Worry about my admission...

<p>Hi, I am an hispaninc student that have been living here for only 3 years. Currently I am at a Community College stuying science. I am a very passionate student who does a lot of extracurricular activities. At the momment I am the president of Phi Thetta Kappa at my college and I am also a Senator at he United Nation Club. In the next semester I ll be doing services to help poor communities in Africa to get access to drinking water and I ll be also colaborating in a Free Set proyect at my college. Besides all my accomplishments, I got a very big problem that might make Ivy Leagues school reject my application. Due to some economical and family problems I got 2 C' s in my transfer. I retook them and got A' s but I am still afraid I dont get into Columbia due to these previous low grades. In addition I do not have support from my parents so I was thinking on staying at my college for one more year doing a double major in order to make my application and professional skills stronger. Should I do this? or is there any chance I can get into Columbia after getting 2 C' s or retaking a class?</p>

<p>First, welcome to CC and the Hispanic Students forum!</p>

<p>Second, why are you only concerned with the Ivy League schools, and Columbia in particular? Do you know that the Ivy league is a sports conference and that the schools within it vary greatly? Why do you want to go to Columbia? Will you be applying to any schools with higher transfer rates, any in-state publics?</p>

<p>Third, some schools have limits on the number of units/years of full time college that you can have taken to be considered a transfer applicant. You need to check the college websites to see what these policies are so that you do not take so many units that yo will be disqualified. Also, your main goal in CC should be to take gen ed courses to prepare you for a 4 yr college, ‘double majors’ will not be important or impressive.</p>

<p>Fourth, unfortuntely there is no way anyone can tell you whether or not Columbia will accept you either way. They have a very low transfer acceptance rate and we are not privy to what Columbia adcoms seek in a transfer applicant.</p>