Any chance for a UC

She is definitely in the ball park for all those schools but make sure she has a few backups (safeties) that she would be willing to attend no matter what happens during the admissions process.

Do CSU’s consider extra credit curricular activities and essays like UC’s do? I read somewhere online that CSU’s only consider GPA and SAT/ACT scores. Is this true?

Cal poly SLO considers hours/week for EC’s but you do not list your EC’s like the UC’s. None of the CSU’s have an essay component to their application. CSU admissions is based on CSU GPA, test scores, HS course rigor, local admission area and state residency.

Is she taking 5 or 6 APs as a senior? The gap between unweighted and weighted capped should be around .30 if she’s taken 4+ APs by the end of 11th grade. A .18 gap seems pretty small. If she was more in the 4.10-4.15 range for UC weighted capped she would be right in the running for the second-tier UCs (SD, I, D and SB).

I am confused - I read online that students use Common Application when applying CSU’s. Isn’t there one essay (up to 650 words) required on the common application?

You are right - her unweighted GPA for 10th and 11th grades is 3.67 (3.82 shown on her transcript was from 9th-11th). Thank you for pointing it out.

CSUs don’t use the Common Application, but have an application unique to CSUs. No essay. Just CalPoly SLO has a few questions that use a pull down menu with options for answering. No chance to expand or explain.

So can I assume Common App is only used for applying private universities?

After all the surprises I saw with acceptances and non-acceptances this past 2 months, I’m hesitant to provide any chancing anymore haha. I would say to apply widely, and work really hard on the essay prompts, starting this summer. Strong ECs and rigor will make a difference as well.

Not all private universities use the common application but the majority will use it. You need to check each schools admission requirements and instructions.

Cal State apply application opens up October 1 and needs to be submitted by November 30th.

The UC application opens August 1 but you cannot submit it until November 1 and the deadline to submit is November 30th.

Thanks for the deadline info. Good to know!
I know many UC’s recommend SAT subject tests but they make it sound like taking those tests are not mandatory. Sounds vague to me. Would you strongly suggest my daughter to take SAT Math II test if she wants to apply a business major or statistics major? Thanks!

@doowife Most UCs do not admit by Major. So your daughter is competing against everyone in Letters and Science. Engineering is usually the one exception. Of course this varies by UC. Subject tests can only help and not hurt. Almost required for engineering tho.

Some UC’s do recommend SAT subject tests for specific majors, usually Engineering/STEM majors. An applicant is not required to take SAT subject tests, but due to the competitive nature of the UC’s, I would recommend any applicant to take them if possible and there are no money restrictions. Since your D is looking at Stats as a possible major, Math II would be a good option.

So the summer break almost comes to an end and my daughter hasn’t started preparing for the SAT subject math II test (she was thinking to apply for business majors or statistics major). Now she said she wants to apply for the accounting major, will she be less competitive as an applicant to UC Riverside business program if she doesn’t take the math subject test?

So the summer break almost comes to an end and my daughter hasn’t started preparing for the SAT subject math II test (she was thinking to apply for business majors or statistics major). Now she said she wants to apply for the accounting major, will she be less competitive as an applicant to UC Riverside business program if she doesn’t take the math subject test?

@doowife: SAT subject tests are not required for UCR. From their website: Applicants to the Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering (BCOE) and College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences (CNAS) are strongly encouraged to take the SAT Math Subject Exam and either the Physics or Chemistry SAT Subject Exam.
If she has a solid SAT Math score, then it will probably not be much of a boost for her major.

@Gumbymom My daughter got 730 on her SAT I math section. She took a Math II practice test for the first time without any study and got far worse than 730. I read online that about 49% of students got 750 or higher on the math II test. If she can’t be among the 49% of students, would she be better of not take it?

My daughter got 730 on her SAT I math section. She took a Math II practice test for the first time without any study and got far worse than 730. I read online that about 49% of students got 750 or higher on the math II test. If she can’t be among the 49% of students, would she be better of not take it?

730 SAT Math is a very good score. If she is not targeting the top UC’s, I would say do not bother with the Math II SAT subject test at this point. UCI and UCSB (For the College of Creative Studies) are the only UC’s that recommend Math II subject tests for Math/Stats majors. Nothing for Business majors.

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it!