2nd Bachelors in Nursing

<p>I have a BA in psychology from a private LAC. I have worked for the past year as a human resources manager but this is not overly fulfilling work. To make this brief: I am considering returning to complete a second bachelors degree in nursing and perhaps go on to be a Nurse Practitioner. I am interested in psychiatric nursing for adolescents and young adults. </p>

<p>Does anyone have any feedback on good schools for my psych background, 3.75 GPA, magna cum laude, and with honors in psychology? I live in the northeastern PA area and would like to limit my search to that area. </p>

<p>I am also trying to find a good volunteer opportunity in psychiatric work, or something similar so I have a realistic idea of what is involved beyond the classroom work. </p>

<p>I have looked briefly at Thomas Jefferson, Cedar Crest College, and a few other schools that I need to research more details on. Does anyone else have recommendations for schools with 2nd bachelor's options in the PA, NY, NJ areas? </p>

<p>Also, does having a BA in psychology provide any advantage, since I am looking at psychiatric nursing? Or do they look at it like any other 1st bachelor degree and not care much about it? Thank you!</p>

<p>Slightly off topic but relevant, don’t discount the idea of a 2 year ADN. I had a bachelor’s degree in music and education. I completed my ADN after seriously considering (and being accepted to) 2nd BSN programs. What I found (10 years ago) was that having a bachelor’s degree allowed me to ‘skip’ the BSN requirement for further study (master’s and beyond), save a heap of money, have increased clinical hours and skills upon graduation, and have a more ‘normal’ family life. I have heard from countless people that the rigor and compression of 2nd BSN programs is intense beyond the normal nursing school rigor and stress (which is already very high). If you have considerations like family or work, the ADN program is something to explore. Things may have changed in 10 years, but my choice has not hindered me at all in my practice. Good luck to you!</p>

<p>Some (many?) colleges with undergraduate BSN Nursing Programs offer something called an “Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN” for people that already have a Baccalaureate Degree. Here is a link to one at the University of Pittsburgh that my niece will be graduating from in December.
[Accelerated</a> 2nd Degree BSN | Academics at the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing](<a href=“http://www.nursing.pitt.edu/academics/accelerated.jsp]Accelerated”>http://www.nursing.pitt.edu/academics/accelerated.jsp)
It is very fast paced and not easy, but if you already have a Baccalaureate Degree and want to become a nurse it may be the quickest route.
Good Luck!</p>

<p>fiveteens - I will definitely have to look into whether I can go on to a masters/NP program without a BSN, this would be a huge money saver if I just went for my RN and my psych degree was enough for admission. My mom is an LPN and she said it is easier to find a better paying position with a bachelor’s degree in nursing rather than just an RN/associates, but I didn’t like the idea of overloading myself with an accelerated program and I wasn’t sure how much weight my psych degree might carry. I do not have kids or a significant other to worry about and I could make it by with a part-time job with whatever option I chose. Thanks for the feedback!</p>

<p>Check it out! Within my facility (a major teaching hospital in NE), I am considered ‘bachelor’s prepared’ because of my other degree. It was actually our flagship university that told me to skip the ‘RN to BSN’ programs they were pushing to other ADN RNs, because I could go right into their MSN/NP program. Best of luck, whatever you decide! Nursing is a great career, and I have never looked back! Now, psych nursing on the other hand… ; )</p>

<p>I am the father of a school teacher[music education and music performance] who found out the school environment is not fun. She wants to study for a 2nd degree bachelor of nursing degree. One of your posts sounds similar to my daughter but I am not familiar with the term ADN. What is this and can you direct me to information that I can research? Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>ADN is an associate’s degree in nursing that is often granted by community colleges and some branch campuses, and that allows you to take the RN exam.</p>