Accepted to Spring term, what to do?

<p>If someone is accepted to the U for the Spring Term can they start getting some college credits at another institution (Community College or State University) and have those credits transferred? If yes, is there a maximum amount of credits allowed per semester?</p>

<p>My friend was accepted Spring term and his letter from UM said he could pick up some credits during the fall if he wanted to. I don’t know if there was a maximum amount he could do, but I’d presume it would be standard amount. Probably 3-5 classes, and maybe 10-15 credits.</p>

<p>Did it say it was at UM? In my niece’s it said something about a program in Washington that she could attend and then transfer.</p>

<p>No it wasn’t at UM but it wasn’t restricted to a specific program. My friend was able to take courses at any college basically for Fall semester then transfer them to UM in the Spring.</p>

<p>I have heard of the DC Fall program UM offers, I believe it is through American University. I’m not sure what it entails specifically though.</p>

<p>Thanks, will ask her to give them a call and check.</p>

<p>@ddahwan I am trying to find out if her UM portal said Fall waitlisted and then actual letter granted spring admission?</p>

<p>I thought it was an email but I am not sure because not many people in CC received a Spring acceptance by email, I will have to ask her.</p>

<p>What I know is that they called admissions and scheduled a meeting. I think is a good idea for anyone that is interested to at least call and say that they are still interested.</p>

<p>i actually went there and no one from admissions could meet with me. I was just hoping for at least a spring admissions after I have now been wait listed</p>

<p>They told her they will meet with her in a couple of weeks, after the rush of the people contacting the school dies down. I would recommend that you call back in a week or so. People will be less busy then.</p>

<p>im starting to feel defeated…if my letter does not include a spring admissions offer than its over for me and Miami</p>

<p>I am not too familiar with this whole process but I can say that I know that a lot of kids thar got in UM ( safety for most) but will not go. On top of that many people drop first semester because contrary to popular belief Miami is not a party school and you have to apply yourself to get ahead. So show interest and be patient. They did not reject you.</p>

<p>Thank you! That meant a lot to me</p>

<p>That’s true. Also a lot of people locally in Miami have their kids apply with the idea that they’ll only go if they get a big scholarship (UM used to give 1/2 scholarships fairly easily before they came up in the rankings so much). Then, their child gets no scholarship or a tiny scholarship and decides to go to FSU or UF instead because those schools are free with their Florida prepaid and Bright Futures, whereas UM is going to cost $30,000 per year more even if their kids live at home (which their kids often don’t really want to do). Or their child DOES get a big scholarship to some other private school like Stetson or Rollins, which aren’t as competitive, so they go there.</p>

<p>Yes, but im not a Florida resident which im sure trumps anyone on waitlist that is out of state. At this point I would be happy with the spring admission, I like DC and it appears all the UM students are clustered together at American. The letter should come today or tomorrow id assume. If I am not offered spring im fairly certain its the end of this journey. Im also pretty sure that a spring admission student would also trump a student that was simply wait listed</p>

<p>I don’t think OOS vs In state really makes a difference for UM, a private institution. I also don’t think if you aren’t immediately offered Spring admission that it means your chances are completely shot. I’m not even entirely sure they send out any spring admission offers this early. UM has a very low yield and they have no way of predicting how many kids will accept their admission offers. They very well could pull students off the waitlist, for both Spring and Fall, in the coming months. We’ll just have to be patient and hope for the best.</p>

<p>I wish that accepting your spot on the wait-list meant having to write a few paragraph explanation of why you want to go to UM or something. I think it would weed out a lot of people who are just randomly deciding to accept a wait-list spot, even though they don’t really intend on going. That way the wait-list would be smaller and would be just students who would almost definitely attend if they were admitted off the wait-list. By the looks of it, it seems like they were pretty liberal in wait-listing students this year.</p>

<p>I agree they don’t care if you’re instate or out of state. I’m just saying that the people who ARE in town are more likely to apply as sort of a throwaway, then decide against it due to money. I know at least 3 people whose kids were accepted there with low or no scholarship. One is definitely not going, and the other two probably aren’t. People on the waitlist obviously know they aren’t getting a scholarship, so they make that decision accordingly.</p>

<p>That said, they presumably know what their usual yield is and have accepted enough people to cover it unless an unusual number of people decline. Keep calm, but have a good fallback option.</p>

<p>If people randomly accept the waitlist with no intention of going, they will eventually not go, and the spot will still be open for someone else. I’m sure many people will find they are happy with their second-choice school – or get accepted someplace else they’ve been waiting for. It probably also matters what their major is, and gender. If a female English major turns them down, they are probably not going to take a male engineering major. That’s why I’m guessing they won’t tell you your spot on the waitlist.</p>

<p>I agree that they anticipate their low yield and dole out enough acceptions accordingly. But I also think with the number of applicants and spots available they have, it would be hard to accurately predict the exact number of acceptances they would need to grant. It is completely realistic for them to find themselves with 50 empty seats for the freshmen class. In that situation they may opt to pull from the wait-list, or they may just decide to go forward with a slightly smaller class. </p>

<p>What gets me is it means nothing for them to pull a few dozen students off the wait-list who clearly want to attend the UM. They could do it and it would have virtually no affect on their class averages or selectivity or anything. In return it would mean a great deal to those fortunate students they admit. Still, I guess they have to draw the line somewhere and we are essentially straddling that line.</p>

<p>Also, </p>

<p>I definitely agree it is important to have a good backup college in place. Not just to have as a backup, but one you genuinely are happy with.</p>

<p>Some good advice that someone told me the other day is that it’s important to accept that your going to backup school. That way, if you don’t get off the wait-list to your first choice its not a big deal because you’ve already mentally accepted that your attending the backup school. If you do get off the wait-list it comes as a wonderful surprise because you weren’t expecting it.</p>

<p>I’ve fairly well accepted my fallback but I have done everything humanly possible to articulate my desire to be accepted into the freshman class at the U. There is nothing more i can Do i know that. I had several amazing recs, met with department heads, and had alumni speak on my behalf and still I wait. I am in the mindset it’s over because I have heard they don’t guarantee transfers housing and that hassle would just ruin my experience.</p>