Will low IB grades affect my chances!!

<p>I was wondering if low scores in IB would badly affect me. I have a SAT score of 1900 but I will be preparing for the SAT during the summer and my aim is to reach a score of 2100. My ECs are pretty good and are very unique. </p>

<p>My IB subjects and the grades I get in them are:</p>

<p>Math HL - 6
Physics HL - 7
Chemistry HL - 7
ESS SL - 7
English Lang & Lit - 5 ( Once it dropped to a 4)
German ab initio - 5 (Once it dropped to a 4)</p>

<p>Very few in my school have such rigorous and difficult combination of subjects. (3/500)</p>

<p>I will be applying for Cornell, Brown, UCLA, U. Illinois. Please tell me if I have a chance with these IB grades.</p>

<p>Is this your actual IB score? Because if it’s just assessment grades it’s okay. I guess schools will understand that there are some teachers who mark unfairly or refuse to give high grades.
Im taking the IB now(middle of grade 11, graduating in nov 2014) and my situation is somewhat similar to yours:
-english lit sl teacher gave the whole class 5
-physics sl teacher gave me a 5 for my 1st assessment because i forgot to write a couple of formulas, even though I’m always scoring a high 7
-spanish abi teacher refuses to give anyone more than a 5 because we’ve only learnt the language for a while and she said it was ridiculous to give a 6/7 </p>

<p>The whole point is to show continuous progress throughout the course. Dont worry too much</p>

<p>Try the ACT test. You might be more suited for this test. </p>

<p>There is less emphasis on vocabulary. There is no penalty for wrong answers.
There is a science section</p>

<p>I’ve just completed grade 11 so they are just assessments. No one in my English class gets higher than a 5 and its the same in my German class. I do not know if these assessments are a fair representation of the real IB exam ,but is there any way to let the university know of the performance of other students in the class and the attitude of the teacher?</p>

<p>I guess once if your real IB grade is super good that it does not correlate with the school assessment marks it should be fine</p>

<p>By your replies I infer that the subject choices and the rigor matter more than the scores?</p>

<p>The most important thing is that you improve over the years. That’s what I think. Why don’t you check with your university counselor?</p>