African-American High School Class of 2018

@aspiringgirl I get so excited whenever you mention princess duties.

Plans are research so I can enter Siemens Competition, MOSTEC, Girl Up Leadership Summit and studying for the ACT.

@arinuma Lol I feel like so weird saying I’m a princess lol.

You’re so busy!! #BlackExcellence #WeAin’tNeedNoLeda

Hi! New to this thread. I’m an AA girl in NorCal, from the Class of 2018. I mostly likely will end up at a CSU and hope to work in the music industry (either in radio or with a label/production company, the big dream is to be a talent manager and/or start my own label… that last one is probably pretty far down the line though. Lol)

Totally unrelated question. How are you guys involved in activism/ how’d you get involved (like how were you able to start writing for a blog, etc) I’m super interested in activism but I live in a suburban area at a PWI, and while there’s a few people who are aware of/support activism, I don’t know anyone who’s actually involved directly. There’s not too many social justice programs/programs for high schoolers in general in my area which is annoying. There are programs for AA kids to get involved with that I was apart of as a kid (like Jack and Jill, Black scholarship pageants, etc) but I learned quick that there’s a couple families that pretty much dominate all of it and there’s just way too much drama/elitism involved which is super disappointing. Anyway, activism is something I definitely plan on diving into in college but it’d be cool to get involved now too.

@lemondrop77 You just gotta start small. It can be as simple as inviting a speaker to your school or starting a club. I get that feeling too from time to time where I feel like I’m not doing “real work”, but all forms of activism no matter the size have validity. You could start a Black Student Union or a cultural awareness club and organize community events. Artsy scenes tend to have more activists, so you could try going to youth slam poetry contests.

@lemondrop77 Is there a local chapter of NAACP? They may have a youth group which you could look into. Another option is to look for volunteer opportunities that have an activism purpose. You may want to try your local United Way to check out non-profits in your area. If you are near one of the CSU’s you mentioned you may want to look at their site to see what the Black Student Union may be planning. Some events may be open to the public and you could network for other suggestions.

A question for all of you: ACT or SAT? S18 is deciding which to focus on for summer prep so which do you recommend?

@lemondrop77 So the first thing that you need to get involved in activism is passion. I also attend a predominately white and he lla conservative high school. One of the things that I did was stand outside by myself with signs that said things like “Black Lives Matter” or “Am I next?” I had did this before school and a teacher tried to tell me to go to class like 14 minutes before even started. So I stay where I was, then went to talk to the principal who said I followed all of the rules. So the next day I went back and stood, and about 4 ppl joined me. The next day about 10-15 joined.

Thank you so much. How do you think would be a good way to go about starting a BSU? Talking to my principal/activities director first, or getting a group of interested people together first, then talking to a school official?

@magnetnh thank you!! I just contacted my NAACP for more information.

@aspiringgirl That’s so cool of you to come up with!! I like to think that I’d be able to do something like that but I know I have a long way to go before I’m able to put myself out there as much as you did. The passion is there, but I’m a lot more comfortable talking and sharing with a group than demonstrating in front of hundreds of people- especially alone. I’m gonna get there one day though! Lol.

@magnetnh Has he taken practice tests for both yet?

@aspiringgirl it’s technically a magazine but AffinityMagazine!

Hey guys… I JUST RECEIVED A KEY TO MY CITYYYYYY!!! Black Excellence!

@aspiringgirl congrats!!!

Thank you!!

@aspiringgirl I AM SO PROUD TO KNOW YOU.

@magnetnh ACT for pacing reasons and it is easier to me.

@lemondrop77 Start small like Hamlon said. Jump at opportunities to speak in public about these issues. Contact others. And most often people will help you if you act like you know what you are doing.

@lemondrop77
Most importantly, DO NOT be discouraged. When I helped found my school’s BSU, only 3-6 people came to the meetings. But that was sophomore year. Now, over 20 students come to every single meeting. Patience is key.

@Hamlon he has taken both but wanted to get perspectives from other students.

@aspiringgirl Congrats! Are you in GPS? My S18 mentioned that a similar great news was shared on that forum today.

@magnetnh lol…That’s me!