Are these rumors true about TAMU?

<p>I heard many good things about TAMU but also some bad ones. I was just wondering if these rumors are true or they are overly exaggerated. Please dont take offense to any of these statements. Im merely quoting what I heard from people. </p>

<ol>
<li>People are TAMU are very conservative and mostly white. Minorities have difficult time doing well at TAMU.(Im Asian)</li>
</ol>

<p>2.Most people in TAMU come from local high schools. Transfer students and students coming in from other states often have trouble making friends at TAMU and engaging with them. (Im from Louisville Kentucky)</p>

<ol>
<li><p>People there are religious fanatics and will try to force their religion on you. (Im Athiest)</p></li>
<li><p>Too closeminded. No variety in views.</p></li>
<li><p>Not much social life there.</p></li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li><p>A&M is regarded as a conservative university and the majority are white, but if you’re a liberal or minority you’ll fit in perfectly. I’m a Pakistani and I’m doing great here: the people are amazing.</p></li>
<li><p>The other day I was walking through campus when these 2 guys asked me if they could talk with me for a while about Jesus, Christianity, etc. Just to be nice, I said sure. They give me the whole bit and were very respectful and cool about it. No forcing. On the other hand, a friend of mine (who also attends A&M) posted on Facebook about how some guy tried to convert him and got mad at him at the end (I don’t know how true this is, it was a Facebook status). But I while I have seen religious people here, I haven’t seen a fanatic, and I’m pretty sure no one will try to “force” their religion on you.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>5.This depends on you: are you into country music, wearing boots, dancing, and any other country-themed activity? If so, then you’ll have a great social life here. Personally, I am not, so I don’t really do much on weekends, other than hangout with friends, go to the Rec. But people usually go to Northgate on the weekend, so you can try that out.</p>

<ol>
<li>People are TAMU are very conservative and mostly white. Minorities have difficult time doing well at TAMU.(Im Asian)</li>
</ol>

<p>First part is mostly true. Second part is not true.
I’m white, and while there are a lot of conservatives here, remember that it’s a college campus. You’re gonna find lots of liberals, too. I haven’t heard of issues where someone was persecuted because of his or her political beliefs.
I’m friends with quite a few minorities at A&M…none of whom feel like they “don’t belong”. We’re an Aggie family here. It is mostly white, but that doesn’t mean you will at all feel left out.</p>

<p>2.Most people in TAMU come from local high schools. Transfer students and students coming in from other states often have trouble making friends at TAMU and engaging with them. (Im from Louisville Kentucky)</p>

<p>People from out of state are hard to find, but most of the people that come here never really hang out with their high school friends. I didn’t, and none of my new college friends really did, either. If you choose A&M, GO TO FISH CAMP. You’ll be put in camps with people who are all starting at the same place: knowing no one. You can meet a lot of great people there if you let yourself branch out.</p>

<ol>
<li>People there are religious fanatics and will try to force their religion on you. (Im Athiest)</li>
</ol>

<p>Eh. Depends on your definition of “force religion”. There are a lot of Christians on campus, but there’s also an active Atheist society that sets up booths on campus every so often. There are non-religious people, and there’s a lot of people who have a religion, but aren’t super religious. Overall, I don’t think you’ll be judged for being an atheist. Most people you meet will be Christian, though, and if that bothers you a lot, it may be an issue.</p>

<ol>
<li>Too closeminded. No variety in views.</li>
</ol>

<p>Not true. It’s college. People are trying to find themselves. I’ve never personally felt judged when I spoke up with a differing opinion.</p>

<ol>
<li>Not much social life there.</li>
</ol>

<p>May be true. Depends on what you like to do for fun. If you like drinking, you’ll be in good company. I’m not much of a drinker myself (personal choice), and I am still able to find enough to do Thursday-Saturday to keep me happy socially. Granted, it’s not as booming of a city as Austin, and if you’re looking for nightlife, CStat will probably not be your place.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>I’d agree with the above poster, I don’t think you’d have any problem fitting in.</p></li>
<li><p>if by local you mean in and around college station, that is not the case. I would think that a majority of students are from texas, which can still be 12 hours away. A&M has become very selective in who they accept so its not lot its just a community college extension of local high schools. I go to one of the best public schools in texas and only about 25 out of 550 of the students in my class were fully accepted into A&M. You will be surrounded by smart people at A&M and I don’t think you would have any problems making friends.</p></li>
<li><p>I sincerely hope not, as I’m agnostic </p></li>
<li><p>There are 50,000 or so students at A&M, there is going to be a huge variety in views.</p></li>
<li><p>College station is a college town through and through, most of the activities are going to be happening on or around campus, there is not going to be the type of venues that you would find in a big city such as Austin. That said, I don’t think there is any lack of a social scene.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Ah… well, thats a relief. Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>As an Aggie mom, I second the “go to fish camp” suggestion above. This is a wonderful start to your college education. You’ll bond with these kids and have a ready made group of friends for the beginning of school. These kids help each other and their leaders help all of them get “settled”. This really helps lower the stress level for freshmen!</p>

<p>Hello, I’m Johnathan and I’m going to be attending A&M. I’ve heard similar things to what the poster stated but I’m not too sure. I talked to a student there and she said that they have preference over white pledges in some sororities. I know things like this happen and that they’re inevitable, but it worries me with me being Hispanic. On the other hand, a couple of friends of mine whom are Hispanic and Asian who now attend A&M, don’t have a problem there whatsoever.</p>

<p>Is it too late to register for the fish camp? Do you have to pay for it? Thank you.</p>

<p>Fish camp registration doesn’t even open until mid may, and you do have to pay for it. Also if you haven’t signed up for your NSC, do so very soon. If you haven’t signed up before May 1st, your acceptance will be retracted and A&M assumes you chose a different school.</p>

<p>I am going to Texas A&M as a freshman!I am so excited and I am proud being an aggie!</p>

<p>I live in Texas and have seen that most conservative kids choose A&M over UT, and vice-versa. That said, it appears that most are happy with their choices. You’re going there for an education, and no one will stand in your way. I know many Latinos who have gone to A&M and love it.</p>

<p>My experience is the same as Anxiousfather’s although my S who is not conservative, is white but doesn’t fit the typical profile chose TAMU over UT. I think the friendliness and the sense of comeraderie among all Aggies suited him. In a school as big as TAMU there has to be some diversity. But most of all it seems that Aggies view other Aggies as family. That is the impression we got when visiting. We’re hoping he won’t be disappointed.</p>

<p>I live in Austin and personally if you want a true college experience you should go to A&M because UT is set in the middle of a city so there isn’t much of that college atmosphere.</p>

<p>Being Asian is non issue. S2-Asian American Senior from CA will be graduating this May. He love TAMU and has decided to stay on next year for his graduate studies eventhough he was accepted into other UCs. Be open minded and don’t judge just base on hearsay. You will be fine and it is all up to you to dictates the outcome.</p>