74 arrested in Tuscaloosa drug roundup

<p>From the looks of those pictures, I’m betting a fair number are UA students.</p>

<p>MODERATOR’S NOTE</p>

<p>Please note that links to Twitter or other social sites are not allowed on CC. Quotes of emails are not permitted, either.</p>

<p>I was going to delete this thread for these reasons, but I’ve decided to delete the material and let the discussion continue.</p>

<p>Yikes! Looks like you are right on that bet. President Bonner just sent out an email addressing the arrests.</p>

<p>Looks like our posts crossed paths :)</p>

<p>26 of them are UA students, in fact. I for am shocked that some college kids out there smoke pot.</p>

<p>“Small group,” my rear end!</p>

<p>Ha! Feeno, I was thinking the same thing.</p>

<p>26 students out of 74 arrests, on a campus of 30,000. All for marijuana? </p>

<p>Yea, that wasn’t a waste of time and taxpayer money. </p>

<p>Meanwhile…other students who were not caught (guilty or not) had their academic day interrupted… </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Knew you’d all have the 411 on that email. Thanks :)</p>

<p>Perhaps this will ease the housing crunch next year.</p>

<p>(((sarcasm)))</p>

<p>^^^^that was actually the first thing I said to my daughter. Maybe the housing issue will go away :wink: Unfortunately, it’s Preview weekend, UFE & CBHP interview weekend coming up. Hopefully, it will die down by then.</p>

<p>Did we get an email from UA about the student beaten and stolen from by the football players? I don’t remember receiving one.</p>

<p>Took the words right out of my mouth SMBradshaw.</p>

<p>Amen, Sister Bradshaw.</p>

<p>A similar thing happened when I was in school. Quite a few students, including six members of my boyfriend’s Old Row fraternity, were arrested. It was a sting operation where the students were set up in a fairly messy way. To my knowledge, none of the student arrests turned into convictions. One of those arrested was named an Academic All-American by USA Today (I believe–one of the big national pubs, anyway) later the same year (before his trial which actually occurred after he graduated) and had a job with a Big 6 firm right out of college. The others have done well for themselves, as well. While I somehow made it all the way through school and the rest of my life without doing any drugs or drinking and don’t condone any illegal activity at all… Marijuana? Are they serious? IMO, if they want to get people’s attention, they need to go for the people dealing drugs that aren’t on the verge of legalization. The arrests 30 years ago were more of a campus joke and a nuisance to those arrested than a deterrent. Nothing changed. Bring down a couple of students with hardcore drug convictions and THAT might get some kids thinking…</p>

<p>The deal with pot is the pushers use it as the gateway drug. They freely give it out for free to those they suspect have the money to buy drugs. They get them hooked on pot then get them going on a few prescription drugs. Then they have them hooked and make them start paying for the drugs. </p>

<p>Throw in the use now of all of the chemical mixes they use for and in marijuana and dro. It’s not as innocent as some seem to think. </p>

<p>There was a big drug bust at TCU last year that involved many students and even football players. </p>

<p>Also remember that many of these people then become desperate for their fix that they can resort to stealing, burglary, etc. for the funds to buy their next hit.</p>

<p>I just knew the Honey Badger was going to snitch us out! Sheesh, slippy. You people! ;)</p>

<p>If UA wants to, ahem, weed out the real miscreants who pose a threat to the safety and moral/ethical fiber of our community, they better keep their eye on the ball and focus on those who rob, maim, and defraud their fellow students.</p>

<p>That said, those who knowingly traffic in or possess contraband assume the risks inherent in such activity, regardless of their disagreements with the law. As always, choose wisely.</p>

<p>Tx and Malanai, I agree with both of you. I just hope this sting was less messy than the one when I was there, and I wish they would go for the “bigger fish”. The kids know who the real dealers are. If the authorities don’t get the dealers and, instead, trick non-dealers into taking the fall (as was the case when I was there), the kids lose respect for the process. If the allegations don’t stick in court, nothing is really accomplished and, as others have pointed out, it’s a waste of time, energy and a lot of taxpayer dollars. I agree that marijuana today is quite different than it was 30 years ago (good point that I had not thought about). However, just as is true on every high school and college campus in the US, hardcore drugs are just as easily accessed and, IMO, more likely to both get a conviction and more attention, than Marijuana charges. Hope I’m wrong. But I’m not convinced that this is going to be a “game changer” yet.</p>

<p>I know this is serious, but I imagine there will be plenty of rooms available in Mallet after today. Sorry, couldn’t resist.</p>

<p>Monte gut, are you implying Mallet kids get pounded? Lol</p>

<p>I despise drugs, and have only rarely smoked pot, but the drug war is really stupid. We need to treat drug abuse like a public health problem, not a criminal one. In addition, we need to consider the hypocrisy of a nation that grabs a legal though often toxic pill for every single ailment, yet treats natural substances like cannabis as if they were created by Satan instead of God. Who is threatened by drug legalization? Industries that do not want to compete against industrial hemp, law enforcement agencies who need to stay busy, and those that want to continue to have a monopoly on treatment for conditions like depression and anxiety. This is NOT the land of the free.</p>

<p>Sadly, I saw a good kid from a good family get caught up in a mess like this. She never got busted but it sure ruined a lot of her chances. She is a senior this year in HS and instead of getting ready for college she completed her Army physical this week. Mom was a wreck and just last week she remarked how much has changed in a little less than years time. Her daughter got befriended by a guy that then started offering her pot. Then it was the prescription drugs. $2000 in drugs later she ended up in a pysch ward. She has come thru and is one strong little girl. So is her mom! </p>

<p>Last week the ex boyfriend was busted in Florida for burglary of habititation. Drugs were involved. </p>

<p>Knowing what I do about how these dealers work and how they use the “easy stuff” as the gateway drugs to get new clients… pot is not so innocent. Nevermind all of the things like dro and lord knows what else. </p>

<p>Yes, in very high school and college (and middle school) if a kid really wants drugs they can find it. There are fools out there that actually post pics of them with their “kush”. I saw one where he even posted his phone number, sorry, I busted out laughing when I saw that one. Some of these dopeheads are not that bright.</p>

<p>Look up dro.
Then there are the bath salts. Crazy stuff.
As soon as one chemical drug is made illegal they are cooking up the next one to market. They make this stuff that can be sold at the local 7-11 on the counter. Till the FDA and DEA figures out it is a chemical drug. All the people that get caught up in this mess all started with something small and “innocent” and most likely free.</p>

<p>Treat it like a public health problem, and reduce the profit motive by legalizing it and you will see great reductions in the problem. </p>

<p>It is quite ludicrous that pot is considered worse than alcohol.</p>