Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

RD Date: Cal Poly SLO has announced that all applicants will be notified of their admission status by April 1. Some decisions have come out early as mentioned by this thread.

Hey everyone! This is for those of us who applied to Cal Poly SLO for Class of 2025.

3 Likes

Every year the decision timeline changes but the pattern remains relatively the same.

SLO states you will have a decision by April.

Last year a few International applicants heard in January. Last year they rolled out a wave of OOS applicant acceptances in Early March then followed by in-state applicants. After that, there were more acceptances during a 2 week period and then the waitlisted applicants were notified followed finally by the rejections. This process can last through March.

3 Likes

My daughter also applied out of state- the students from her high school heard in March last year… around spring break.

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

I’m a us citizen but applying from aboard. I got my admission decision a couple weeks back

1 Like

I’m intl. I got my decision in December. Admitted for CS.

2 Likes

congratulations to those admitted already! Would you mind sharing your major, GPA (weighted capped GPA year 9-11), curriculum rigor, and hours for work & EC.

1 Like

Hey MrRobot2018! Nice to see you here from the UMich forum. My D21 applied to SLO.

1 Like

I got into Psychology. My school doesn’t do GPA but I steadily get 93%+ average for all my exams. I dont have a choice of curriculum rigor as it is standardized. I spent a lot of hours and time on ECs like soccer, yearbook, event organization, basketball, and many others and worked as a writer for a privatized blogging company for a few months. Cal Poly only evaluated me based on my transcripts tho

2 Likes

Wow, didn’t realize Cal Poly sent out decisions yet. Any US students accepted yet?

I knew internationals are typically first to hear, but yes, this seems a bit early. @Gumbymom would know.

@MrRobot2018: I saw a few International applicants and also US applicants living abroad whom received decisions in December and January last year from SLO. Hard to tell how many were actually accepted since CC posters are only a small group in comparison to the # of applicants.

The majority will hear probably in March. The SLO timeline seems to get pushed out farther each year. When my son’s applied 6 and 7 years ago, decisions came out the 2nd week in February like clockwork.

What’s the rationale for alerting international students early? Just curious.

1 Like

@Seabass927: Your guess is as good as mine. Lock them in early since non-residents pay higher tuition costs? Also SLO has been know to be less diverse than other CSU campuses, so International students add more diversity to the student body?

both those explanations make sense to me! I’m looking at the early international acceptances in the context of the giant rise in applications at both the UCs and CP, and I’m feeling like ANY UC or CP is now a reach, even for my instate kid (EE) who’s a 4.4 uncapped with 13 APs. I’m resetting expectations that he may not get in to any of them - it feels like this year is a crapshoot. Something is wrong with the system when your kid is 7th in a class of 850 and you have this much angst. Thankfully, he got in to SDSU in December.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree with you more about the the system not working well for high stat kids here in California. We have a similar situation and stats, but my son is applying CS. He is content with his OOS acceptances and with the December SDSU admit, but we are still anxiously awaiting what will likely be a waitlist filled spring.

4 Likes

I feel for you with the major being CS (probably the only more competitive major than EE?) :grinning: I hate we told our kid as a 9th grader to just do X, Y, and Z and he’d have his choice of well-regarded in-state schools, and now we are saying…maybe not so much.

What OOS acceptances did your son get? Mine is in at Boulder, U of A (honors), ASU (honors), Mines, and Purdue. Deferred at Northeastern and MIT.

1 Like

Mine is hoping to stay close to home so his OOS are all closer to CA. He is in at Utah, Oregon and Oregon State. Utah is actually ranked higher for CS Game Design than any UC, so that’s a great admit for him, but I know that he is hoping to stay in California.

Best wishes to your son. My daughter’s friend just 2 years ago got into SLO for EE and he was totally shocked because he didn’t think his stats would get him in. There is hope. It’s just a long wait.

Yes, Utah’s game design is very well regarded - congrats to your son! We’ll get through this - maybe battered and bruised, but I hold out hope that all of our kids will end up where they’re meant to!

1 Like

Hi
My son has similar stats (not as many APs though had to take too many athletic PE classed due to sports) and is very hopeful for Cal Poly. He is hoping to study business. He too is in at ASU honors and UofA honors, Alabama, SDSU, Utah Biz Scholars but think he is hoping to stay in CA (we are Nor Cal). He has also applied to Cal, UCLA, UCD, UCSB, and Chapman. The wait is killing me. The only thing other thing I worry about the CA schools is how they will be handling COVID in the Fall. Good Luck to everyone!

5 Likes