Alabama Action Form is Up

<p>AA is still hot, August in AL there’s no escaping it. However, last year there was an option to work with kids doing eye screenings or something and that was inside and air conditioned. Otherwise, AA is working at schools but not necessarily with ac.</p>

<p>Two years ago, D1 chose to do AA over OA, partially because of the heat and also because she’s not a huge “outdoor” person. At AA, her group ended up painting & doing landscaping outside of a school. So choosing AA doesn’t mean you’ll be inside.</p>

<p>beth’s mom: Our D (w/similar sounding outdoor, environmental interests to your D) did OA last year, from the northeast, she also was worried about the weather/heat but decided to go with her interest and figured the week would allow her to adjust to the heat before school actually started. Fortunately last year it wasn’t too hot so she didn’t have any problems and OA was a real highlight in starting her first year. I believe they are very good about taking breaks and keeping well hydrated.</p>

<p>My D did the eye screenings last year. You would be driven to another town to do the screenings. My D enjoyed screening the little children who ranged in age from 3 to 6 years. The screenings took place in various cities and Tuscaloosa. One place was Demopolis, AL. There were only 4 or so AA students on each trip.</p>

<p>My Daughter sent off the AA form yesterday (with check). I went ahead and added the extra 5 bucks to ensure registered delivery, you never know. </p>

<p>Reason she gave for AA was after reading news articles of past AA and OA events, she noticed several AA participants spoke of forming mentoring partners with some of the young students and being able to offer up big brother/big sister sessions long after AA was finished.</p>

<p>It sounds like that isn’t always the case, from reading this thread; but it is what swayed her.</p>

<p>It probably won’t help many, but in our case, daughter will be living off campus – I spoke w/Honors College yesterday and they said as long as daughter was available for all events (both on and off campus) then it wouldn’t be an issue. It means she will just leave late for home and come in early to be able to socialize with the other AA participants.</p>

<p>DS says OA is not terrible as far as the heat is concerned. I have heard that the AA group is sometimes in non-air-conditioned schools so that may be just as hot.They do take lots of breaks and try to break up the day as much as possible. They also have done lots of projects in the last couple of years around the water. They wind up taking lots of dips! My DS met one of his roommates at OA 2 years ago. They both loved the program and both were student leaders last year and will also be fall 2012. I’m sure any of your children will enjoy either program! But, I know my DS would vote for OA!</p>

<p>I have a question about move-in day for AA. How are move-in days/times assigned?
I’d love if my D could move in Saturday, 8-11 so H can help. He needs to be in Vegas for a business trip on 8-12.</p>

<p>Linny…times are not assigned. You will have the opportunity to sign up for a time. This usually happens in June. If I remember it was after we got back from Bama Bound (we went the first week of June) so perhaps the 10th or so…my DD received an email in her Crimson acct alerting us when sign ups would be. On that morning she just logged in and picked a time. Times went quickly so I would make sure your DD checks her Crimson email often so you know when you can sign up.</p>

<p>Wondering if there is a way to confirm that we are signed up for AA. Sent a check the first day it was online, but no extra confirmation or overnighting with it. Just looking around mybama, and can’t seem to find a place it might be. Thanks for any insight!!</p>

<p>This is the POC for AA this year – She may be able tell if your student is registered…</p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>If we sent in the application for AA, is that all we need to do? I was reading old posts and someone was talking about trying to add AA as a class through my bama.</p>

<p>You can’t add the class yet. I think you have to go to Bama Bound first.</p>

<p>As m2ck says – if I’m reading all the previous posts correctly, the ability to add/register for AA will be no earlier than 2nd day of BB. We will need to add the daughter to AA ourselves, at that time. </p>

<p>Also, if I’m comprehending correctly, we should receive an email letting us know we are registered for AA (looks like some previous posters said they received theirs in March time frame).</p>

<p>I plan on watching the bank to see when our check clears – I figure that will be a good indication that daughter was accepted (per Honors College, there is plenty of room yet).</p>

<p>If the check hasn’t cleared by 1 March, I will call Honors College to check on status of my daughter’s AA application.</p>

<p>So we have to wait until BB to actually add AA? Well, then what I read on a post from last summer makes sense. People were saying how their student couldn’t add it to their schedule because it was filled since they went to an AA that was after the 2 earlier honors sessions, and yet they had sent in the application. I am assuming the problem was resolved, and if you sent in your application and check, you can take part.</p>

<p>If your check is cashed, your student is admitted into Alabama Action or Outdoor Action (whichever one they applied to). The student will need to register for the class at Bama Bound. If for some reason the student is unable to add the course during registration, it can be added at a later date. The need to register for the class is due to the way the course is credited. Note that it will count as a credit on ones fall schedule and may be subject to additional fees should one be taking more than 16 credits (more than 20 credits for students on selected merit scholarships).</p>

<p>You are right linnylu. If you are accepted into OA or AA you will get the class. IIRC, my D added AA after BB. It won’t be a problem. It is a one hour honors level class and you can even get an A+ in it. HTH. RTR!!! ( Did I use enough abbreviations? Ha!)</p>

<p>Is there a selection process for AA.</p>

<p>As far as I know it was first come first served and they tried to accommodate your request for the school based or FF portion last year. I bet M2ck knows for sure…</p>

<p>The AA application mentions the need to submit and pass a background check. How do we go about doing this? Is that something they will inform us about after receiving the application?</p>