Which of these 6 Nursing Programs?

<p>Quinnipiac is about $45,000. (room & board)</p>

<p>(However UVM OOS is $40,000…)</p>

<p>Scranton without merit would be $43,242 (she got some merit there…)</p>

<p>URI OOS is $33,602</p>

<p>Seton Hall without merit would be $42,170 (with merit-about half that…)</p>

<p>Theses figures are all from US News 2010 edition. (May be last year.)</p>

<p>Definitely consider the costs in your decision, but don’t let it rule! If I had done that, I would’ve ended up at a school that I could probably live with, but most definitely wouldn’t love, and my parents understood that and supported my decision to go to a school that would cost more…and I love my school!</p>

<p>^ I agree.</p>

<p>But an $80,000 - $90,000 differential over 4 years is certainly a pretty big consideration. </p>

<p>(particularly in this economy.) We do not mind paying if the program is worth it. </p>

<p>At this point, not sure we feel the love anywhere yet…;)</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>Couldn’t agree more!!! At some price point, the return on investment is NOT worth it…Unfortuneately,i don’t know where that point is,lol…we are looking at 52k± at Fairfield,45k± Dusquense,48k± Drexel,and deferred at 'nova 52k±, and Northeastern, though i forget that $$$…Received some merit at some of the schools, but not at Fairfield…</p>

<p>FWIW,not one person i know who attended SHU,and i know at least 5-10 recent grads/current students pay full freight(tuition,room and board)…Kinda of like marking the price of something up, and then discounting it to make you feel you got a deal… The NY times ran an article about a school that did just this and succeeded in adding students to school,who thought they got a deal…interesting read…</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/12/education/12tuition.html[/url]”>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/12/education/12tuition.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I agree as well that there’s a point where the expenses become too much…but up until that point, I wholeheartedly believe that you should choose based on other criteria.</p>

<p>In my case, the school I passed up would have been approximately $16,000 less over the course of the 4 years. However, the campus is too urban, it’s primarily a commuter school, the program while strong didn’t match the strength of the school that I chose etc.</p>

<p>Now, I realize that my case is probably fairly uncommon as my family is taking out absolutely no loans or anything for me to go to school, and I don’t qualify for financial aid…so it’s my merit scholarship, the fact that I get 30% off the tuition wherever I go and out of pocket…but again, cost shouldn’t rule decision, just inform it. </p>

<p>When I got no merit money from Drexel, it was ruled out because of cost. Had I gotten much of anything, it would have stayed in the game. Had I not gotten merit money from the school I’m at, there’s no way I would’ve ended up here. It just wouldn’t be affordable (and it’s cheap as far as private schools go).</p>

<p>Quote: “the fact that I get 30% off the tuition wherever I go and out of pocket…”</p>

<p>I don’t understand what that means if your family didn’t qualify for Financial aid. :confused:
I am confused. It sounds like cost did rule your decision.</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>16K over 4 years?? that is not bad at all…We are looking at 20k PER year difference,or minimum 80k over 4!!!..for example,Fairfield at 52K± vs at Drexel at 34k± after Merit $$$, or Dusquesne at 32k± after Merit $$$, THAT is significant…</p>

<p>1sokkermom - Because of my mom’s job, I get 30% off my undergrad tuition regardless of where I go. Add in my dad’s job, and we don’t qualify for financial aid, and as I said, we have no loans or anything, so most of my college fees will be out of pocket. Cost definitely didn’t rule my decision! If it had, I wouldn’t be at the school I am!</p>

<p>qdogpa - Oh yeah…with differences like that I can understand…but many times the difference isn’t that much like Drexel vs. Dusquesne.</p>

<p>qdogpa - great NY Times article! In retrospect, all those school who raised tuition to attract more students may have had more interested students no matter WHAT they did. 2006 (when the article was written) was around when the wave of increasing students began.</p>

<p>I suggest avoiding Seton Hall because of the reputation it has in PA. Especially since the hospitals that you will do your clinicals are in PA and the reputation of the school will follow you there and when you apply to a job there.</p>

<p>I think Seton Hall is officially off D’s list. She and H went to the basketball game & tour. Location just didn’t seem to be a good fit for her.</p>

<p>She really liked Scranton. It is now a front runner. Great nursing program, 3 hospitals within walking distance, impressive Departmental credentials for Professors, excellent placement to grad schools, and NCLEX pass rates > 90%. We are going back to Preview Day on March 27.</p>

<p>We are not from PA, but Scranton graduates are working all over the country. </p>

<p>(D still waiting to hear from 2 OOS State programs. )</p>

<p>my d accepted to quinnipiac,pace,sacred heart , mollloy & adelphi which has the best program.</p>

<p>^^^
Of those, i’d choose Quinnipiac</p>

<p>D just got the financial “award” information from Quinnipiac today. She got an unsubsidized loan, and a $500/ semester grant. Tuition is about $47,000/year. I posted this on the financial aid / high cost of college vent thread.</p>

<p>Quinnipiac is off her list. Seems like a very good nursing program, but in addition to the high cost, just not the right social fit for D…</p>

<p>She is finally cutting the list. :cool:</p>

<p>^^^^ at least it was “only” :slight_smile: 47K, we’re chewing on 51K with zero aid</p>

<p>^ Fairfield?</p>

<p>We have that choice too. :cool: Just got official acceptance letter today.</p>

<p>(Not worth it to us without some $$.)</p>

<p>hard_worker,
Please explain your statement on PA not liking SHU. Thanks.</p>