2,800 applicants waitlisted!

<p>Okay so I recently got waitlisted.
This is what the letter says:</p>

<p>This year Virginia Tech received over 21,00 applications and offered admission to approx. 12,950 applicants; we expect 5,025 to accept our offer and enroll. If we have fewer than 5,025 students accept our offer, we will offer admission to some of the students who choose to remain on our waitlist. About 2,800 students are receiving this wait list decision this year.</p>

<p>That is such a large number! Chances of getting in for me are so slim. BUT STILL...for all of you who are considering VT, if you don't really want to go there and are iffy about it, PLEASE REJECT YOUR OFFER. there's so many people, including myself, who were waitlisted who would loveeeeeeeeeeeee to go there!</p>

<p>Also, did anyone else who was waitlisted decline the option to stay on waitlist?</p>

<p>Even though I got into VT, I feel your pain. I just found out that I was waitlisted at W&M. Seriously, everyone and their mom got waitlisted this year.</p>

<p>If I get into UVA, I'd be happy to give up my spot at Tech. If not, I'm going to VT.</p>

<p>Seriously! 5 seniors in my class out of a total of 60 just heard from Villanova. All waitlisted! Also 2 seniors got waitlisted from gettysburg and 1 from providence. So many waitlisted decisions no acceptances or denials! Weird</p>

<p>A waitlist should basically be treated as a rejection. If it's your top choice it's nice to still have a slim shot at it, but generally it's the same as being rejected</p>

<p>I'm basically guessing here, but does anyone else think that the huge waitlist is a result of the economy? Many OOSers that may have come here in other years may choose to go to a cheaper in-state school.</p>

<p>Ive read several news articles and seen news segments talking about how because of the economy public schools are becoming more competitive since those who are able to get into elite expensive schools are not able to go for financial reasons, creating a larger pool of applicants for a school like Tech. If that is what your referring to.</p>

<p>They admitted 13K and expecting 5K? Incredible.</p>

<p>Exactly, what happens if more than the 5 expected accept the offer? Will they have to reject some?</p>

<p>No, they will have to make room for them. This has happened before where they had more than 200 extra students coming in.</p>

<p>Normally the yield is pretty consistent, but I would hate to be in the school's shoes waiting to see what the final numbers end up being in today's financial atmosphere. VT is an educational bargain, even for OOS.</p>

<p>A lot of schools this year have a hard time fifuring out their yields. Once again because of the economy.</p>

<p>is this including the tranfers too or just the high school senior applicants?</p>

<p>It's yield problems where they admit too many and more enroll than they would expect that lead to having housing shortages, forcing 3 people into a 2 person dorm, and driving up the competition to get into some classes.
Schools have gotten pretty good at making the numbers work out, but they do mess up sometimes, and who know what will happen with the economy so uncertain (they are definitely relying more on waitlists and some colleges are taking more advantage of ED applicants)</p>

<p>I had heard that Tech accepted fewer students this year, hoping to take people from their waitlist. I'm personally on the waitlist too... and it stinks! Does anyone know how many students they accepted last year? This year is making all public education so much more competive with the economy...</p>

<p>I heard that VT was a little more lenient than they usually are with accepting ED applicants, so they couldn't accept as many RDs.</p>

<p>My D's waitlisted letter mentions that the thousands of waitlisted kids are being carried in no particular order or priority on the wait list. How then do they decide who to give the next vacancy to, assuming there are any?</p>

<p>Again, it makes more sense to accept more ED applicants to reduce the variability in the numbers in what promises to be a very, very unusual year for college admissions in general. Since they aren't really sure how many people are actually going to accept the offer of admissions due to the economy they may have protected themselves a bit by getting a few more "guarantees" than they otherwise would have (not necessarily letting people in who wouldn't have ever gotten in anyway, but letting people in ED who in past years probably would have gotten deferred/accepted.) Just my mostly uneducated opinion though.</p>

<p>Boardwalker, my understanding of an unranked waitlist is that when the final acceptances are tallied up, and they find they have vacancies in say, the college of science and the engineering school, that they then go through the waitlist and pull out all those that fit into those schools. Then they go through only those applications, and pick from there to fill in the spaces.</p>

<p>I got accepted but will be going to Rutgers. I didn't realize that I should let them know I won't be coming. Now that I do, I will inform them.</p>

<p>Hopefully fhlx's spot goes to one of us deserving wailisted applicants!</p>

<p>yes...and hopefully there are 8,000 plus more FHLX's out there</p>