Admitted Texas A&M University, Class of 2028

@jimdlt1 woah! Slow down…Fish Camp and Impact registration isn’t until April or May.

I definitely wouldn’t put down off campus deposit now…there will always be off campus spots. There is ZERO possibility of getting out of an off campus lease. NONE. You won’t just be ‘paying a deposit’, you’ll be signing a 12 month lease.

Getting a Single in Hullabaloo is tough, especially if student didn’t pay the day Housing portal opened. But definitely could get a room in Hulla, especially if he finds a roomie with a higher selection time. Tons of Engineering living in EVERY dorm, if that’s your concern?

Nothing beats living ON campus. Especially for OOS students, living ON campus is where they’ll make friends, dive fully into being an Aggie. There are singles in other dorms, but don’t count on a Hulla single. I would definitely have him go thru dorm selection in April, then decide.
IMO-living off campus, especially in a single, is not ideal. Son will be missing out.

1 Like

We are planners. That’s why the ask on Fish Camp and I totally forgot about Impact Weekend.
Yes, we definitely want our son ON Campus but NOT sharing a Bedroom. Sharing a bath is fine. But a definite “locked door”, “closed alone space” with Bed and Desk.

If anybody can chime in on Fish Camp and Impact, and whether we should leave those days open on our VERY BUSY summer 2024 schedule, it would be appreciated. We are OOS Florida, not as easy as driving a few hours from across the state.

Have you considered White creek apartments? Its on campus, well, far west campus, but a few minutes bike ride to Zachry. Private bedroom and bath with shared kitchen/living space. 4bed/4bath, 4bed/2bath, 2bed/2bath, I believe. With them being apartments, they are accessible during Christmas break, whereas dorms are closed between semesters, I believe.

3 Likes

I read somewhere that White Creek was Upper Class only. This is a great option as well. THANKS.

1 Like

@jimdlt1 Fish Camp and Impact won’t be until mid-late July and into August. Most students go to one or the other. I doubt dates are even posted yet for either. The Catholic Church-St. Mary’s-has a great retreat also.

There are single rooms in other dorms. Search thru ResLife website. Not a ton, but there are some. Again, it all boils down to what’s available when it’s your son’s dorm selection time (what is listed/ranked during Phase 2 is meaningless, bears no weight). Getting a true single in Hullabaloo is out. They’ll be gone almost immediately first day dorm selection opens. But, there are some 2 person suites (I guess that’s what you’re describing as 2/1?). Definitely a chance one of those rooms might be open. And once he’s selected/secured a room, he can go back in daily and check to see if anything else has opened up and can switch.
There are no ‘upper class dorms’- bulk of students living on campus are freshman, and they’ll have classes ALL over campus the first year.

You will be selling your soul if you sign a lease now off campus. Death or military deployment is the ONLY way to get out of an off campus lease…not kidding.

I wouldn’t recommend the first NSC session. Definitely wait until student has fully graduated, had Prom, Project Grad, etc. They need to be done with high school. The first NSC is guaranteed to have glitches, always super crowded. Wouldn’t recommend the August session either, except many OOS do it for sheer travel reasons.
Seat selections open up at EVERY session, so those that tell you otherwise are wrong. NSC are major specific, so make sure Engineering is offered before signing up.

Paying Housing deposit is the biggest hurdle, after that, it’s smooth sailing…until dorm selection in April.

Hand over all log in info, put your son in the drivers seat and relax! The rest needs to be student driven, from this point forward. (TAMU will say over & over & over… if IT suspects Howdy is being opened/checked by more than 1 user, they’ll lock it down. Down the road, after NSC, your son can grant you access to a very limited Parent Howdy).

Make sure son is on Instagram. There will be many pages he can join/follow, to ‘meet’ people, find out what needs to be done/signed up for.

Welcome to Aggieland! :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Thanks so much.
Definitely won’t do anything off campus.
We are seeing a lot of housing options with Single Rooms, so I think we will be OK. Me personally I like White Creek just for the convenience of the Washer Dryer, and bus stop, and I like the 4/4 so he can meet a lot of new friends. I need on-campus as well from a funding aspect because our Florida Pre-Paid OOS release amount to A&M is about $30K. I think I misspoke (Aggie ignorance) as to Impact weekend. I know there is some sort of Freshman Weekend the first or second week of June, I think?

Thanks for St. Mary’s info as well. That will be his church.

2 Likes

Nothing for incoming freshman except NSC (which is for parents also). Impact, Fish Camp, St. Mary’s retreat, etc will all be at the end of summer/just before school starts.

White Creek is usually the last to fill-price and location-so he’ll definitely be able to get a room there. They’re apartments, but considered ON campus (even tho they’re on West Campus vs Main Campus). No cafeteria on West Campus, but other eating options and White Creek has kitchens in unit. ResLife website is outstanding, spend time searching it.

No rush, but join these 2 pages at some point. They’ll be super helpful (if not overwhelming at times :joy_cat:). No rush to join! You’ll need to answer all questions, and student must be verified in Aggie Directory-which is taking weeks currently.
And join/follow @Aggiebound, @AggieOneStop, @AggieCatholic (BRAND new building was just dedicated…it is fantastic!).

1 Like

For those with an admitted to Mays student, once student appears in Aggie Directory (name/classification/major), be sure to join this Mays parent page.
*answer ALL questions or you’ll be declined

1 Like

You might be thinking about the gardens, which I believe is 21 and older mostly. It is TAMU housing but physically located north of campus

1 Like

Yes, Gardens is primarily grad students, married, and 21+ (unless they have occupancy for others).
I read a thread the other day where Gardens rates keep going up, and it isn’t cheap…at all.

1 Like

Can I join those now, student is in directory, but only name (no major)?

No, you need to wait until Aggie Directory shows student Name/Classification/Major
That’s how the admins verify student has indeed been admitted. And personally I wouldn’t join a page that doesn’t ask membership questions and verifies student in Directory. LOTS of scammers lurking on the pages that don’t…
There is No Rush! You aren’t missing out on anything.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Which Social Media portal are these 2 parent groups?
Thanks
Jim

…And now for the really important “stuff”. :grinning: We are all set for our FIRST A&M Football game Vs. Notre Dame on Labor Day Weekend Sat Aug 31. Got our Hotel Thurs Aug 29-Mon Sept 2nd :+1: :rugby_football:

2 Likes

@jimdlt1 the parent pages are closed FB pages.
AggieOneStop is on both FB and Instagram.
Hands down, Instagram pages post way more than FB.

Look at you, booking a hotel room this far in advance! That’s the way it has to be done in Aggieland - football weekends, Ring Day, graduation - all book a year in advance. The Notre Dame game should be a great one, and tix could be difficult to get. They’re not on sale yet, but they will be on sale thru 12th Man.

1 Like

My wife is a Penn State grad we all know about Football weekends :grinning:
I’m following @aggiecatholic and @aggiebound but @aggieonestop is not on IG

1 Like

I’m already loving Aggie Football, First Responders and Military Vets GO FREE, that’s ME :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Nothing like an Aggie game at Kyle Field!

Follow these FB pages. There are MANY social media pages, but these are basic, good to start.

1 Like