Which of these 6 Nursing Programs?

<p>My daughter has been accepted to the following six programs. All are freshman admission programs (except Luther, but they gave her an early acceptance.) Luther does junior year at the Mayo in Rochester, MN. That sounds wonderful to me along with the fact that they have been extremely attentive with correspondence and a nice scholoarship. The final decision will be made in part with how the financial aid turns out at each school, but I would be really appreciative to anyone who can offer advice, opinions or observations about the following schools and their nursing programs.</p>

<p>Illinois Wesleyan University
Luther College
Pacific Lutheran University
Seattle University
University of Portland
University of San Francisco</p>

<p>My daughter will also be majoring in nursing. She also has been accepted to:</p>

<p>Seattle University
Pacific Lutheran University
University of San Francisco</p>

<p>and</p>

<p>University of Colorado Denver
University of Vermont
Saint Anselms College
Elmira College
Endicott College</p>

<p>Any info on any of these nursing programs is appreciated.</p>

<p>Any responses are helpful, negative or positive.</p>

<p>University of SF is the best of the bunch</p>

<p>Thanks for replying gdogpa. It was so much easier when I was researching the schools my other daughters attend, Carleton and Macalester. My youngest wants to have a liberal arts foundation with nursing, and getting any information beyond the basic stuff on the schools’ websites is tough. Can I pick your brain for any other info on nursing at USF?</p>

<p>Following are Rugg’s Recommendations on the colleges.</p>

<p>Group I (Most Selective)</p>

<p>U of Colorado (no freshman admission though, right?)
Illinois Wesleyan U</p>

<p>Group II (Very Selective) </p>

<p>Elmira
Luther
Pacific Lutheran
U of San Francisco
U of Vermont</p>

<p>Group III (Selective)</p>

<p>Seattle U</p>

<p>For what it worth, the schools with Phi Beta Kappa designation:</p>

<p>Elmira
Luther
U of Vermont</p>

<p>All schools are not listed, but if there are other schools anyone wants checked, let me know.</p>

<p>How about U Scranton, Quinnipiac, and Seton Hall ?</p>

<p>Quinnipiac and Seton Hall are both Group II, very selective. Scranton not listed. Only 27 are Group I.</p>

<p>@momof3D: I looked into Luther’s program for a while and I must say that it was impressive for the size of school that Luther is. If the best financial choice is Luther, I wouldn’t hesitate to attend.</p>

<p>Seton hall? that surprises me…what about Dusquesne or Fairfield?</p>

<p>Duquesne and Fairfield are both Group II. As I understand the way the schools are rated is by stats of accepted students. Example: Group I are all 100 most selective in U.S. and have average ACT of 28 and above. Some schools would fall into Group I for out of state students and Group II for in state students. Also some schools are in one group for one major and another group for a different major. Rugg emphasizes this is just one way of analyzing schools and that many other factors are just as important. </p>

<p>Thanks, Smart.cookie, for your input regarding Luther. My daguhter has not yet visited, but is planning on doing so in March. Did you visit by any chance? I’m glad you don’t think that Luther’s location is too much of a deterrant to not consider it. Not being is an urban area concerns my D a bit. She has visited two of the schools and one was too conservative, thus off the list. Where did you decide to attend?</p>

<p>Smart.cookie, after reading a few of your posts I see you are still deciding. You have some great choices, I wish the northwest and midwest had similar options.</p>

<p>Why does Seton Hall surprise you?</p>

<p>^^^^
Know the school extremely well,friends and family attended, and imho, the nursing program is not that good…The school itself is a “suitcase school”,even students that live on campus,pack up and leave for home on the weekends…many just commute from Northern NJ…</p>

<p>How long ago did your friends and family attend Seton Hall??</p>

<p>There is a current poster who has a child at Seton Hall and states that the “commuter” campus label is no longer valid. It looks like Seton Hall has made some recent improvements on campus to try to promote more activities on campus.</p>

<p>How do you know “the nursing program is not that good.” ?
Please provide some more information to back that up if you can. It would be helpful to some of us who may have kids looking at the program and comparing it to other schools.</p>

<p>Apparently Seton Hall nursing falls in to Group II (Rugg’s?), so is comparable to many good programs.</p>

<p>^^^^^^^^^^ </p>

<p>ughhh, just typed a full response,with links,et al, and it didn’t post ;(</p>

<p>I’ll see if i can find some time later to re-create it</p>

<p>double ugghhhsss!!! just tried to edit and hit reply, and it didn’t post either</p>

<p>sorry</p>

<p>^ At least give us the condensed version…;)</p>

<p>D still down to four choices where she has been acccepted. Seton Hall is still on the list because it offered lots of merit money and we probably won’t get any financial aid…</p>

<p>She has visited, and will be visiting again and going to Nursing Open House, etc.</p>

<p>Please share the good and bad. Thanks.</p>

<p>^^^^^</p>

<p>Seton Hall is defintely a commuter school…My friends daughter recently graduated from the nursing program, and commuted to South Orange herself, as well as many of her friends.All live in Northern NJ…Read the student review in Princeton Review about just this issue…I can personally atest to this as i have family that attended,but not in the last 7+ years,that also commuted…</p>

<p>The nursing program ,from what i am told by aforementioned friend,he found it not up to expectations.He fowarded me several articles in Sept when my D became interested in nursing…1 link deals with students failing a “pretest” to allow them to sit for the actual licensing exam…this was in 2008</p>

<p>[Seton</a> Hall nursing students in danger of not graduating | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com](<a href=“http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/05/nearly_two_dozen_undergraduate.html]Seton”>Seton Hall nursing students in danger of not graduating - nj.com)</p>

<p>Parents were upset with the faculty for lack of insight to this issue…My personal opinion is it wasn’t a major deal,though disconcerting…Clinicals can be just about anywhere with proximity to NYC,but getting to them was a pain(that can likley be said about many programs that aren’t in major cities…)</p>

<p>Friend’s daughter currently has a job as an RN,but he stil believes his daughter would have been better “served” at the other schools she was accepted to( i believe they included Quinnipiac/U Conn/Pitt)…she got some merit aid from SHU, as do many students,though family did not qualify for FA…</p>

<p>In my opinion,fwiw, SHU is a better nursing program then many in NJ, but that isn’t saying a lot…BUT, that is just my opinion…I don’t know of your current choices,but i feel the college experience is limited to some degree with the “commuter” status of SHU, and we didn’t even give it consideration,due to that fact and from 1st hand insight from my friend…</p>

<p>Best of luck in your choices!!!</p>

<p>Thanks for the insight qdogpa.</p>

<p>…Other nursing program choices include Quinnipiac, University of Scranton, URI, U Maine</p>

<p>(a couple other pending,… Seton Hall financially the best…)</p>

<p>Quinnipiac has very impressive nursing program and facilities but is very expensive. They also just announced yesterday that they plan to open a medical school. That is interesting.</p>

<p>Have a friend with a daughter at Scranton,though not in Nursing program…Parents hated the area, D loved the school…Not obscenely expensive,32K?..I believe it is more selective then SHU?..What is Qunnipiac costs per year? are you from the tri-state area NY-NJ-Conn?</p>