Yes...another thread on "My Chances"

<p>Hey everybody…i know almost every teen in here always posts a new thread about his or her chances to get in…so i will give a brief but concise list of what i’ve done thus far in high school and plan to continue throughout my senior year and hopefully be accepted and run track at Arizona. I don’t want your opinion if i can make their team because i know what my abilities are…lol but just soley on an academic standpoint. Thanks…ok here we go… </p>

<p>-3.2 GPA
-Community Service (Missions Trips etc)
-Tutor in High School
-memeber of a Mentor Program in High School
-Model U.N. Member
-21 on ACT (first time…plan to re-take)<br>
-Freshman Football
-Varsity Track and Field Member and Team Captain
-‘All State’ for State of Michigan for 2006 Indoor and Outdoor in the 60m 100m and 4x100m races
-Student Rep for Health and Reproductive Committee for my school district
-AP Courses and Honor Class taken, plan on taking the tests too in Senior year<br>
-Student Rep on Interview Board for hiring of New Spanish Teacher Positions
-Helped tutor Special Needs Kids at nearby Elementary for half year
-Worked in a Medical Facility for a year (non-volunteer)
-Spanish Club President</p>

<p>ok so yeah thats all i can think of at the moment for my chances to get in at UA and as you might see im not skyrocket in any real academic standpoint but no doubt well rounded, so with all your opinions…what are my chances?? </p>

<p>AND…on their website…it said for academic situations …a student is allowed 2 academic deficiencies…and i was wondering what that meant really…because i might need one in math because of past grades in that criteria. But besides that take a look at what i have to offer, and please reply with your honest opinions…thanks alot!! = ) </p>

<p>o and btw …yes i am out of state student obviously…and no im not asking for any major scholarships from the Uni</p>

<p>Quote: "AND...on their website....it said for academic situations ...a student is allowed 2 academic deficiencies....and i was wondering what that meant really.."</p>

<p>They way it was explained to us on the tour, is if you haven't taken a fine/performing Arts that is a deficiency. It you are miss some requirement for admissions these are what they are talking about.</p>

<p>As to chances I can't say, they are changing who they let in, in an effort to increase graduation rates and freshman retention rates. Being an athelete is different, if the coach has talk to your HS coach then who knows.</p>

<p>thanks for the reply...thats what i thought a "defficieny" would be. </p>

<p>and when you say they are chaning admissions now...like how so? making it much harder?</p>

<p>"The freshmen entering UA in the fall of 2005 had an average unweighted GPA of 3.4, an average combined SAT critical reading and math score of 1122, and an average ACT composite of 23.6. The average unweighted GPA for new transfers from two and four year institutions is 3.2."</p>

<p>When my Daughter applied there was a minimum ACT/SAT score for out of state students. It was 24 for the ACT. It seems that the different requirements have gone away.</p>

<p>To the changes...Arizona changed the law auto admitted folks as long as they were in the top 50% of their class if the graduated from an AZ HS. They now have to be in the top 25%. I know that there are boost given to athletes. So nothing is in stone.</p>

<p>My D is a senior now and my S is appling to UA now. We are also OSS. The only thing I can tell you is work on raising the test scores and apply. Make sure your HS track coach contacts the track coach at UA.</p>

<p>My daughter's gpa was 3.0 and her SAT's were poor and we live out of state. She was accepted for fall 2006, although she chose to go elsewhere. It appears there is lots of leeway and that many fall below the average stats.</p>

<p>afa981, thanks for your comments seems to be as though your a parent that is in the know...cool </p>

<p>and lalady...that certainly gives me more "security" if you will that your daughter was accepted with those crudentials you mentioned....nevertheless...im sure she is a bright student anyway.. </p>

<p>gracias</p>

<p>She is indeed bright, just more social than studious.</p>

<p>I am looking to get some serious scholarships for University of Arizona. Here's my info, any reponses are appreciated. I live in Maryland (out of state) and am a rising senior in HS. </p>

<p>Unweighted GPA: 3.52
Weighted GPA: 3.75</p>

<p>SATs: 620 Writing, 620 Verbal, 580 Math</p>

<p>Extras:</p>

<p>Marching Band
Symphonic Band
Summer 2006 8 Week Internship: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Amnesty International
National Honors Society</p>

<p>In college, I hope to study either aeronautical engineering or astronomy.</p>

<p>I don't think you'll be getting "serious" scholarships for a 3.5 gpa and 1200 SAT, you'll get in, but your test scores aren't that high.</p>

<p>hey business guy...what do you think of me just GETTING IN haha... </p>

<p>?</p>

<p>Your GPA isn't going to hurt you, but it won't help you, and your various extracurriculars are good, but the most important factor for you will be test scores.</p>

<p>If you can get a good SAT or ACT score then you'll be in for sure, as it is you still have a chance, but U of A's application is pretty number-driven from last I remember, so study hard and get those scores up. Hopefully around a 1200/1600 maybe? If not that, just do your best and give it a shot; again, U of A isn't <em>that</em> competitive of a school, and it's pretty large, so you still have a shot.</p>

<p>Unless I missed it, nobody's mentioned the Board of Regents requirements, though maybe that's because they go without saying. That is, before the U of A looks at your extra curriculars or whether you took AP classes, they're going to look to see if you've taken the 4 years math, four years English, three years lab science, 2 years social studies (including 1 year American history), 2 years of a foreign language and one year fine arts. (Check the requirements for yourself -- I may have missed something.) </p>

<p>For assured admission, you need to be an Arizona resident, within the top 25% of your class, and you need to meet all these requirements. They'll consider you if you have two deficiencies -- for example, 3 years English and 3 years math, for example-- but the deficiencies can't be in the same area (can't have 2 years English) and you can't have deficiencies in both math and science. But if you have more than two deficiencies they won't consider you.</p>

<p>I've just helped my daughter and three of her friends go through the application process at the U of A. They all got in, but literally every step of the way, if there was an opportunity for someone at the university to screw up, they would. Then they would tell us it was our fault. They lost transcripts, denied awarding financial aid until they were shown copies of the award (signed by the person I was talking to!), required a third generation Tucsonan to go down to campus to sign an affadivit and then reapply as an instate resident when they decided she was from out of state (they did the same thing to an adult friend of mine who's been taking classes for years and works full time for the U of A). My daughter applied before the deadline but did not receive her acceptance letter until all the dorms were filled and the June orientations over. Another girl was initially rejected but then went down personally with letters of recommendation, copies of her senior project, her portfolio, and four years' worth of class evaluations. She made a great impression and was accepted. </p>

<p>The best screw up was committed by NAU, however. They rejected one of my daughter's friends because she had deficiencies in math and science. (BTW, they won't tell you why you're rejected - you need to call because it might be something you can fix.) As they explained it, she needed 4 years of math and she only had a year each of algebra, geometry, and advanced algebra, plus a half year of trig and a half year of pre-calc. They didn't just correct the mistake on the spot when it was pointed out to them -- she had to reapply!</p>

<p>I guess the lesson is -- verify everything you're told, keep copies of everything, follow up on the process, don't assume they know what they're doing or are taking care of it. You can get them to treat you like an individual--if it's something within their discretion to fix. </p>

<p>For the most part, everyone we dealt with was nice.</p>

<p>Another thing to verify before deciding to go to U of A is whether the things that attract you will actually be available to you. My daughter liked the description of the small, intellectually exciting honors college classes. She's in the honors college, but she hasn't been able to get into any of their classes her first semester. The Honors College personnel (again, they're nice!) apologize and explain that there really aren't enough honors college sections.</p>

<p>hey I have a 86 avg, 82.5 9th and 10th, and a 93 for 11th grade. Senior year I will be taking 3 AP's and will prolly have a 90 avg. My SAT r 1120, good ec's, what r my chances for out of state?</p>

<p>Eh... your GPA and test scores are pretty much average, so it could go either way. U of A has rolling admissions, so just apply and you'll get a decision within a month or two.</p>

<p>BusinessGuy - to whom were you responding??</p>

<p>I was responding to Raffi, by the way, U of A is accepting applications already, and assuming you get your test scores and transcript over there soon, you can get a decision within a month; I already recieved my acceptance to ASU.</p>

<p>k, congrats tho</p>

<p>All of the above posts are accurate according to the information we were given on our tour. In addition, the admissions process at UA takes three steps:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>application is reviewed for general admission and if you have extenuating circumstances, they will consider these, also</p></li>
<li><p>application is reviewed for honors college admittance (all applicants)</p></li>
<li><p>application is reviewed for financial aid (all applicants)</p></li>
</ol>

<p>If you have extenuating circumstances, you should let the school know. They consider it all.</p>

<p>Arizona doesn't require the writing portion of the ACT, right?</p>

<p>no, I don't believe so</p>