Would CBHP or UF consider a graduating junior?

<p>My daughter is currently in her junior year of high school, but will have completed her graduation requirements by the end of this year and for a variety of reasons is now considering going ahead and graduating early. </p>

<p>She is very interested in attending UA for mechanical engineering and was planning to apply for CBHP and UF during her senior year. I know she has missed the technical cutoff date for this year’s applicants, but is there any chance the Honors College would still let her submit an application for these programs since she has just recently decided to explore the option of heading to college next year. </p>

<p>Any recommendations of who would be the best person to talk with about this at the Honors College?</p>

<p>doesn’t hurt to ask. i seem to have heard about people being admitted to these programs pretty late in the game. and you are not really all that late in the game yet.</p>

<p>CBHP will invite 40 students, but sometimes, a student will turn down the opportunity if he or she chooses to attend a different school or does not believe the program is a good fit. So it is possible that CBHP could have openings. The year that my son entered the program, there were six or seven open spots.</p>

<p>Not sure about University Fellows.</p>

<p>I would contact Wellon Bridgers, UFE Coordinator ASAP w/your question
Her contact info w/in link below…word on the street is there are close to 700 applicants this year…
[Honors</a> College - Contact](<a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=ufe-contact]Honors”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=ufe-contact)</p>

<p>The app deadline for scholarship consideration was Dec 1st, so if your D is scholarship eligible, then she’s giving up a lot if she skips senior year. Can you home-school her senior year and just include - well - little…lol</p>

<p>Has your daughter already applied to UA? If not, have her apply now.</p>

<p>Dr. Shane Sharpe, Dean of the Honors College and Director of CBHP, would be a good person to contact as he has the authority to override certain deadlines and make things happen. Your daughter is a special case since she is graduating high school a year early and didn’t realize she could do so until much later in the year.</p>

<p>As a reminder, UA is closed for the Holiday Season and will reopen on January 3rd, so you may not get a reply to your email for a couple of weeks. Have everything prepared in case they let your daughter apply for CBHP and/or UFE.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for all the suggestions everyone. We will make some inquiries and see what we can find out.</p>

<p>Does your D have the stats for a scholarship? If so, are you choosing to forego that opportunity?</p>

<p>My daughter does have the stats for a full tuition scholarship and the $2500 engineering award, however will likely miss NMSF by a couple of points in our state. Would UA/College of Engineering not consider her for scholarships because she is graduating early?</p>

<p>*Would UA/College of Engineering not consider her for scholarships because she is graduating early? *</p>

<p>**They won’t consider her for scholarships because she missed the Dec 1 deadline to apply for scholarships. ** She would have had to apply to the school and for scholarships by Dec 1 to be considered.</p>

<p>If she had decided to graduate early and had applied last Nov, then she would have been fine. But, now, she’s a month too late. It has nothing to do with her graduating early…they won’t consider her because her app would be too late. The same problem would happen if she were a senior and applying now. </p>

<p>That’s why I wrote that she needs to stay another year…even if you have to homeschool her.</p>

<p>Since she’s going to lose out on about $23k per year in scholarships, there’s no good reason for her to graduate early if she wants to go to Bama unless you’re fine with being full-pay.</p>

<p>Is your daughter sure that she wants to graduate early? Does she realize all the things she will be missing out on during her senior year, such as prom and graduating with her peers? Also, an additional year of time (maturity) might help her deal with the responsibilities of college. Does she feel ready to leave home yet? Some students miss home much more than they thought they would.</p>

<p>I would suggest NOT missing the last year of high school if a significant scholarship would be lost.</p>

<p>She can take additional classes which would prepare her for college, dual enrollment courses and AP classes that will make the most (academically) out of her last year. Some students who have completed all their HS credits leave early in the school day and work, to earn money for college.</p>