April Open House

<p>anyone going?? Right now Colorado is one of my top if not top schools and I think a visit would really help me decide. But... I live in New York which makes it kind of difficult to get out. Does anyone know if its worth all that money for one night? Is it well run? Also I'm going alone without my parents is that going to be weird? will I be the only kid without parents along and will i get stuck wandering around alone for long periods?</p>

<p>I went 2 years back with my son and it is truly worth it, especially if you have never been to the campus before.</p>

<p>You will be busy every minute, so you will never feel alone. My son and I attended the orientation together, then he was introduced to the boy who would be his buddy…they went off on their way and the parents went theirs. Each had programs to follow. I did see him at Dinner, but he simply waved. I spent the night in a nearby hotel and he spent it with his buddy. Meet up the next morning and off we went.</p>

<p>I think the only time you would miss a parent would be the traveling…</p>

<p>Go, have fun, get to know the campus!!!</p>

<p>thanks! thats what i was hoping to hear. And turns out I got a travel scholarship to come visit so I’m going for free!</p>

<p>Yes, I was going to say definitely come visit, it’s totally worth it! And now that it’s free, no reason not to come! Plus I feel like a decent amount of people go without parents. Besides, like lester said, for the most part you will be with your student host and parent and student activities are separated, so it won’t seem weird at all. Good luck and enjoy your visit!</p>

<p>my son (from upstate NY) went to the April open house alone last year and felt very comfortable. Apparently didnt miss us at all and got the experience of traveling out there. He is now an extremely happy freshman at CC. Hope you like it as much as he does</p>

<p>First of all, congrats on getting in! Since you asked, I’ll say that I was intending on going to the April Open House, but now I can’t due to high school obligations. Since plenty of reasons as to why you should go have been stated, I’ll refrain from echoing everyone else. If you do go to the Open House, I hope you have a great time, and if you do decide to attend, welcome to the Class of 2015!</p>

<p>P.S.
If you end up going to the April Open House, would you mind posting how it went (i.e., what you did, what the students were like, etc.)? Thanks!</p>

<p>So i just got back from my Open House weekend and I’m so glad I went. In fact the first thing I did when i got home was send in my deposit… so I’m going to CC for sure now! If anyone is on the fence about making the trip I definitely recommend it, it’s well organized and if nothing else, the food is good!</p>

<p>I have to admit when i first got there after three plane connections and two delayed flights I was not in the best mood but when i got my first glimpse of the mountains that started to change. Being from New York I’ve never really seen mountains quite like that and flying over the desert was a lot different than flying over the green hills of the Northeast so that was pretty cool too.</p>

<p>Anyways, I was matched with my host pretty soon after i got there. She was responsible for me and three other prospies (prospective students) which was nice because along with getting to meet some current students I got a chance to get a feel for what the incoming class would be like. My host was really great and she had an enthusiasm for the school which was infectious and i sound found out not in the least uncommon. </p>

<p>The two day one night stay included a tour, ice cream social, acapella prominences, two catered meals, a speech from president Celeste, dodgeball, hanging out in the dorm as our host answered about a million of our questions, and im sure some more activities that my east coast time zone acclimated body just didn’t allow me the energy to participate in. </p>

<p>My favorite part however was getting to sit in on a class. I’ve read about how CC has small classes and professors that go by there first names but experiencing it made it so much more real. The Poly Sci class i sat in on only had eight students and was structured around a long table with big comfy chairs that the professor sat at and conducted a conversation with the students. I was really impressed by how knowledgeable the professor was, (undergrad at stanford and PhD at Harvard i later found out) a big change from some of my current teachers.</p>

<p>Mostly i just got a really good vibe from the students and faculty. Everyone was extremely friendly and I never felt out of place going up to someone and introducing myself or asking questions. Everything i heard from students just backed up all the great things Ive read about CC . There were countless stories of professors going above and beyond and classes that took students out of the country to study all of the things that originally drew me to look at CC. I was a little worried about the block plan before visiting but now I can’t really imagine studying on the semester plan. I can’t wait to start at CC in August and go on my New Student Orientation Trip.</p>

<p>…That recap got a little more long-winded that i had intended but i hope it helps someone. if you have any more questions id love to answer them or just talk about CC in general!</p>

<p>mcjones… thanks so much for the report on your visit. CC sounds like everything I have heard and more. My S is a Junior and will be applying EA next Fall. We will be going over for a visit and interview in the Fall. He is very excited about CC for all the reasons you have stated here. He is a little worried about the block plan too, but truthfully I think he will thrive in that environment. He does much better the more he has to do, and also when he can’t procrastinate. How was the weather?</p>

<p>So glad you enjoyed your visit mcjones! Let me know if you have any more questions about CC :)</p>

<p>5boys - the weather was great! like i said im from new york, Buffalo to be exact, so pretty much anything would be warmer and Colorado Springs was no exception. It was sunny both days I was there and there were students all over playing frisbee, slacklining and i even caught part of a quiddich game which was really funny.</p>

<p>It did get noticeably cooler at night though which is standard of the area and also I heard a lot of comments about how the weather can be very bi polar (warm one minute and snowing the next) my host said its all about learning how to layer.</p>