Arizona State Admissions Fall 2022 - Class of 2026

For those of you who have Barrett acceptances, how long did it take for the decision to come? We didn’t realize that Barrett was rolling as well–the website made us think that all kids who applied before November 1st found out on Dec. 22. My kid applied on October 27.

1 Like

My daughter’s application was completed 10/3. We emailed on 10/20 to check on the status because on the website it says "Beginning in early October, National Merit Semi-Finalists, National Merit Finalists, and College Board National Recognition Program recipients will be given an expedited review of their Barrett application, receiving a decision within approximately three weeks of their application being complete. " They replied that they had not started reviewing any Barrett applications yet but would be by the 1st. She received her acceptance 11/1.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear about the sudden change in ASU scholarships. Perhaps not unexpected given the test blind policies and unpredictability for UC’s. Both ASU and Uof A are attractive destinations for CA residents, and there is not much else out there in the other western states in terms of flagships with well recognized programs (except for WA, but that’s also competitive).
My kid was thinking about applying to Barrett. I am an ASU alum and still have family there. But with this news, it’s been crossed off the list.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Different procedure for NM and NRP. Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

Did you take a look at NAU - Northern Arizona University? I couldn’t find any eligibility criteria related to AZ residency.

Amount: Covers 100 percent of tuition; does not cover fees or other expenses. $1,000 stipend provided each year for the first two years of attendance. National Scholars Award winners also receive automatic entry into NAU Honors College.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes NAU and UofA have good scholarships. Their honors programs don’t quite compete with Barrett and in my daughter’s case they don’t have a strong animation/visualization degree program like ASU does. ASU was the only Arizona school my daughter was considering specifically for their BFA in animation and Barrett. But for others that have a different major those may be good schools to consider. There were some things about ASU’s BFA in Animation that my daughter preferred to Texas A&M’s visualization program. ASU is 2D and 3D animation. A&M is 3D animation only. But they were close and our net cost was going to be the same so it was going to be a tough decision but now with the change in cost- it looks like it will be A&M. We aren’t going to pay twice as much to send her to ASU over A&M. But she is still waiting on SMU to see what their scholarship offer is based on her art portfolio. So now it is between SMU and Texas A&M for my daughter.

1 Like

I am sorry that the Barrett scholarship for non-residents has been reduced. I feel sorry for your daughter and the other students affected. Maybe that will cause that the overall students’ academic level at Barrett to drop as well.

We are AZ residents and my daughter wants to study Astronomy / Astrophysics. She still does not know whether she wants to stay in Arizona, or which of the three university programs she prefers (ASU, UofA or NAU). We visited all three honors colleges and couldn’t find much difference between them. She is the first in our family to go to college, so this whole process is new to us. I would love to know why do you say:

Their honors programs don’t quite compete with Barrett… ?

Thanks to you and the other parents who have been so helpful.

ASU and UofA are widely considered a notch above NAU. Apply to both Barrett and Franke (the new name of UofA Honors). Pick between the two if you get in at both.

1 Like

I don’t have experience with ASU or AU honors colleges, but my older child has had positive experiences with the NAU Honors College. NAU and the college town have been a good “fit,” and being part of the Honors College played a role in becoming a TA second semester freshman year. In addition to academics, I would think that the overall college environment would be an important consideration – Flagstaff mountain college town vs. Tempe vs. Tuscon - each offers a different feel, different number of students, different out-of-classroom opportunities. Although NAU has been great for our older child, our younger one is considering ASU and determining if the campus feel/size would be a comfortable “fit.”

2 Likes

Honors programs/honors colleges vary widely. Barrett has been the gold standard for honors colleges. It’s a comprehensive residential honors college. UofA actually recently upgraded theirs and they have just been recognized for “most improved” honors college and it does look pretty good now. Check out the honors program/college at each college on their website to compare for yourself and see what each has to offer. Texas A&M for example has an honors program (not a comprehensive honors college) but the only real perk is priority registration. The dorms they are required to live in are not the nicest on campus and not exclusively honors dorms just honors floors and wings and they don’t have singles and they have to share a bedroom with an assigned roommate and they have a lot of requirements and extra work for very little benefit and perks… anyway she isn’t going to do the honors program at A&M for several reasons but mainly because she doesn’t want to live in the assigned dorm there. There are several other dorms that she strongly prefers where she can have a private bedroom. Whereas she was going to be in Barrett Honors College at ASU and the dorm is actually really nice with private bedrooms and is part of a nice honors complex with all sorts of amenities, perks, and benefits.

Here’s an interesting article about honors colleges and honors programs.

4 Likes

That book is pretty good too: Yes, We Have a Book | Public University Honors

2 Likes

My daughter already applied to the three honors colleges. We will research more about them to make a decision. Thank you all for the replies and reading suggestions.

2 Likes

If your daughter gets admitted to all of them, you might want to use the true price as the tie-breaker.

2 Likes

Merit scholarship is out. Just logged into myasu and saw President’s Award of 15,500. No email yet.

2 Likes

Congrats! Although it probably wasn’t what you wanted…

1 Like

We received a letter in the mail yesterday with the $15,500 scholarship.

3 Likes

Same here, $15,500 letter in the mail. Made our decision to forget about ASU final.

My daughter D22 also received the $15,500 president’s award, we checked the portal. No email communication yet.

Please share with Barrett admissions - its the only way to get the decision changed

1 Like

Same here, $15500 president’s award. Mine is not NMSF either, took ACT.