Wisconsin or WashU?

<p>Having a tough time deciding.</p>

<p>Wisconsin pros:
* Almost half the price
* Big-time sports scene
* More diversity in types of students?</p>

<p>WashU pros:
* Academic reputation, class sizes, etc.
* Flexibility in classes, majors
* Intimate, beautiful campus</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p>UW would be a much more fun, total college experience. The campus alone at UW offers much more variety and options than WashU, and the sports scene - hands down - can't be beat. I think the views from the UW union looking out over the lake, top any view anywhere on WashU''s campus. WashU has a great academic reputation, but so does UW. Reputation actually won't get you too far anyway - in the end, you'll get out of college what you put into it, period. In other words, being quite familiar with both colleges and campuses, if you're comparing these two, I think WashU comes out looking "boring" and staid next to UW. Save your money.</p>

<p>If you mean Washington U in St. Louis, then go to Washinton U in St. Louis. If you mean University of Washington then go to UWisconsin.</p>

<p>Diversity/flexibility/beauty/academics- both have them. Different students at each- geography, public/private do play a role in this. You have to list your priorities and rank each school. Then also consider the leaving home factor- presume you are from Wisconsin- do you want a new experience, do you want to be so far away, etc. Both are good choices in getting a good education, only you know how the other factors affect you. Good luck.</p>

<p>The U.W. is a HUGE place (40,000+ undergrads) and it is easy to get lost. Then again, go there if you like to sail or bike or roller blade or wind surf in your free time. Drinking is very heavy at both places, but a veritable legacy (that is stupidly upheld) at the UW. St. Louis is a helluva lot bigger than Madison. The UW makes its own ice cream. Wash. U. is a more intellectual environment.</p>

<p>Honestly, the campuses and their cultures are very different from one another.</p>

<p>The 40,000 plus undergraduates number is incorrect. There were 29,000 undergraduates as of the Fall of 2007.</p>

<p>You can find everything you need to know about UW-Madison at: UW-Madison</a> Academic Planning & Analysis</p>

<p>I don't think Wash U has a more intellectual environment at all. With all the grad students around UW has a very high level of intellectual environment. UW also has a very high number of ugs going on to get PhDs.</p>

<p>My mistake -- that's 40,000+ students. It's still a huge campus with a helluva lot of people. I stand by my statement that it is easy to get lost. Some students from small town, WI, are thrilled to finally be anonymous. Others are completely overwhelmed. And the grad students impact very little on the life of the typical undergrad, if you ask me. My sense of undergrad life is that it's pretty anti-intellectual -- for most students. You have to look hard to find other undergrads who value scholarship and being truly scholarly, and who aren't interested in getting drunk Thursday through Saturday nights. Sadly, the reputation of the U.W. as a party school is well deserved. The administration has had little success in curbing the enthusiasm.</p>

<p>I should perhaps add that I speak as a parent of teenagers (to other parents of teenagers) who was a grad student at the UW. I still have many, many personal and professional connections to Madison and the UW. I have no doubt that current students and recent grads may see things differently.</p>

<p>I've got kids at both:
1. The WashU student body, on average, is at a considerably higher level. Thus, your classmates will, on average, be more intense and more talented. WashU is more of a pre-professional place than a pre-PhD place, however. There are, of course, plenty of very bright kids at Wisconsin, but your typical peer will be diffferent. You have to decide if this is important.
2. UW has the college football, campus town feel. WashU is a smaller, very lovely, campus, on the edge of an urban area. You get all that St. Louis as to provide, but it is more the bubble feel then the Madison campus town feel. My son at WashU would have loved the big time football atmosphere.
3. Small schools have better advising, if that's important.
4. All schools have plenty of partying for those that want, but I think Madison has a bit more of a party culture. Not to say there aren't plenty who work extremely hard, but on average, there is more going on at Madison.</p>

<p>Bottom line is that you can get a great education at each. The two big differences, I think, are the overall caliber of the student body, and the difference between a medium sized school and a large,big ten university. </p>

<p>You can't make a bad choice; just try to pick where you think you'll be happier.</p>

<p>Certainly depends on what your definition of "caliber" is. We personally know 3 kids from my son's high school this year that were rejected at UW but accepted at WashU. When you're talking "caliber," you better be careful what you say nowadays with UW standards a factor...!</p>

<p>The school is big enough for many/most to find their niche- including the highly intellectual (many NM finalists end up at the flagship U) and nonpartiers. The comment about pre-PhD versus pre-professional has merit. Are students more intense and focused on getting into law/medical/businees programs, or intensely interested in their major? The Honors courses will have intense students, you make some of your best friends in your classes.</p>

<p>Badger,
What are you planning on studying and what kind of student are you? </p>

<p>I have a son that graduated from Wash U last spring and a daughter that will be attending UW Madison next fall. My son had the same choice as you five years ago and we are Minnesota residents with reciprocity. Wash U was hands down the best decision for him. I have no doubt that the high level of teaching and the relationships he developed with professors helped him get into his top choice PhD program and law school for a joint degree.</p>