Accepted Spring 2014 Transfers

<p>Oh okay, thanks for letting me know! Based on your knowledge of the system, would you say I am kind of competitive? Or is applying late affecting my chances…</p>

<p>i’m not sure how second choice majors work, but a 3.7 for SOCI I would say is a sure shot… most liberal art majors can get in with the requirements and a 3.0+</p>

<p>I just hope they don’t fill up by the time they review me, but thanks for the encouragement and your help! Really appreciate it. I will just be praying twice a day now, lol</p>

<p>Just keep checking AIS and maybe soci will switch to your first choice, sometimes they move around. Also, are you taking the business math / finite math right now?</p>

<p>No i am currently in statistics.
And yeah i check AIS all the time</p>

<p>I found this forum so useful while waiting to hear on my daughter’s acceptance to A&M that I thought I should give back by posting her route to getting into A&M. </p>

<p>She graduated HS with 30 college credits with a 3.8 GPA. She had around a 3.5 GPA in HS and was in the National Honor Society and had a lot of leadership and involvement but that wasn’t enough when you graduate with a student class size of 44 and take a log of college credits. Because she took so many dual credits that didn’t impact her HS GPA she was in the top 50% of her class. As a freshman applicant to A&M she was offered the Program for System Admission (PSA) but she did not want to go to full year to another school. Her goal was to be an Aggie like her dad ASAP. Keep in mind this is all before her 18th birthday.</p>

<p>So, she graduated HS on a Friday and started at Blinn on a Monday. She took two biology classes over the summer and earned a B in both classes or a 3.0 GPA. This was really hard on her because there is the getting acclimated to college aspect too.</p>

<p>She spoke to admissions counselors at both schools to make sure she was on track and taking the classes they wanted her to take in order to transfer. This is very important as every school as a different transfer degree track. </p>

<p>She applied for the Spring 2014 semester on 8/9, as soon as she finished her second biology class. She received her UIN on 8/14 and then the wait started. She was on Step 3 until finally on October 1 she was admitted with her overall 3.6 GPR. It’s true what I’ve read about Howdy being updated first. Her four tabs showed up on Howdy before the applicant portal was updated with her next steps and acceptance letter. It was a few hours difference.</p>

<p>If you look at the individual degree tracks at [Program</a> for System Admission PSA - Office of Admissions | Texas A&M University](<a href=“http://admissions.tamu.edu/PSA]Program”>http://admissions.tamu.edu/PSA) it will clue you in to what they are looking for you to complete for each degree. This is very important that you complete as many classes from the “specific course requirements” from the bold/italicized list. Even if you aren’t offered the PSA this is a good way to look up course requirements that they are looking for. </p>

<p>But, this should not replace contacting the adviser at the specific college/dept that you are applying to. The advisor told my daughter that it was important that she indicate on her essay that she had met with an adviser at that school and to include what her academic goals where. They only look at college grades and courses with GPA completed as a transfer student. Extra curricular activities, HS grades, SAT/ACTs, letters of recommendation, etc. do not get reviewed as a transfer applicant.</p>

<p>Looking back, it took a full year to get her in to A&M. From the freshman application she started this time last year to being accepted this month. If we had to do it all over again, I don’t think I would have encouraged her to take so many dual credits that weren’t impacting her HS GPA. This, in my opinion, is a flaw in the system. Texas wants to cut down on the number of years it takes to graduate from college but it is working against students from small schools that want to go to top tier schools. </p>

<p>It would have been fine if she wanted to go elsewhere. My son graduated with 30 college hours too and finished his business degree in three years but it wasn’t at the #4 ranked college in the nation.</p>

<p>My daughter will have 51 hours starting at A&M and will most likely get her bachelors a year early but she jump started her degree because she is planning on an advanced degree to become a scientist in aquatics.</p>

<p>I wish you all the best of luck and hope that this insight helps.</p>

<p>Congrats to your daughter hershope!!
You mentioned talking to the academic advisor is significant, What questions would your daughter ask? I am finding the answers to my questions on their website but I do want them to know I am interested!</p>

<p>She communicated through email with an adviser in the admissions department who provided excellent feedback. He was quick to respond to emails and really was better about answering questions than the regional (outside College Station) adviser. She was told that A&M doesn’t put much credence on dual credits but that’s not true. As a transfer applicant, every course you’ve taken and every grade you’ve earned matter—a lot!</p>

<p>She also found her department adviser contact information on the website for her school. Contact them by email, they are good about sending you documents that you don’t find on the website that outlines pretty clearly the transfer requirements and what they want finished before you apply and what to do to make sure you are a competitive applicant to that school. She also met with the A&M adviser in person to go over her proposed schedule for the semester before she transferred and A&M made some adjustments from what she was told by the Blinn adviser. She would have taken courses that they didn’t want her to take until she was at A&M. I don’t think it hurts to meet them in person, if you can, so they put a face with a name because transfer admissions are decided by the individual departments and not by the admissions department like freshmen. It’s likely the adviser is on the committee making the decision if they will let you in. But, this is just a guess. She named the adviser in her essay. </p>

<p>She had questions like which MATH sections to take and which classes to take at the same time. She is also doing a study abroad this coming summer and wanted to make sure she was taking the right steps for making sure she can sign up in the Spring. She’s already contacted them directly about the study abroad and they want to meet with her before she starts at A&M in January.</p>

<p>Once you get admitted, sign up for the Transfer Student Program. You can meet with a transfer student mentor that will help orient you to A&M. The mentor was a transfer student so they know what it’s like to not get accepted as a freshmen. They have a neat program where you do activities on campus that wins you gift cards. It’s a good idea to go to meet the mentor with questions about A&M too. They sent my daughter a link where she can answer questions to help match her with the more than 800 student organizations.</p>

<p>I got my acceptance letter! Congrats to us all!</p>

<p>How do we apply for housing for the spring?? I found the link to apply but it says you should only apply if you plan living the entire spring-fall semester.
Is that the only option?
Also, to my understanding we are signing up for classes at the nsc?</p>