Your Campus Housing Experience: Did you get your first choice?

<p>Right now, I can list the top 3 dorms I want (Liz Waters, Chadbourne, Kronshage) . After that, I'm not sure of anything. Other dorms to me are either too far away, too loud, or cost an extra $1000 (maybe I just need to man up). I'm worried that I may be placed in my 4th thru 18th choice dorm through Madison's lotto. </p>

<p>Based on your experinces, what choice dorm where you placed in? Were you happy with your freshman dorm assignment? </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman there now and she got her first choice which was Kronshage. She’s very happy with it.</p>

<p>If you make Chadbourne learning community your top choice, you will get it (extra $300 fee for CRC), and get to choose your room. Not sure what deadline is/was on this though.</p>

<p>Do NOT choose your dorm based on your chances of getting it. Only choose Chad if that’s the one you want. Many of the other Lakeshore dorms are no further than the Kronshage houses. You are torn between the highrise on busy University Ave close to classes (Chad), central Liz and Lakeshore Kronshage. It is possible to get your first choice and equally possible to not get a popular dorm. Do your rankings as if you were going to get that dorm- put your least favorites on the bottom and foavorites on the top. Consider overall location- highrise Southeast or generally small building Lakeshore dorms. Every dorm has pros and cons. You could get the worst room in your favorite dorm or a nicer one in a lesser choice. Someone has to be furthest from… or next to…or overlooking… </p>

<p>Make lists of your priorities using info from the Res Halls website. You may discover you really prefer one area of campus over another, a building style or room factors. Then rank all dorms. Your 4th or lower choices will have advantages over your higher ranked choices- all dorms have pros and cons. All are well maintained with comparable amenities (you could be closer to a dining hall but further from a snack bar…). All dorms will have UW students, mostly freshmen like yourself. No matter where you live you will be close enough to enjoy the entire campus and surrounding area.</p>

<p>Make your list and don’t worry. The whole campus is your neighborhood.</p>