Capped (weighted): 3.39
Uncapped (weighted): 3.53
Unweighted: 3.11
Major: Public Health or Microbiology
SAT: 1430
In-state
ECs: Extensive lab work at top Universities, leader in Non Profits

Would like UC Davis, UCSC or UCSB.

at 3.39 capped weighted you’re looking at Merced, UCR, and possibly UCSC as matches. UCD and UCSB will be < 15% chance.

Here is some UC admit data below. UC’s tend to be very GPA focused so UCM and UCR would be possible target schools. Compelling reason for your GPA that can be explained in one of your essays?

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.00-3.39 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 1%
UCLA: 1%
UCSD: 1%
UCSB: 1%
UCI: 1%
UCD: 3%
UCSC: 12%
UCR: 15%
UCM: 45%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.25
UCSD: 4.23
UCSB: 4.16
UCI: 4.13
UCD: 4.13
UCSC: 3.96
UCR: 3.90
UCM: 3.73

2019 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCB: 1340-1540

UCLA: 1330-1550
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1280-1520
UCD: 1230-1490
UCI: 1250-1510
UCSC: 1200-1450
UCR: 1130-1400
UCM: 1020-1290

If you are a CA resident, I would concentrate on the Cal States

Would OP be a good community college->UC transfer candidate? Could that get him closer to the UCD/etc. he seems to want?

CC to UC transfer is a great option and there are TAG options.
https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/transfer-requirements/transfer-admission-guarantee-tag.html

Thanks a lot, but would really prefer to go to a UC or Santa Clara Univ.

Santa Clara is a reach. They go by the UW GPA and 3.11 is much too low.

The CC->UC with a TAG is a good idea. Work on getting a high GPA first.

Profile of accepted students for SCU’s Class of 2022:

https://www.scu.edu/admission/undergraduate/choosing-scu/class-profile/

Thanks, but doesn’t SCU take GPA including Freshmen year?
Then my GPA is as follows
SIMPLE GPA : 3.3405
ADJUSTED GPA : 3.6262
3.34 GPA with great extra curriculars and from a Catholic High School should make me competitive for SCU I am hoping.

If you are considering Microbiology/Public Health, you are looking at Graduate school after Undergrad. Going to a Cal State will not only save you some money for Graduate school but a CSU will prepare you well for your intended major. I will be blunt, you obviously are an intelligent student since you were able to achieve a 1430 on your SAT, but beggars cannot be choosers when it comes to college admissions. Your GPA at the moment speaks for itself so you hopefully have 2 safety schools on your list or you could be completely shut out.

Best of luck and apply widely.

FYI, I received my Microbiology degree from Cal Poly Pomona and had an excellent education and am doing very well in life.

Thanks a lot for the tip about CalPoly, but I’ll prefer a UC as through my mom’s work I have free Tuition at any UC. So would prefer to go to UCSC or UCR.

there’s some subjectivity to the UC admissions process so (as well as Santa Clara), you should apply to any of them that interest you.

Your stats suggest that even UCM is probably a stretch so, apply broadly. CPP and CSULB are very good options for your major.

good luck

Do the UCs divide students based on above GPA bands? As my GPA is 3.39 which is very close to 3.40 which has following admissions statistics:
Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.40-3.79:
UCB: 1.8%
UCLA: 2.2%
UCSD: 7.2%
UCSB: 10.1%
UCI: 11.1%
UCD: 16.6%
UCSC: 43.8%
UCR: 63.3%
UCM: 88.7%

My school is very competitive and no of Hons/AP classes I have taken are 9.

Although the posted GPA admit ranges are based on capped weighted UC GPA, the capped weighted GPA is used as the baseline for eligibility to apply 3.0 for CA residents. Your whole transcript will be considered including all a-g courses, HS course rigor, availability of Honors/AP/IB courses and you will be evaluated in the context of your HS. Also there are the subjective areas of the application such as EC’s and essays which cannot be quantified that will impact your chances. No one other the UC admissions can tell you how you will fare.

The statistical information I posted gives you some guidelines on where you would have the best chance for admission based on GPA and test scores. There is no hard cutoff so apply to all the schools you wish, but make sure you have at least 1 backup (safety) school on your list so you are not completely shutout.

Does your school have Naviance to help determine if applicants in your GPA range were accepted to your target schools? Even with a 3.4 GPA, your chances at the Mid-tier and Top UC’s are very small but you never know unless you apply.