OOS scholarship question

<p>My goal was a 29 on the ACT so I could receive the half off tuition level of the scholarship. To my surprise I achieved that on my first attempt. My parents said I could go to bama if the costs were around what they were at UMich. I’m wondering if anyone knows if the half off tuition scholarship I would be receiving would put me close enough to U of M’s cost wise or if I should push for the 30. I realize this is a pretty specific question sorry hah!</p>

<p>Are you a junior? If so, then definitely retest (take the SAT as well) so that you can get a 30+ or a 1330+ SAT.</p>

<p>Right now, your cost is about the same as UMich. Half tuition is about $12k per year, which is about Umich’s tuition, but why not try for a better merit award???</p>

<p>Besides, no one knows for sure what next year’s merit awards will be. They may stay the same, but they may change for next year’s applicants. The amounts right now are for this year’s applicants.</p>

<p>Also if you enter as an Engineering major, you receive an additional $1500/year in stipend from the College of Engineering. If you improve to 30 ACT or 1330 SAT you get full tuition supplement plus $2500 stipend if the scholarship requirements stay the same from College of Engineering. </p>

<p>If you are not interested in Engineering then you should try to get 32 ACT or 1400 SAT for full tuition scholarship. 30-31 ACT only gives you 2/3 Tuition scholarship.</p>

<p>Yeah unfortunately I’m most likely going to major in advertising. I’m gonna really aim to get a 30 because I also plan on rushing so that is an added expense.</p>

<p>xoxololo</p>

<p>Then you should declare Engineering as your 1st major and Journalism as your 2nd major. The cost of doing a double major will be the same but you will have lower college cost because of the benefit of being in Engineering. At the same time you will have a degree that is sought after by employers if journalism doesn’t pan out.</p>

<p>You are aware that Engineers starting salaries are about twice the starting salaries of journalists. In addition, you would have an advantage over other journalist job seekers because you will have a technical background for journalist jobs that require an understanding of technology and/or engineering.</p>

<p>that’s crazytalk!</p>

<p>someone who is interested in majoring in journalism probably isn’t a good fit with engineering.</p>

<p>you can’t just major in engineering because you want the extra scholarship money.</p>

<p>I totally agree with MikeW. Not everyone is engineering material…you really have to not only like the concept of engineering but you need to have the aptitude for the subject material including both math and physics. Students shouldn’t choose to major in engineering just for the extra dollars. </p>

<p>In my opinion, students really go to college to learn what they may want to do in life while taking the time to acquiring a well-rounded education. College should awaken new avenues of interest. It is certainly fine to want to be an engineer or a pre-med student but many students do not stay in their first major choice. There are many options and NOT wanting to be an engineer is one of them.</p>

<p>I agree with Mike. Majoring in engineering just for the scholarship money may very well be a recipe for failure.</p>

<p>I agree that someone who’s interested in Journalism probably isn’t a good fit for most/all eng’g disciplines. The student may also not be strong enough in math…a necessity for eng’g majors. </p>

<p>also, it would be very hard to double major in Eng’g and J.</p>

<p>The extra $10k over 4 years isn’t worth it if you’re not cut out for the major.</p>

<p>WHoa! people settle down. I am not telling her what to do. I am just giving xoxololo a suggestion if money is an important issue in going to Alabama over UMich. No where did she state that she is not capable of doing engineering but that she wants to major in Advertising. If she has the ability to do engineering then she should look at this as an option if cost is a factor.</p>

<p>mom2college </p>

<p>If xoxololo does not improve from her 29 ACT then I agree the additional $6K over 4 years is not worth it, but if she improves to 30 ACT the amount extra is not $10K over 4 years, but over $40K+ over 4 years because College of Engineering will supplement her to full tuition from 2/3 tuition scholarship. </p>

<p>So if she is capable of doing Engineering and Advertising then this is a great option. In fact, she could try it out and if she doesn’t like it then she can always opt out of Engineering at a later date, but she can not opt in after enrolling at Alabama for the Engineering scholarship.</p>

<p>Her best case scenario is to go out an get at least a 32 ACT or 1400 SAT taking the test as many times as need be to achieve that but if she can only get a 30 ACT then what I suggested is an OPTION.</p>

<p>The UA College of Communications is one of the best in the country. Can the same be said of UMich? That could be a selling point to your parents. My DD’s classes have been challenging and portfolio/job oriented. She is expected to use the latest technology and media tools. She is a PR major, but the Advertising track shares many of the same basic classes. If money is a huge issue be sure to calculate transportation costs into your overall expenses. The cost of driving down with hotels, flying home at winter Thanksgiving/Winter Break, going somewhere for Spring Break can be a couple of thousand dollars a year. There are many, many UA OOS students who live outside the 4-hour easy driving distance ring. They make it work. But you have to be sure it will work for your situation.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It can happen. My D is a Journalism major and a Mathematics major. And is in CBH with plenty of engineering majors.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the help! I just found out that I will most likely be granted extended time on the march ACT, I had not received it the time I took it and got a 29. So I’m thinking ill be able to raise my score to at least a 30 because the timing is what was hurting me most. I really have started to hate math over the years so ill probably steer clear of the engineering! I mostly was just wondering if someone knew how the overall costs compared to U of M’s like including housing and things like that because I was too lazy to look all that up myself hah!</p>

<p>There are some students who list engineering as their intended major, decide that the subject is not for them, take classes in a different major all the way through and then, at the end, declare that other major for their degree. While that does not sound too honest, it does happen. </p>

<p>MikeWozowski: My husband is a sports broadcaster – he has a degree in applied statistics. It is possible that someone wants to be a radio engineer and is able to do communications and engineering.</p>