African American Class of 2015

<p>Welcome @squirrel327‌ ! Glad the thread makes you happy lol. Trust me snowed in roads will beat oppressive heat anyday :wink: I’m not sure about Outstanding Participant. I got it too (Not Achievement Scholar as I originally thought) and I think it’s kind of synonymous as National Merit Commended. I think @planner03‌ would probably be of more help in that department.</p>

<p>@drblack‌ I’m sorry to hear that your mom is a carrier. So she doesn’t have anemia or she does? And yeah genetics are kind of my life lol. I got interested in it much the same way you are realizing it now.</p>

<p>Oh no don’t feel bad! @emenya‌ as a carrier she doesn’t suffer any serious side symptoms of the disease, but she’s a little anemic! She supposed to be a little more resistant towards malaria, which is the cool thing about this genetic mutation. Apparently it’s survived so long in tropical climates like West Africa(where my family is from) because it gives carriers( and I THINK people with the full blown trait) resistance towards malaria. So a little natural selection there if you will. </p>

<p>Hey, everyone! just wanted to post to join this thread! I’m from California and will be applying to Harvard SCEA</p>

<p>Hello @Hind2015‌ What do you still have to do on the application?</p>

<p>I submitted my early action MIT app last weekend! Did anyone take the October SAT I/II? I got a 710 on physics.</p>

<p>Getting around to submitting my Babson & Bentley EA apps. I’m just nervous if my recs will go in on time and how to get them because my school does Naviance on everything and my GC is very busy x.x One teacher said they already uploaded it but it still says “In progress” on Naviance and I’m just a mess.</p>

<p>Best of luck to everybody else in their respective EA applications though. </p>

<p>@HeisAidanD‌, I believe there is one more step teachers have to take after they upload a rec. If the submit step doesn’t happen, it doesn’t change to Complete. DD had a teacher that uploaded the LOR but it stayed “In Progess” until they hit submit. Your GC has the ability to do the final step also. There is a way for GCs to see the status of all LORs if they are using Naviance. Hope that helps.</p>

<p>BTW, sometimes GCs will not hit submit until you apply to one school. At that point, they know you are priority over those applying EA. After you hit submit on your CA, send them a gentle reminder about the LOR.</p>

<p>@4CookieMonster You just rid all my anxiety in one post! Lol. </p>

<p>^Great! I feel your pain. DD is writing her short answer essay for her last EA app now. </p>

<p>Hi guys! Making my first post in this thread. I’ve applied early to UNC Chapel Hill, Binghamton, and Penn State, and already found out about my acceptances to University of Minnesota and UPitt honors. I’m currently procrastinating on my Princeton SCEA essays… but I hope to have that app sent off today! </p>

<p>Welcome to everyone!! @RFAtoIVY‌ and @Hind2015‌ </p>

<p>@RFAtoIVY‌ I feel you with the Princeton essays! There is so much!</p>

<p>Lol I submitted an early action to MIT as well. Was wondering what type of test scores they take AA’s with</p>

<p>They take AAs with the same scores they take everyone else. To my knowledge, no special privileges.</p>

<p>damn i haven’t checked this thread in ages. how is everyone holding up? the stress is starting to get to both me and my mom. we’re kind of scrambling at the last minute to get everything done. i’m hopefully submitting to Michigan, UIUC, and Fordham tomorrow night. after that my focus will be on Berkeley/UCLA. good luck everyone! </p>

<p>Your scores look fine @HolmesOG‌ even for non AA students at top colleges. It’s all about the essays now.</p>

<p>I just got my MOSTEC evals today. They are pretty good. I don’t know whether or not I will submit them as supplemental info. I’m still trying to finish my last Caltech essay so that’s pretty stressful.</p>

<p>I visited Brown and fell in love with it. Definitely my top choice. That 8.6% acceptance rate though…</p>

<p>@Mathematicious I appreciate the advice. Good luck to everyone with these apps, they can be really stressful. Just sucks that you don’t find out RD applications for another 4+ months :frowning: </p>

<p>I submitted to Harvard today. I did all I could so whatever happens happens. Now I just have to focus on retaking physics and math 2 next weekend and then my more realistic college apps</p>

<p>@KelMoo‌ Did you apply early?
@Jellybae‌ Congrats on submitting.</p>

<p>I just submitted my Caltech app. Finally done applying to my early schools. Now we all must wait until December! :-S </p>

<p>Good luck to everyone! </p>

<p>Yasss Stanford app is in!!! And congrats to those of you have submitted your apps already. </p>

<p>I still have to do Princeton and Yale though</p>