Academit Admits- SAT Score

I’m applying to A&M this fall and I need some advice about what I should do-
Although I’m in the top 25% of my class, I don’t qualify for academic admission due to my SAT score- I’m only 60 points away from having a combined SAT score of 1300 in math and reading. I wasn’t planning on retaking the SAT because I already took it twice and I don’t want to ask my dad for another $50, but I’m starting to think that maybe I have no other option but to retake it if I want to get into A&M (I’m in the top 20%, weighted GPA 4.8, unweighted GPA 3.8-3.9… so I’m not gonna stand out…)

Should I retake it? And if I do retake it, it would be in Oct. 3rd… would that be too late? The application term begins on August 1st and I know the sooner the better. Is there like a rule about how soon your SAT scores should follow your application? Or will it be a mistake to send my application in August and my SAT scores at the end of October…? Sorry, I don’t have any older siblings to ask about colleges

@Texas0023 - You can also make Academic Admit with a 30 on the ACT. My two youngest sons did quite a bit better on the ACT than the SAT, on a percentile basis. Both took the SAT twice, and then moved on to the ACT. Both got 33s the first and only times they took the ACT.

I would sign up for the September 12 ACT exam. Then, buy the “Real ACT” prep book for $20. Set up a study plan that will allow you to cover all the review material and take all (six) of the practice tests by one or two weeks before the exam. In the one or two weeks before the exam, review all the questions you missed and go over the related review material. Texas A&M requires the ACT writing exam, so don’t forget to register for the full ACT plus writing.

If you are happy with your ACT score, you are done. If not, then register for the early October ACT and SAT exams, or at least the one that you need the least improvement on. You won’t need to take ACT writing again.

If you do well on the ACT, you don’t need to even submit your SAT scores.

Someone else than me would be better able to answer the questions in your second paragraph.

Yes, retake it and the ACT BUT do get help studying for it - either online (it’s free) ,buy a study guide or hire a tutor of some sort. You can apply with your current SAT, then update your file with new results from October testing ( you can continue to submit until the deadline Dec 1 any new scores). That will be an advantage as only the SAT /ACT score will need to be processed and everything else will have already been done so another new October applicant will be behind you in the acceptance order as they have everything to process. They only take the “with writing” scores though - sign up for those (although writing doesn’t count- go figure?!!). Here’s the criteria:

Applicants qualify for automatic academic admission (but not necessarily to the major of choice), if they:

successfully complete Texas A&M’s required coursework, and
rank in the top quarter of their graduating class on or before the application deadline, and
achieve SAT or ACT test score minimums (including Writing scores), and
combined SAT score of at least 1300 (Math and Critical Reading) with at least a 600 in each of these components, or
composite ACT score of at least 30 with at least a 27 in the Math and English components,

Why re-take it? over 85% of recent acceptances are academic or top 10% applicants now - it is much harder to be in the top 15% of all review applicants and you get processed later so your major may be gone by then. In the big picture, another $50 will be worth it, plus you use your scores to compete for scholarships, always a good thing. If you are in top 25%, it is a no brainer - retake it & even if you don’t score higher, you’ll know you tried your very best and won’t have regrets while you wait for a decision. Send in your best original score with your application so it can begin processing vs. being incomplete - it doesn’t matter, they only use the best one day score, no penalties for submitting lower scores & updating them later. Good luck!

Thank you so much @AGmomx2 and @Beaudreau !! Your answers helped a lot.

@AGmomx2 The first ACT is on 9/12, three weeks before the first SAT exam. We also really liked the “Real ACT” prep book. It is published by ACT, has good review material, and contains actual exams.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-ACT-3rd-Prep-Guide/dp/0768934400/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436401873&sr=8-2&keywords=the+real+act+prep+guide+2015

Good luck @Texas0023 !