2018 Stamps/Singer/Weeks Scholarship Weekend

Hi!
I’m a Florida resident that’s been accepted into the Univ. of Miami.
I’ve been invited to the scholarship weekend at Miami for the March 2/3 weekend and I wanted to connect with other students going to that weekend - hopefully to create a group so that the weekend isn’t as daunting.
And any advice for the weekend would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to connect with some people soon!

Could you put the link for where to sign up for that is?

How were you notified of your invitation to the scholarship weekend and did you apply ED or EA?

Just want to say good luck to those attending the scholarship weekends. My daughter graduated a couple of years ago, but she was a Stamps Scholar. It’s an incredible program.

I’ll be going to the March weekend!!! Can’t wait! I’m out of state from Maryland. I’ve heard that the interview is super chill so hopefully it’ll be that way for this year and you’re interviewed by a professor and student from your major. ahhh i’m still so nervous!

Anyone know when Hammond Scholarship candidates will be notified?

@ljheatjc The link was in an email they sent out in mid Jan. The RSVP closed on Jan. 25, so the link doesn’t do anything anymore

@lidify The invitation was sent out by UM in mid January. I applied EA

@cams18 yeah, I saw the same thing from other forums too. I’m pretty nervous too, but I hope it goes well for both of us!

@dumbo11 Thanks! I’m really excited for this opportunity and I hope it goes well!

I was not invited despite having fairly high stats. Also received no merit aid. Anyone else?

My daughter received an email mid Jan. She and the wife will be there in March. She just received her acceptance letter on 2/1/18. She is up for Stamps, Singers and Weeks. Congrats to all of you and good luck. My daughter loves the U.

@mikemargo11 yes, same position.

FL Resident, going for March 2-3. Super excited!!! Got my invitation mid-late January.

@Mom2NND @Mikemargo11 It’s a weird admissions/selection process, but then again that’s how most schools are. I have IB kids from my school with 35s-36s on the ACT and 4.0’s who got little to no merit money, and I know kids with lower stats that got the interview invitation. I guess they look more heavily on extracurriculars/community service/essays/recommendations.

@Luvtheatl Congrats to your daughter! Hope everything goes well for your daughter!

@aneeshs17 Congrats on the invitation! Hope the weekend goes well for you too!

For those who received the Stamps/Singer weekend invite, did you also receive a separate merit award, such as Presidential, when you were admitted recently? S18 was admitted and invited to Stamps/Singer, but no mention of separate merit when admitted, which seems odd.

@vistajay I got invited to the stamps+singer+weeks scholarships and also got just over 44k scholarships money (presidential, cane grant, etc)… make sure to triple check your kid’s message board on canelink. however if they really didn’t get any aid, I heard that if you don’t get one of the scholarships from scholarship weekend, most if not all students invited will receive a few thousand dollars added onto their merit scholarships…

My D received:
10k cane achievement award
18.8k um coral grant
3k wk study
3k fdsl
Total of 34.8k

What were everyone’s stats?

@Mikemargo11 – Here are mine…
Major: Sports Administration
Scholarships: $44,800 (all merit w/ $3,000 attributed to a federal loan ew but fine) – was invited to scholarship weekend for Stamps, Singer, and Weeks scholarship (will be attending in March)
SAT: 1450
GPA: 3.89 unweighted, 4.68 weighted
AP: French (4), NSL (3), World History (2), Lang (5), Art History (4), AB Calculus (5)
Senior Year Course Load: AP Photo, AP Psych, AP Human Geo, AP Lit, AP Econ Micro/Macro, Hon. Spanish 4, AP BC Calculus
Major Awards: Posse Scholarship nominee, Academic awards through a local Fraternity chapter
Extracurriculars: Poms Dance Team (Captain Jr + Snr years), Black Student Union (Secretary - 9,10,11 - Founding member), National Honor Society, Rho Kappa Honor Society
Volunteer/Community service: Mentoring/tutoring of an elementary student through school program
State: Maryland – OOS
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: Mixed – Race: African-American
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Father is immigrant from Cameroon so I had to learn French at a you
Demonstrated major interest in the school and some financial need