Will I be Direct Admit into IU Kelly if I meet the direct admit requirements but fail a semester of AP Calculus BC

Hello,

I have applied to the Indiana University Kelley Business School and have all qualifications for direct admit (GPA, SAT, deadline, Finance), however, I have received a failing grade for a semester of AP Calculus BC during my Junior year. Will my one grade compromise my direct admission or what will the process be? I am panicking a little bit so if anyone can respond I would much appreciate it.

Why panic? Nothing you can do about it now except make sure that you have a balanced list of colleges to apply to which are affordable.

1 Like

That is true, but I just wanted clarification on whether this would affect my direct admit status even though my GPA checks out.

None of us know.

Did you retake to get a passing grade or are you retaking for a passing grade (and listed the course on your schedule)?
If you did neither, it may indeed be a problem. Fs are always a problem for colleges, especially in a core subject.

Btw, Finite Math is a weedout class at Kelley.

3 Likes

Indiana requires 7 semesters of math, so even with one failing grade, I think you fulfilled the requirement. If you are auto admit for Kelley on stats, then an individual grade is not an issue for Kelley. The question is whether IU will admit with the one failing grade. My guess is that it will not be a problem … if your GPA is still over a 3.8 (even with an F) and you have a high SAT score. And your F was in a class that is not required at Kelley (you only need thru Calc AB).
If you are applying elsewhere … you might want to address that grade in the “Additional Info” section, to give context on why you failed and what you are doing to remedy the situation and/or what you learned from this. Also, how did you do on the AP exam? Did you pass the AB portion?

1 Like

My son applied to Kelly. He exceeds the goa requirement as he has a 3.87 gpa but he will
Remain test optional. Should we wait to hear from IU under EA or apply to Kelly direct now while we wait?

Go ahead and apply to Kelley now. There is no downside to getting your application in as early as possible, only upside. In the old days (last year and earlier), Kelley seats would fill up, so there was a race to get your application in as early as possible. Because the timing of review has changed a bit it’s impossible to know if applying later will negatively affect your admission chances. Personally, I wouldn’t risk it.

1 Like

Just to be clear….the GPA on your transcript (whether uw or w) is 3.8+ with the F grade and your SAT/ACT is 1370/30+? I agree with myos that you should have remediated that grade (assuming you didn’t). Did you and/or your HS counselor explain that grade? What did you get on the AP Calc BC test?

With all that said/asked, the only person who can definitively answer your question is your IU AO…have you asked that person?

2 Likes