Housing Shortage

<p>Housing just offered upperclassmen with housing the opportunity to cancel their housing contracts and get a return of the $250 deposit and a $500 scholarship to the Supe Store. They must really need space for freshmen. Anyone know how big the incoming class is?</p>

<p>Oh wow! Is there enough non-university housing to pick up the extras?</p>

<p>i wonder how many upperclassmen even had housing?</p>

<p>there probably are a number of rising sophs that have housing.</p>

<p>last year’s freshman class was 6397 students.</p>

<p>how many dorm beds are there?</p>

<p>Beth’s mom, did Beth get an email? My son did not.</p>

<p>^^She did. The e-mail included a list (with links) of off-campus properties that still have space. I’m not sure how many upperclassmen have campus housing. Obviously students with housing scholarships will stay put - they’re not going to give up their housing scholarship for $500. Besides them, I think it’s just some sophomores - not all sophomores who wanted housing got it, and I think if you didn’t get in during the first hour or so on January 2 you were out of luck.</p>

<p>I think it is kind of sad that it appears my DS won’t have much of a choice about staying on campus for his second year. My DD’s second year on campus was really great and she met many new friends as she switched dorms. She was ready for an apartment for her third year, but I really wish my DS would have a choice if he’s not quite ready to move off campus.</p>

<p>Peachtide, there will be another dorm open next year. Chances may be better.</p>

<p>^ I forgot about that! I hope you are right. I just want him to be able to have an option!</p>

<p>My S is a rising sophomore and he has not been asked to give up his housing. He and two of his roommates did apply apply for housing as soon as possible, but one didn’t do so until several hours later. This roommate (also a rising soph.) was put on the waitlist, but was eventually offerred housing.</p>

<p>Just wanted to share this so that parents of incoming freshman do not get too nervous about housing for the second year. With another dorm opening up, loss of the NM housing scholarship after the first year, etc… things won’t be too bad.</p>

<p>Also, you never know…You could spend the next year worrying about housing and then your child could end up wanting to move off campus! My son actually wanted to move off campus, but just never got around to researching places to live. Also, one of his roommates has a housing scholarship and he really wants to room with him… Had my son not been offerred on campus housing, he wouldn’t have been heartbroken. :)</p>

<p>My son (a 2nd year a non-NMF student) did not get the email either? wonder how many they sent it to and how they decided to whom to send it? I wonder if they needed more “girl” rooms?</p>

<p>The freshman class last year was the biggest in the school’s history, and I have no doubt this year’s class will be even bigger. Presidential II will not be ready until Fall of 14, but that will add about another 1000 beds. Let’s just hope that is enough!</p>

<p>That’s a good thought, CrimsonMom. It might have just gone to girls because they need girl rooms (and unless a whole suite of boys vacated, which they can’t count on, they couldn’t put girls in boy suites). I can’t think of another reason why none of the boys appear to have gotten the e-mail.</p>

<p>I know the email didn’t go to girls with the NMF housing scholarship that are rising Sophomores. D and her room mates didn’t get the email–UA probably realizes they wouldn’t give up the free housing. :)</p>

<p>I wonder if it’s time to drop the residency requirement for freshman. I’m pretty sure there are plenty of non-scholarship in-state students who would gladly elect pay less to live off-campus.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>No, because the shortage is temporary as they get Presidential built. The school won’t want to drop the req’t because:</p>

<p>A) studies show that frosh adjust better if they live on campus.</p>

<p>B) the school might end up with a bunch of empty dorms.</p>

<p>Good to know it’s only temporary. I feel for the student feeling the pinch through. I remember the on-campus growing pains of 2005-2007.</p>

<p>Agree with m2ck, I’d prefer for frosh to live on campus. Even if one was from in state, trying to get an apartment rented and stocked while dealing with senior year would be a PITA! </p>

<p>You need that first year on campus to get plugged in and acclimated. If they lived off campus it would be even harder to meet new friends, get involved in on campus activities, take the opportunity to go to the library to study, etc. On campus they are surrounded by their peers with less distractions.</p>

<p>I would add that living off campus isn’t necessarily all it is cracked up to be either. If you are not in one of the “top tier” properties (based on location, not amenities) that offers a shuttle, I don’t see the point. If you can find a property that is accessible via a REASONABLE bike or a walk, that is one thing. But to be OOS (or at least not a family residing in Tuscaloosa) and have an apartment and then commute with a vehicle makes almost no sense to me, especially if the majority of your classes are on the North end of campus. The commuter lots are really on the outer perimeter of campus and do not appear to be convenient to me at all. I think the convenience of living on campus cannot be overstated enough. Again, it is merely my opinion, but I find the comparison to Disney World to be appropriate here. Sure, you can go down there and stay off-property and save a few bucks, but why not be right in the mix if you can? I know few upperclass students are afforded that ability, but I see the value in it time and time again.</p>

<p>My bigger fear is the on-campus dining capacity. With Fresh Foods only being open every odd-dated Thursday for 2 hours on a full moon only, I am seeing less value in the meal plans… (sorry, just my biggest pet peeve by far).</p>