much appreciated!</p>

<p>Given your GPA,your sat’s look weak…what schools are you interested ? There are plenty of good nursing schools in the area,my favorite is Pitt,though your sat scores might need to be improved…</p>

<p>Something to look at –> what schools can go for all four years. A lot of the schools that I looked at weeded out half of their programs after two years, and, while I’m confident in my abilities for next year, I really don’t want to put that stress on myself. That’s why I chose where I’m going.
When you go on college visits, ask to see the nursing facilities. Another good thing to ask is what the NCLEX pass rate is.</p>

<p>Nclex rates are misleading,don’t pay much attention to them,but don 't discount them entirely…</p>

<p>qdogpa- I am interested in Rutgers-New Brunswick, University of Delaware, TCNJ, Penn State, Temple, Quinnipiac, UConn… Do you have any other suggestions???</p>

<p>ilovemyblacklab- Which nursing school did you choose??? Do you like it there???</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your advice!!!</p>

<p>I would highly suggest my school, Le Moyne College.</p>

<p>It’s small, and not super well known (probably because it’s small, Catholic – Jesuit, to be exact, and is in Syracuse, so it’s overshadowed by SU and is often called “the other school” when talking about colleges in the city)…but it’s nursing program is awesome!</p>

<p>It’s a unique (as unique as you can get since it’s the only one of its type in the country) 1+2+1 program that utilizes both Le Moyne College and St. Joseph’s College of Nursing.</p>

<p>Year 1: Full time study at Le Moyne doing nursing prerequisites and core (gened) classes
Year 2: Full time study at St. Joseph’s College of Nursing
Year 3: Full time study at St. Joseph’s College of Nursing, graduate from SJCON with an Associates in nursing, sit for the NCLEX
Year 4: Full time study at Le Moyne, finish core requirements and BSN requirements, graduate with a Bachelors in nursing</p>

<p>You live on the Le Moyne campus all 4 years, so you get the college experience, but you also get to start clinicals sophomore year, and can start working as an RN as early as the summer after your junior year. </p>

<p>St. Joseph’s CON has clinicals mostly at St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center, a large, very nice magnet hospital, but also uses come other places. The NCLEX pass rate has been between 89% and 97% in the past 6 years. </p>

<p>If you have any other questions, let me know. I just wanted to give you the basic run down :)</p>

<p>Thank you so much for the info SingDanceRunLife!!! It was very helpful!! :)</p>

<p>Pitt,Dusquense,Fairfield,U Scranton,Drexel,Villanova could all be added to your search…</p>

<p>Northeastern, BC, UVM and UNH! Daughter has similar stats and got into all but BC where she was deferred.</p>

<p>Your SAT scores are fine for nursing. For premed they are too low. You have nothing to worry about.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your helpful advice!!! :))</p>

<p>My D is at University of Scranton and really likes the nursing program there.</p>

<p>(Granted, this is only after one semester. ;)</p>

<p>Here’s an interesting recent article about New Jersey nursing programs. I couldn’t find official RN pass rates posted on the web for New Jersey colleges.</p>

<p>[Nursing</a> school programs get competitive at New Jersey colleges amid recession - pressofAtlanticCity.com:](<a href=“http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/education/press/article_5287c0a8-5662-11df-86f5-001cc4c03286.html]Nursing”>http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/education/press/article_5287c0a8-5662-11df-86f5-001cc4c03286.html)</p>

<p>College of New Jersey seems like a very pleasant place to go to college. It is not too big and not too small, and it is very affordable in-state. I’m almost sure they have a direct entry nursing program, and your stats seem about right for it.</p>

<p>Note - the person above is writing about St. Joseph’s nursing school in New York State, not St. Joseph’s nursing school in Phila (which is not affiliated at all with St. Joseph’s University). The one in Phila. has had some serious problems.</p>

<p>I’d take a look at the top schools. You’re going to have a difficult time getting into the better graduate schools for nursing if you’re not picking some of the better ones. Don’t roll the eyes quite yet. This is important as you’ll take your GRE in Jr. year and then apply for either the DNP (used to be Master’s and NP or CNS) or the PhD programs. So if possible cross check the rankings and look for schools with strong science underpinnings.</p>

<p>My d was accepted to the Nursing major at URI, Sacred Heart U, Duquesne and Catholic. Duquesne and Catholic gave her $$$. She did want the big school experience, but she did not get into the nursing major at the big schools, so far. We are waiting for UDel, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, waitlisted JMU (not direct entry).</p>

<p>Any thoughts or suggestions?</p>