African American Class of 2015

<p>@Jellybae and @emenya Y’all were at the Colloquium too?!?! What groups were y’all in? I was in Perry-Castañeda.</p>

<p>@Blazer56 Pro is their Freshman Research Initiative. It seems like they have plenty of research opportunities which I like. I too want to leave Texas so it being in Texas is a Con.</p>

<p>@Mathmaticious How mind-blowingly awesome is it that all three of us were at the colloquium?!?!?!?! I was in Andrews, the best cohort by the way. It just sucks that Freshman Research Initiative is not available to engineering majors, only Arts and Sciences. However at the colloquium I took this class called Aptamer Stream and I talked to the professor at the end. She told me I have to ask over and over again if I really wanted to do FRI</p>

<p>@emenya Well I was probably going to double major in computer science and ChemE so it wouldn’t be a problem for me, but it would be a lot better if they had it for engineering majors also.</p>

<p>@Jellybae‌ I’m planning on majoring in graphic design, I live in new York, I start school in two weeks, where is everyone from??</p>

<p>Does anyone know of any good African American scholarships??</p>

<p>Nice I’ll have to check into it! The fact that it’s in Texas isn’t appealing is all, what makes you all want to leave Texas ? Just the typical “wanting to get away” dilema?</p>

<p>@Mathmaticious I want to double major in, wait for it, Biomedical Engineering and Molecular Biology :)</p>

<p>@CourtneyMilan From Texas and the Jackie Robinson Foundation is a good one</p>

<p>@Blazer56 Just trying to leave the chokehold of my parents lol. UT and UofH are my safeties, and if I get into them and no other, especially UofH I would probably be sad. Far away in Stanford, Harvard, or Purdue, just fine for me</p>

<p>@emenya that’s awesome! I was set on biochem & molec bio fresh&soph year before BME! And same here lol, stanford & purdue are also prospects </p>

<p>@CourtneyMilan‌ There’s the Ron Brown Scholarship, Tom Joyner full ride to an hbcu scholarship</p>

<p>I have no idea what the colloquium is you guys I’m sorry! I went to UT for a journalism camp lol</p>

<p>I had no idea about the Ron brown scholarship :open_mouth: I’m going to apply!! Someone should make a post with all the scholarships </p>

<p>Hejfjsoxneks I just looked at the scholars’ profiles. Why should I even try tbh. Now I’m wary of even applying to an Ivy I’m so inferior :|</p>

<p>There are a lot of African American scholarships (they’re honestly not hard to find) but a lot of them require that you go to an HBCU or a college they accredit, and there aren’t really any of those on my list. Anyone else facing that dilemma? </p>

<p>@Jellybae , you’re not inferior :slight_smile: </p>

<p>@Clarg17 I know exactly what you mean. I want money but I don’t want to go to an HBCU… Give me Alabama with their GREAT merit aid any day of the week</p>

<p>True but who wants to go to Alabama? No one grows up saying “Oh I can’t wait to go to Alabama!! :D”</p>

<p>Side note: Are any of y’all applying to fly-ins? I’ve sent apps to Caltech and Swarthmore so far.</p>

<p>I know what you mean, so many of the scholarships are for HBCU, and I’m not applying to any… It makes it harder for me to find them</p>

<p>every high school student should read this article (especially overrepresented minority students): <a href=“The Problem with College Acceptance Shaming | HuffPost College”>HuffPost - Breaking News, U.S. and World News | HuffPost;

<p>Lol @Mathmaticious said no one ever :slight_smile: Also I’m thinking about applying to Harvey Mudd but I’m not really sure yet</p>

<p>@emenya O yea me too! It’s due Friday. Why aren’t you sure? There isn’t much of a downside to applying.</p>

<p>@Mathmaticious I’m trying to make my mom realize that it is 100% free. But she doesn’t believe me lol</p>

<p>“Paid travel from Texas to California? Yeah right.”</p>

<p>Spirits went down after I didn’t get the MIT one…but I’m not discouraged</p>

<p>@emenya O makes sense. It does sound pretty unbelievable at first. Because it’s MIT, it probably has a low acceptance rate. Other fly-ins have better rates. I’m sure you could get into them no problem.</p>

<p>And good luck convincing your mom!</p>