Accepted! - now school's pointless

<p>I just got accepted to the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech, early decision.
How much can I slack at school now without having my spot removed for college?
Give me any information you can
Thanks</p>

<hr>

<p>Stats</p>

<p>740 Math SAT
550 Verbal SAT</p>

<p>3.727 GPA (9-11 grade) weighted
Only advanced class was IB Math</p>

<p>lots of work experience, clubs, varsity sports, AAU basketball
personal essays really reflected me, unique
Race: (guess)</p>

<p>Highly recommend you keep working hard, HIGHLY recommend.</p>

<p>This would be unwise (read this would be really stupid!). You have been accepted, ‘conditionally’ that you will continue with your academic performance in a similar manner (esp. with ED). If you drop a letter grade you are probably not going to see a your admit revoked. If you drop a letter grade from a B to a C and then bomb an exam or late assignment and end up with a D, you may have a problem on your hands. Don’t gamble with something you can’t afford to loose. Really. If you were a squeaky admit…just made the cut (I don’t know, but neither do you), I would not give a single reason for VT to question their original decision.</p>

<p>Frankly, there are students on this very forum that also worked their tails off for years have excellent stats and were deferred. They are trying to figure out their next step. It is insulting to everyone (VT, other admits, those deferred/denied, and students/alumni that come here to post) to post here on December 14 and ask if you can start slacking because of your early admit.</p>

<p>I’ll restate my answer. You can slack to the extent you are willing to hand over your admit to anyone of these well deserving students here waiting for a spot. Until you are willing to hand your admit to someone else, your record (to include ECs) should continue to reflect what you portrayed in your application.</p>

<p>Also consider that your freshman engineering year will be really tough, so you might not want to get out of “practice” at working hard.</p>

<p>blueiguana: Okay I’ll admit that “slack” is a strong word. I meant how much can I decrease my stress on school to focus on my job and training. I definitly worked hard in the past (i know my GPA doesn’t show it, Virginia Tech doesnt really focus on GPA) and I got rewarded. I simply wanted to know how far down is dangerously far, I had no clue and I needed an estimate. But please don’t lecture me, although calling school pointless and using the word “slacking” may be offensive and for this I apologize.</p>

<p>Thanks vossron and albert92, that’s what I needed to hear.</p>

<p>Flebor, You are not correct that Virginia Tech does not focus on GPA. Son in '09 was deferred , waitlisted, and eventually admitted from the waitlist with higher SAT’s than yours (with no prep)-1360 (710 M and 650 CR), above their average SAT. GPA was barely over 3.5 with multiple AP courses and great EC’s. The GPA was the weak point but he increased it after he was deferred and has gone on to do very well at VT so far. Do not think you can slack off at this point. Virginia Tech is getting more selective all the time. I can understand though that you are ready for a break. Older son , who went ED in 2005 (when they still had ED) to UVa felt relieved at his acceptance and did relax a bit after that. I think that is normal, just don’t take it to extremes.</p>

<p>Ok I will not take it to extremes. Just wanted to know what the extremes are. And GPA really does not play a major role in acceptance to VT. I talked to the very person who admits and denies admission and he said because of all the different GPA scales, they don’t take it as seriously as tough courses, SATs, ECs and work experience.</p>

<p>I’m sorry if you found my response harsh. With no context your post is arrogant. For a student from FCPS (read Fairfax County Public School, the heart of NoVa and an IB school), the only notable thing your post reveals is your math SAT. The rest is at the 25th percentile. What VT historically does not care about is ECs, LORs, & essays.</p>

<p>The following are stats for admitted engineering students in 2010:
College of Engineering SAT Scores and High School GPA of Fall 2010 First-time Freshmen
SAT Scores/GPA Mean 75th 50th 25th Pctl<br>
SAT Reading 606 660 610 560
SAT Math 674 710 670 630
SAT Writing 593 640 590 550
HS GPA 3.96 4.18 3.97 3.74 </p>

<p>VT obviously saw a student, not statistics, that was capable of being a valuable, successful member of their university. I will repeat the original advise, which I would give ANY student:</p>

<p>You can slack (ease up, relax, whatever verb you want) to the extent you are willing to hand your admit to another student.</p>

<p>Search these forums and read the posts from students who have been revoked. These are panic stricken kids who regret their sr. slump after years of hard work. You can think I’m harsh, but I’d rather you not be one of these students.</p>

<p>NOTE: We crossed posts. VT’s common data set states GPA, scores, and class rigor as ‘highly important’. Essays are ‘not considered’. EC’s, LOR’s, etc. all fall into the ‘important’ category. I think it’s pretty clear.
<a href=“http://www.ir.vt.edu/common_ds_2009.html[/url]”>http://www.ir.vt.edu/common_ds_2009.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Congratulations on your admit and best of luck.</p>

<p>Flebor-VT admissions seems to be very GPA/SAT oriented. If anything , they seem to favor a high GPA/lower SAT kid over a higher SAT/lower GPA kid. Son had multiple Ap’s, 5 on AP physics, Eagle Scout, all state in sport, worked minimum wage, great rec’s,etc. Didn’t matter. The GPA did him in initially according to the admissions rep. Makes sense. So many kids in Virginia work very hard to do their best to get into Virginia’s best colleges and should be rewarded for that. Luckily, the lightbulb finally went on after he was deferred by VT that he had to do better with his grades and he did very well his senior year in high school. Probably a good thing that he was deferred. He made dean’s list both semesters as a freshman at VT. In high school, he did not do as well as he could have.</p>

<p>Flebor - Who exactly did you speak to? There are many people who make the admissions decisions, not just one person.</p>

<p>I have done work with admissions before. GPA is taken into consideration just as much as tough courses. I know people who have done one of the harder IB programs in VA and had a a 3.4-ish and got rejected. Likewise, I know people who had a 3.8 but not too many AP courses and got rejected as well. Tough courses don’t mean a thing if you don’t do well in them.</p>

<p>Also, someone very close to me almost got his admission rescinded last year because she got 2 Cs as his final grades. He didn’t slack off at all, but they were extremely difficult classes for him.</p>

<p>Coast away, my friend. You worked hard for at least 4 years (probably more to get set up for HS) so enjoy the 10 minutes (it’ll seem like it) you have left of your senior year. Stay out later, hang out with people you didn’t get to see much, and enjoy life. </p>

<p>Keep the fact that you’re going to have to step everything up to another level when you get to college. If you can honestly keep that gear shift in mind, just focus on AP tests and keep your grades respectable. Don’t be disrespectful to your current teachers, but don’t kill yourself with work.</p>

<p>My guidance counselor was telling me how some girl got in ED a couple years ago and had all As and a C in AP Calc BC and was sent a letter telling her to improve her grades or they would take away her ED agreement.</p>