2nd School

Applied to Engineering but accepted into L&S as it was my 2nd option
UW GPA: 3.3
ACT: 28
Pretty okay EC’s

Does the school state in writing that you got denied to a specific school or do you just have to assume that you were put in your 2nd option because you didn’t get into your preferred school?

Same here - applied for engineering but accepted into L&S (2nd option) with no explanation.

How can we find out if deny or deferred for first option?

Not sure, but my son’s portal and letter says he was admitted directly to Mechanical Engineering in the College of Engineering. So I would assume it means you weren’t admitted to engineering. I’m not sure if you get an acceptance to L&S if that means you would be reconsidered for Engineering in the regular round. I wouldn’t think so, but you could call and ask.

L&S is the largest and default college/school for most freshmen. Not all who become engineers will start directly with that. It has only been recently that UW has offered direct admission to Engineering. Most will have to do well enough at UW to get into engineering- see the website for criteria. It should not be a problem if you do well enough in math/science classes to do well with an engineering major.

You are admitted to the university as a whole. Once in you can change your major, assuming you meet criteria (eg good enough grades).

@wis75 - Thanks for lot for the info and encouragement. You reply is keeping me hopes alive :slight_smile: Happy Holidays!!!

Schools that have limited enrollment programs, like Engineering and Business, provide a set of criteria they are looking for in freshman admits. This set of criteria is above what is required to be admitted to the University as a whole. Students that do not meet the CoE criteria, but meet the University’s criteria are admitted to their second choice major. Here is a link regarding cross-college transfer to CoE:
https://www.engr.wisc.edu/academics/student-services/academic-advising/cross-campus-students/

You will need to do well- mostly A’s in your UW courses to likely be competitive for an engineering major. Of course, if you don’t do that well engineering may not be your best option. You will get SOAR advising for courses to take next summer and since most freshman classes for engineering are in L&S (think math and sciences plus breadth requirements) you will still be on track. You will not be able to goof off and get only B’s (or worse). The CoE criteria may be met but there is enough demand among top students so not all who qualify will get in- slightly different than post #5’s take on things.

@wis75, I assure you my take on the situation is the correct take on the situation.

Post # 7-huh? “Correct take”??? There will be those who meet criteria but if there are far too many those qualified may not get into a program. Not sure this is happening, ie that all who qualify will get in to a program as freshman. Those who do not get direct admits to programs could still qualify based on a good UW record even if their HS record did not get them in. I think we’re starting to do a semantics thing. Your future is not etched in stone as an entering freshman.