Registration for Spring Semester

<p>Some questions on registration for Spring for our freshmen:</p>

<p>Do the student’s AP/DC credit hours count as “earned hours” for registration?</p>

<p>Did I read somewhere that the students have to meet with an advisor and have a block removed before they can register?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I’m concerned about this, too. Do the students make an appointment with someone in their major themselves, or is this done during classtime to the whole class in a freshman engineering class? </p>

<p>I thought I saw a chart with dates and credits earned somewhere, but I can’t locate it now. </p>

<p>Should son be picking an advisor and make an appointment with one before his registration time, or will his ability to register automatically be unlocked when it’s his time to register?</p>

<p>Students need to have their “holds” lifted before they register. HOW that gets done can depend by major. Each student should have gotten an email about advising. Some advising is done one on one, and some is done as a group (because their courses are sequenced and individual advising isn’t really necessary).</p>

<p>My math son has one on one advising, while my Chemical Engineering son has had group advising. </p>

<p>So, have your kids check their emails for whatever they’re supposed to do.</p>

<p>Then, after you’ve had your advising, check to make SURE that your hold got lifted so that ALL you have to do at that point is wait for your registration time.</p>

<p>When I was in FEP back in the Iron Age, the rule of thumb was you were advised by FEP (not in class, but you scheduled a time with an FEP advisor in class) if you hadn’t completed MATH 125. Otherwise, you were advised by your department. Some majors (like my major, CHE) preferred that you were advised by the department beginning your first semester. </p>

<p>Montegut, I would think your son has been told something in class by the FEP, but honestly I’ve never had a great deal of faith in the FEP, even with the new guy Dr. Cordes in charge. I would tell him to speak with the administrative assistant in the ME department who is in charge of undergraduates if he has not already been informed of what he needs to do by the FEP.</p>

<p>Bamafana, the answer to your second question is “yes”. You need to have a block removed by an adviser in order to register on myBama.</p>

<p>Again, have your kids check their emails.</p>

<p>AP/Dual/etc credits do count for registration purposes. However, credits that in progress do not.</p>

<p>If advising is done in class, which may be the case for my son, do the administrators automatically lift the lock after the class session, or does my son have to do something himself to get the lock lifted?</p>

<p>I could be wrong, but I don’t think advising is done in class (unless that’s part of the new frosh eng’g program). I think there are group sessions that you pick to go to. </p>

<p>Did your son get any email or notification about advising?</p>

<p>The advisor then lifts the lock…BUT…you have to check to make sure it got lifted. Younger son’s didn’t get lifted once, and it almost was a problem. I think if you attend an advising session, you have to make sure your name/CWID is given (I think son didn’t do that. I think he arrived and sat down and didn’t think to make sure that they knew he had gotten “advised”).</p>

<p>From what I’m gathering from my S (EE) he’s attending an advising session this week (he got dates from department) where he’ll get his worksheet signed off and I gather holds lifted. He indicated that if he has further questions (more particular) he’ll pursue that afterwards. Otherwise he’ll be ready when his date comes up.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>That’s what my eng’g son had last year. Still have your son check afterwards to make sure the hold got lifted.</p>

<p>My D is a bio major. She had to schedule an office visit with her assigned adviser who requires his advisees to fill out a form - basically their four year plan- BEFORE he will meet with them. He says he can’t properly advise a student without knowing their goals, so i think it is a good idea.
Also, Dr Sharpe encouraged D to bring her tentative schedule by the honors college offices for further tweaking if necessary. I don’t think a student could get more personalized assistance anywhere. I love Bama!</p>

<p>D has already had two advising sessions: one was 2 weeks ago with the general A&S advising person and an additional one with the History dept. advisor last week. I’m pretty sure she got emails from both of them to set up the meetings. She said things went pretty quickly as she went in there with a fully formed schedule.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reminder to check and make sure that the block is lifted. Where does she check that again?</p>

<p>if you go to MyBama and just go to “add drop classes” for spring 11, it will tell you if you have a hold on your record.</p>

<p>Bamafana: Since those AP/IB/dual enrollment credits do count as earned hours, make sure your son double checks when he can register (even though he is in honors and has priority registration). He may be able to sign up for classes earlier than he first thought. Sometimes, priority is no help. My son and several friends wanted to take a particular UH class this fall. He could have gotten in, because of his registration time. His friends could not – it filled that quickly.</p>

<p>My son came into UA as a Business major, and decided this semester to double major in 1) Marketing and 2) Telecommunication and Film. He is required to meet with advisors in both of his colleges (Culverhouse College of Commerce and the College of Communication and Information Sciences) before holds are lifted on his future class registration dates. </p>

<p>He’s done this, his Spring Semester registration date is posted, and there are no holds currently on his record (thanks for the tip on checking this out on myBama, m2ck).</p>

<p>My son is meeting with an A&S advisor today because his declared major is Political Science. He has met also with a Business advisor about adding Finance as a second major. The business advisor told him to have the A&S advisor add the second major. Hence the visit today. Hope he doesn’t have to go back to the these advisors again…Do you think he could just email since he has talked with him? He is taking a tentative schedule with him today.</p>

<p>^^^I’m no expert on this, bamafana, but I would err on the side of caution and have a face-to-face meeting rather than relying on e-mail. Similar to your son’s situation with A&S, my son was told that his Business advisor would be the primary advisor from an administrative standpoint because he declared his Business major before declaring his second major.</p>

<p>Malanai, I agree. I’ll be sure DS tries to set up something next week. Although, if I’m looking at the schedule correctly, he’s eligible to register next week. He will have priority registration plus lots of AP/DE credit. I hope I am correct on this…Honors does give priority, correct??</p>

<p>^^^Yes, regarding Honors priority. My son is scheduled to register Oct 27. He came into UA with 22 AP/placement credits</p>

<p>Bamafana: There is priority registration in honors. Again, it’s all based on credits earned.</p>

<p>[Registration</a> Time Assignments and Advising - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/registration/]Registration”>http://registrar.ua.edu/registration/)</p>

<p>My son needs to get up earlier Monday, Oct. 26.</p>

<p>^^^Now that’s REALLY early, since Oct 26 is Tuesday, lol.</p>