"Winging it" at Bama Bound

<p>Yeah, perhaps “winging it” wasn’t the best phrase for BB. Perhaps “plan well, but don’t freak out if you don’t get exactly what you want initially” would be better.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The date was set until her husband put the kibosh on it. Those Mizzou grads sure are selfish when it comes to letting someone else marry their wives, sheesh. But alas I have moved on and am now pursuing Hawaiian girls covered in chocolate macadamia nuts.</p>

<p>I have moved on and am now pursuing Hawaiian girls covered in chocolate macadamia nuts.</p>

<p>Enjoy! :)</p>

<p>Thanks, everyone, for your thoughful, heartfelt, and sometimes humorous advice. It has inspired me. I am happy to announce that I will be starting the “Bad Parents” forum on CC. Not many of you will qualify to join, but some of you will (and you know who you are). </p>

<p>Now, if you will excuse me, it’s 5:00 somewhere.</p>

<p>You’re an LSU fan so that automatically makes you a bad parent and an even worse person. That said, I’d like to be in your group as well as long as there are no GDI’s allowed.</p>

<p>^^^In the immortal words of Groucho Marx, “I’d never belong to a club that would have me as a member.”</p>

<p>slippy, it looks like you’re ready to geaux write the next best-selling parental advice book: Tiger Dad!</p>

<p>^I somehow picture the promotion for the book including a Mardi Gras float. </p>

<p>While “winging it” at Bama Bound was still not a good idea a few years ago, it has become less of a good idea.</p>

<p>I’ve never understood why LSU fans aren’t drinking daiquiris at tailgates. People are always mentioning how NOLA has great pralines and daiquiri stands, but LSU fans don’t seem to bring either to tailgates.</p>

<p>how pathetic am i that i took off work this morning to log in early at 9 am to help my daughter try to get some of the classes she wanted in her schedule before the other kids logged on at bama bound? yes, i am one of those parents, obviously, that you warned about. but, i can honestly say that i won’t be doing this again because after this experience, i think my daughter understands how it works. i just wanted her first semester to be the best it can be with the least amount of stressors possible. and - she would have called me repeatedly anyway this morning at work where i wouldn’t be able to do a thing to help her and we would have both been quite frustrated.</p>

<p>Sniner-
I think your daughter and mine were together for the registration? ChemE? She told my D that she was going to try to go ahead and register on her phone, and it worked, so mine was able to do that, too! ChemE is so structured that doing the schedule wasn’t that hard, but D wanted certain times that didn’t interfere with band and Japenese, and the amount of kids there who weren’t prepared at all and had no idea what they wanted slowed the whole process down. </p>

<p>The advisors did stress that the schedules could be changed at every Bama Bound session, and also that once they get to campus in August there will be spaces open up in the classes. </p>

<p>The only question I didn’t get answered was about move-in date for the MDB. I had talked with someone in the band office and they told me that for freshmen, August 9th would be the date, because the freshmen camp starts that weekend. But on the move-in schedule, it doesnt list my D’s dorm until Saturday the 11th. I need to call back and confirm.</p>

<p>azaleamob251, I have to confess I am one of those parents as well. :slight_smile: Except I was on my computer at Ferguson Center doing the same thing and D and I were texting and calling back and forth. I told her she was on her own for spring semester!</p>

<p>The advisors said that registering for spring would be much easier, especially for the honors college kids, since they’ll get to go first.</p>

<p>Mckinna- The girls were definitely together and both registered using their phones. My daughter really enjoyed meeting your daughter, and looks forward to seeing her again in Aug!</p>

<p>Solat10, I was with you in the lobby doing the same thing on my iPad! Classes only work a certain way around band practice. Mckinna, your child will be fine moving in on the 11th. Traditionally, MDB band camp always starts around lunch on that Sunday. We plan to move D into RCS on that Saturday.</p>

<p>DS & I are back from BB. DS had a fantastic time and didn’t want to leave. </p>

<p>I just wanted to make a comment about the actual registration process. Agreed, it is fine to teach your kiddos about registration, introduce them to a 4 year plan and even share what you have learned here on CC. </p>

<p>However, I had one of those big moments down at BB. I excused myself from the parent session that was going on during the time the students were supposed to be registering to take an emergency phone call. Honestly, I was shocked to see a small ocean of parents on their computers frantically registering their students for classes and texting and talking back and forth with their sons and daughters. My heart sank for a variety of reasons that I won’t go into. I am not passing judgement on anyone. But, I think this should have been the students responsibility and time to do their thing. I’m not ranting…my DS did ok during the registration (unlike so many tearful people around him…guess he was lucky). </p>

<p>What I am suggesting, is that UA do what so many high schools do in re to registration. (In our town, it was discovered that teachers were going online to register their kiddos because they had early access) Now, during student registration, only certain computers have access to the registration functions (ie…in the labs where the students are registering). Then after the students are finished, registration opens to everyone that is not involved in that particular registration slot.</p>

<p>This was a very teachable moment for the students. Unfortunately, I’m not so sure what we taught them. DS’s take away was that the people that really needed the help (the students that did not have the fortune of great parent such as the ones on CC, were at a terrible disadvantage). And for those students, stronger advising would have really helped.</p>

<p>Life isn’t fair, I get it. However, controling who could register may have leveled the playing field a bit for those not aware of the loopholes. Again, not passing judgement…just taking a hard look at the process.</p>