Advising times?

<p>I thought I read on CC that it was time to set up advising times for Spring 2014. Did we miss an email about it? Son is Bio major.</p>

<p>My D was already advised but she is in eng’g.</p>

<p>Registration is not for a few weeks though.</p>

<p>Registration for classes isn’t until the end of Oct, but freshman students are required to meet with an advisor before they can register.</p>

<p>Many students are scheduling advising sessions now to ensure that they can register as soon as registration is open.</p>

<p>My D is also a bio major and has already met with an advisor to officially declare her major and get her schedule approved.</p>

<p>I think she’s a bit ahead of the curve here, but she was frustrated at Bama bound that many sections of classes were already full (and we were at the second Bama bound session in May!). She wants to make sure she can register as soon registration opens for spring semester.</p>

<p>DS is as Engr major and is doing a Group Session today.</p>

<p>He was unable to get a one-on-one time slot before his registration opens on 10/24 – They were all filled.</p>

<p>I suggest you urge your son to call the Bio Department or e-mail Paul LeBlanc who is listed as the Undergrad Program Coordinator, <a href=“mailto:pleblanc@biology.as.ua.edu”>pleblanc@biology.as.ua.edu</a>.</p>

<p>Here is a checklist for Bio majors from the webiste. It looks like it has not been updated: <a href=“http://bsc.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/advising-checklist-biology.pdf[/url]”>http://bsc.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/advising-checklist-biology.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I believe Engr majors could also do some kind of e-mail advising to advisors.</p>

<p>Class2017Mom, registration goes by the number of hours earned. Here’s the chart</p>

<p>[Spring</a> 2014 ? Registration and Advising | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/services/mystudent/registration-and-advising/spring-2014-registration-and-advising/]Spring”>http://registrar.ua.edu/services/mystudent/registration-and-advising/spring-2014-registration-and-advising/)</p>

<p>Do the credit hours UA gives for things such as AP count as “earned” or are the first semester kids with AP credits still in the “zero” category???</p>

<p>^^^ does hours earned include the hours that they are currently taking this semester?</p>

<p>It goes by overall hours earned. AP credits do count. Does not include courses currently in progress. Look at DegreeWorks, far right column. Once the registration hold is lifted, you can also see the registration time by clicking on the registration link.</p>

<p>I assume Honors College equals Priority…</p>

<p>Yes it does.</p>

<p>I would love some advice for my DD, she is in the Honors Program and the Business School. She received her email telling her to book her advising appointment this week and she called immediately. She was told she could not get an advising time until Nov. 1st. She has enough credits to graduate in 3 years but only if the classes lay out in the right order. Any advice to get the hold on the registration lifted in time for the registration date?</p>

<p>^^^Once again, I see an opportunity for the Honors College to STEP UP and proactively anticipate the needs of these high-stat students they recruit so ardently…as was the case with Honors BAMA Bound - these kids are NOT likely to follow the well-trodden path.</p>

<p>KatVicMom, if she knows the courses she wants to take (is following a flow chart), then she can be e-advised. She would mail her advisor a list of the courses she wants to take and her CWID. Not sure if this is applicable for all colleges but it does work in the college of engineering and I know beth’s mom D has done this and she is business. Also, there may be open advising sessions that she can sign up for. Son just received an email today (again, engineering college).</p>

<p>Thank you. DD did not know anything about e-advising or open advising sessions. She is checking into those options today! I agree that the Honors College should be more engaged with the Honors students. I was under the impression that she would have more access to assistance than she is receiving. A little disappointed that Honors College does not seem to have much interest in her now that she is a registered student, but perhaps a good opportunity for DD to learn to be more proactive about how to secure what she needs from the University.</p>

<p>I recall reading in one of the honor’s college newsletters that honor’s students had the option to schedule an appointment with an advisor in the honor’s college instead of/in addition to the advisor in their major. But that was a few weeks ago, so I don’t know if it is still an option. My son generally opts to do the e-advising so I didn’t look into the details.</p>

<p>Here is info on some group sessions:</p>

<p>The Culverhouse College of Commerce and the Honors College will be hosting group signature sessions in 176 Nott Hall from 11:00am - 2:00pm on Monday September 9th, Thursday September 12th, Tuesday October 8th, and Wednesday October 16th. Culverhouse Honors students will be able to come and go and have their Spring 2014 schedules signed off by advisors. Students with senior standing are strongly encouraged to schedule individual appointment times with advisors rather than attend one of these group signature sessions.</p>

<p>The College of Arts and Sciences and the Honors College will be hosting group signature sessions in 176 Nott Hall from 11:00am - 2:00pm on Tuesday September 10th, Wednesday September 11th, Thursday October 10th, and Friday October 11th. Freshmen and undecided Arts and Sciences students will be able to come and go and have their Spring 2014 schedules signed off by advisors. Upperclassmen with a declared major must schedule individual appointment times with their faculty advisors rather than attend one of these group signature sessions.</p>

<p>There was also a session of honor’s engineering students which my son received an email about, but there do not appear to be any future sessions for engineering students:</p>

<p>Honors College Engineering Students,</p>

<p>Spring 2014 class registration starts on Monday, October 21st. In order to use your priority registration status, you must have your schedule cleared by an academic advisor. The Honors College is partnering with the College of Engineering to provide open advising sessions for our Honors engineering students. We encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity to map out your schedule for future semesters and make sure you are on track with your Honors Requirements. You must register to attend, so please review the details and instructions below to register for the open advising session.</p>

<p>Details
Thursday, September 12th
1:30 PM – 4:00 PM
Hardaway Hall 112</p>

<p>YOu guys are always so helpful.</p>

<p>Thank You so much!!</p>

<p>Honors students in Nursing received an email today with the info. to set up an honors advising appointment along with guidelines on class choices for Spring semester.</p>