Worth applying to CP Slo?

CP Slo gpa: 3.55
SAT: 1370
Applied as Communications major
Lots of EC’s/volunteer work
Hispanic origin

Do i have a shot at admission? Someone help plz!

Taken 7 Aps, 3 Honors courses. 3 AP’s during senior year as well as 1 honors course

Yes, you have a shot.

@JBSeattle really? isnt my GPA too low for CP Slo though??

The mean GPA for the CLA last year was 4.04, but the mean SAT was 1355. You are below and above respectively. As you may know from checking in herre though, CP admits by an algorithm called the MCA. It can be significantly impacted by the classes you’ve taken. Nearly everyone in the College of Engineering who gets in will have taken lots of lab science and math through at least Calculus AB. That may not be the case for Communications though. If you have, it might be an advantage. Calculate your MCA and report back.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19077718/#Comment_19077718

@eyemgh i have a MCA of 1901.735. is this a bad score? Im nervous i fell in love w CP Slo when I toured and would love to go there.

@eyemgh im sorry that was just for academics

@eyemgh however i have 5 years of lab science, over 30 hours of community service/leadership roles, 1 year extra of history, 1 year extra math (taking precalc senir year right now), 2 extra years of language, and my SAT score with the MCA score is a 1412.8125. I dont know how to calculate all of that with my academic MCA of 1901.735. If you could help that would be amazing thanks!

I just said you had a shot, not that it was a sure thing.

@JBSeattle well obviously nothing is a for sure thing with college admissions!!

So what is your MCA points for your GPA and SAT together?

How many semesters of Math, Lab Science, Art, English and Foreign Language do you have? FL and Math could include Math such as Algebra/Geometry and a Foreign language taken in Middle school if you listed them on the application.

How many hours of EC’s/week (this is the average throughout the year?)

Do parents have a College education? Are you a local in-service area applicant?

Go back to the link, read it carefully, and do the math again. Your calculation is way off. You’ll likely end up in the 4000 point range.