Applying to Transfer Colleges… need advice [VA resident at JMU, $30k budget, frosh media studies major, 3.8 HS GPA, 1250 SAT, prefers hippie/granola/skater/city]

In my current situation, I am hoping to transfer schools in Fall 2023.
There are many reasons that I want to transfer, but the top 2 are that there is nothing to do in this small town, and that there is a lack of diversity (not just in race, but that most every person here is pretty much the same frat/sorority vibe).

I am looking for a school with a cool vibe like (hippie, granola, skater, city) kind of feel, where I can meet people who are more similar to me. The west coast really appeals to me, although I would need to find schools that cost a similar amount to what I am paying now in state. (Anything over 30k is probably unreasonable).

Some schools I’ve found so far are Portland State, Long Beach state, and I liked UCSC and DePaul but they are likely to expensive.

I am hoping for more suggestions on schools to look into (city or coastal schools are great), and opinions on the schools listed above.

My current major is media studies, so I would like to continue that at my transfer school. Anything film/ media related is a good fit. Thank you so much for your help along this confusing journey!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What state is “in state”?

1 Like

Virginia, I currently attend JMU

What is your current college GPA?

Are you currently a frosh or sophomore student? If frosh, what was your high school GPA and SAT/ACT scores (if any)?

1 Like

Not sure of my college GPA yet, since the semester is just ending now (my grades are pretty decent), but my high school GPA was a 3.8.

1 Like

SAT score was 1250

JMU’s common data set says that only 12%/16% of men/women first-year students are in fraternities/sororities. Can you try to find the other 84-88% of students?

Realistically, many of the out-of-state public schools will be difficult to afford on a $30k budget.

2 Likes

Note that Portland State and CSU Long Beach have large populations of local commuter students. This may or may not be what you want as a residential student from a large distance away.

Long Beach state accepts Junior level transfers (60 semester/90 quarter units) so you will not qualify for a Fall 2023 transfer. They do not consider HS grades or ACT/SAT scores only your College GPA and required transfer courses. Cost of attendance for a non-resident is around $36K/year to attend not including transportation.

So, you are still finding your way. Like a lot of students, your first semester of college has seen a significant change in focus (from Marine Biology/Life Sciences to Film/media studies). You turned down UVM (which would have gotten you hippie/granola, but not skater/urban)(& imo those are very different groups), for a traditional campus experience, but (so far) find it too traditional.

Now, 3 months in, you want to throw off the east coast for the west coast- but so far you have turned up commuter schools, which are not going to give you any community at all, and once you factor in cost of living are unlikely to be affordable.

As you are looking for next autumn, applications aren’t due until next March/April, so you have time to do some more figuring out. What are you doing in January for winter sessions?

ps, I am looking at my niece who is a JMU digital comms & media studies graduate, had amazing internships (I remember one with NBC in NYC), was recruited for a great job in DC straight from college and has just recently been hired away by a major name-brand company in San Francisco.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear about your nieces success with the Media studies program here.

I never majored in marine biology here, I came in undecided and recently declared my major. I know how it seems that it is “just the first semester adjusting as a freshman”, but it’s not necessarily the transition period that I’m struggling with. I more just crave a more lively city scene, which I could attain by transferring.

I’m taking some basic media studies and gen Ed’s next semester, and am going to continue researching schools that fit my needs. Going to keep my GPA up so I can have the best shot.

1 Like

Additionally, I am not necessarily set on any of the schools I listed, they were just some examples that I like the location and vibe of :slight_smile:

CSU Long Beach notes the following Cost of Attendance

Non resident tuition $10,296
Tuition & Mandatory Fees $6,884
Room and Board $14,932
Books and Supplies $1,092 $
Transportation $1,134
Personal Expenses $2,140
TOTAL $36,478

For 2023 it’s going to be a little more expensive.
https://www.csulb.edu/financial-aid-and-scholarships/undergraduate-costs

For Santa Cruz and most of the UC’s, expect similar costs.

Entering Students On-Campus Off-Campus Commuter
Tuition and Fees ** $14,640 $14,640 $14,640
Room and Board * $18,186 $15,654 $7,101
Books and Supplies * $1,203 $1,203 $1,203
Transportation * $810 $1,287 $2,055
Personal Expenses * $1,509 $1,590 $1,905
Campus Health Insurance * ** $2,823 $2,823 $2,823
Total California Resident Budget $39,171 $37,197 $29,727
Non-Resident Tuition $31,026 $31,026 $31,026
Total Non-California Resident Budget $70,197 $68,223 $60,753

https://financialaid.ucsc.edu/cost-to-attend/undergraduate-costs.html

I get that you want the laid-back environment that the California schools tend to present. The UC’s and CSU’s are public universities that are funded by California residents which means that non-residents pay full freight. You wont receive any state financial aid and the federal aid barely covers insurance and fees.

Yes, it will be very expensive, but the main issue is that these schools have become very competitive. They take local Community College students as priority for transfer admission.

Also, Santa Cruz has major issues with housing. They don’t have enough.

Yes, Long Beach, like SDSU, are very large universities with large commuter campuses but you can’t really tell that on the weekends because both campuses are fortunate that they are always busy with on-campus events. My niece lives on-campus at LB, and she loves the environment. She’s always busy there. The beach is relatively close, so there is always that attraction

Good luck! You will find your tribe, but it may take a while.

2 Likes

Will you qualify for financial aid? It will be difficult to meet budget otherwise. You might take a look at Western Washington or Lewis & Clark. Both have media/communications and I think they fit the vibe you are wanting.

1 Like

Closer to home, have you considered UNC Asheville or VCU?

2 Likes

How about University at Buffalo. Great media studies program. Super eclectic student body, plenty of skaters/hippie types. Not big frat school. Really no particular type. Great city experience with tons to do and Toronto 90 min away. Price for out of state is not too bad.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.