UFE, CBH or both?

<p>My daughter was accepted a couple of weeks ago and had been planning to apply for the Computer Based Honors program. Then she received a letter in this morning’s mail inviting her to consider applying to University Fellows Experience. Do many students apply to both, or is it better to research them and pick one to apply to?</p>

<p>Students do apply to both. They’re very different programs, and while a few students are admitted to both and thrive in both, they’re looking for different things and many students do not “fit” both programs. If you research the programs and decide that your daughter is a fit for both, I’d definitely apply to both. It might be helpful to talk to/e-mail Dr. Sharpe (CBH) and Dr. Morgan (UFE) if you have questions on the respective programs.</p>

<p>Good Advice from Beth’s Mom. I’d just add here that BOTH programs are VERY competitive, only accepting 40 students per year. Also, as you can imagine ALL of the applicants are highly, HIGHLY qualified. I don’t want to discourage your child from applying to either program, but rather, want to prep you for the fact that getting into either of these programs should not be your make-or-break decision on attending UA. If you search these forums you will find a wealth of information on the programs as well as others within UA that are attainable by students that are not selected for CBH or UFE. Roll Tide and Good Luck!</p>

<p>Does CBH students get an additional scholarship on top of the Presidential?</p>

<p>The CBH has funds for fellowships, but they are mainly used to provide scholarships for students who don’t already have NMF scholarships, from what I understand. There are limited scholarships (usually a couple thousand dollars) for students who already have NMF. </p>

<p>Also, if you have any more questions about the CBH program or experience please let me know! A few of my friends are in CBH and UFE so I could also ask them their opinions.</p>

<p>Be careful not to overload. Both are serious time commitments. Plus, if you’re the type of person who is considering applying/doing both, you will most certainly find TONS of other stuff to do too.</p>

<p>Each program has its own unique attributes, but as has been said above, they are both highly competitive and restricted to about 40 students each. There have been some students in the past who did get accepted into both programs, but I haven’t heard of any students doing both recently. I believe that the UFE program now has an academic class component that it did not have in the past. Perhaps someone in UFE could clarify that. Each program requires a time commitment but CBH does require a 4 credit class each semester for the first year, and then an additional class each semester for years 2 and 3. This is in addition to presentations and the research component of the program.</p>

<p>There are at least two freshman currently doing both programs, but they are certainly very busy and it is hard to be equally involved in both. </p>

<p>To the OP, I would recommend that your daughter apply to both if she’s interested, and if she is accepted then it would probably be wise to think about which one is more aligned with her career goals and what she wants to accomplish in college. I was just talking the other day to one of my friends who is in both, and he was talking about how much more time he spends with CBH friends and his CBH mentor than his UFE friends. In his case, he sometimes wishes he could devote more time to CBH activities. For her, it could be just the opposite. But I would caution against trying to do everything–depth is probably better than breadth. </p>

<p>Thanks,all! @springy179‌, that’s great to hear about the scholarship funds used for those who aren’t NMF; my d missed by a couple of points. I can’t imagine that she would try to do both - it does sound like spreading yourself too thin, even socially, as your friend in both has noticed. D is busy with Nov 1 apps right now but will get serious about looking into these programs once those are out of the way.</p>

<p>My ds absolutely loves CBH. Research is his ultimate goal and definitely why he applied to the program. He has absolutely nothing but wonderful things to say about CBH. I actually spoke to him today and asked him if he would still have chosen UA without CBH and his honest response was that he spends so much time with the kids from CBH and at the CBH lounge that he can’t separate the 2 enough to even answer! He loves it there, so that is all that matters to us.</p>

<p>@Mom2aphysicsgeek‌ - How wonderful! You must be so happy to hear that he’s so happy. We’re looking forward to visiting and learning more about it.</p>