African American Class of 2015

<p>Hey again! RD I am applying to Penn, Columbia, Brown, Princeton, Stanford, Northwestern, and Duke. Maybe Pomona, since staying in sunny California is always a plus :wink: but it seems to be weaker in fields I want to study</p>

<p>@Hind2015ā€Œ What do you plan on studying? </p>

<p>@ā€Œdrblack I am thinking Biochemistry and Global Health</p>

<p>Hello! </p>

<p>I have already applied to Columbia University Early Decision. Iā€™ve been dreaming about it since 9th grade. I almost didnā€™t apply early. 8-> </p>

<p>I (hopefully) will be a French and Francophone Studies and Education double major! I want to be a writer/journalist or guidance counselor. :x </p>

<p>Any fellow Columbia ED applicants? :o3 </p>

<p>So cool. I am thinking about pursuing Global Health myself, pre med? @ā€ŒHind2015
@ilovethecityā€Œ Not ED but RD :slight_smile: </p>

<p>It has begun guys, I just got a likely email from Fordham!!! Wooooohooooo</p>

<p>That verdict though. Cool to know our lives donā€™t matter I guess </p>

<p>congrats @Anduar3ā€Œ !! What sport do you play?</p>

<p>@Jellybaeā€Œ you beat me to it :(</p>

<p>To live in White Americaā€¦ I feel with you guys. My heart hurts</p>

<p>I was born and raised in the Caribbean,in a predominantly black country. There I never felt anything but normal because everyone looked like me, and it wasnā€™t until I moved to the US that I became black. Moving from being a part of the majority to the minority is a culture shock and Iā€™ve never been more self aware of my own presence in a group as I do now. Itā€™s truly a sad day to know that I can be struck down because of my skin color. </p>

<p>But at the end of the day, no matter how you feel about the contours of this case and how it continues to unfold, please remember that the parents in the middle of this had to bury their son. That in itself is just devastating. Letā€™s all keep them in our hearts. </p>

<p>@emenyaā€Œ, I did swimming and tennis in high school, but Iā€™m not a recruited athlete. Besides, I think one of the criteria of being recruited is that you have to be a current high school student and I already graduated high school and am on a gap year. </p>

<p>Yes. It must be extremely hard for them. And they wonā€™t be left to grieve in private. I feel they have been bombarded non-stop since this tragedy, and I hope they have the strength to keep going on.</p>

<p>ā€œWith liberty and justice for all.ā€ Iā€™m so done with America right now. How are we suppossed to succeed in college knowing that our own ā€œjusticeā€ system is against us?</p>

<p>Just having to acknowledge how powerless I am makes my heart hurt so muchā€¦ I want to do somethingā€¦ But even our president wonā€™t do anything. All I can do is watch while there is an open season on my people</p>

<p>Our president canā€™t do anything. He isnā€™t king and when he opens his mouth on race, he is criticized for being a racist.</p>

<p>But there are things that can be done. This is a capitalist country that values money. Money talks and you need to have it or form a lobbying group with money. Use that money to influence the politicians. Lastly, protect yourselves. Put a dashcam in your car. They are cheap. When enough people do this, we let the cops know that their actions are always being recorded.</p>

<p>Letā€™s face the facts, we face less racism than our grandparents did in America.</p>

<p>@frugaldoctorā€Œ no our racism is just more covert. Racism is still racism and awful in any century</p>

<p>@Jellybae You are very correct. Many (white) people are under the impression that racism no longer exists. No, it does exists. It simply more covert but obliviously discriminatory. </p>

<p>Anyone who says that racism doesnā€™t exist is just deluding themselves. Iā€™ve always told my friends, that racism is like the weather, people only talk about it when itā€™s severe. Well itā€™s safe to say that thereā€™s a storm brewing so hopefully the political pundits will open up the conversation about race. This isnā€™t post-racial America, Obama isnā€™t the magic black man to end racism and this isnā€™t the dream MLK had, but boy are we close. People look around and they see people of different races hanging out, dating, and living comfortable lives and they say to themselves that racism is over. They use phrases like ā€œLook How Far Weā€™ve Comeā€ to feel better about themselves but what they donā€™t see, or care not to see, is the new form of racial prejudice. They donā€™t see when white women clutch their bags tighter at night when a black man is walking by. They donā€™t see the sales associate and security guards following black shoppers around. They donā€™t hear the diminishing comments of teachers or students in school. They donā€™t see all this because it doesnā€™t exist in their reality. So what then is a Black American to do in this new America? What does it mean now to be black in the age of Obama? This is all new to me and I canā€™t help but feel like an outsider looking in. When I see my black peers struggling to do well, or falling into the mould of being black, I get saddened. The few blacks who do well and strive to do well, I think, have a responsibility to others to show them that they too can rise above it all. Sigh, I guess for now we can all do our little parts and hope that someone out there sees it. </p>