Ask a Loyola Student

<p>Hey there! I'm a current Loyola sophomore studying Mass Communications- Journalism. I'd love to answer any questions you might have about Loyola!</p>

<p>Hi
My daughter was accepted and I was wondering about a few things.

1. Do LofNO students use the tulane facilities? Do they feel comfortable/welcome there
  2. How would you describe the campus "vibe’
  3. Is it easy to register for classes and actually get what you need?</p>

<p>Hey there Allimom! </p>

<p>First off, Congratulations on your daughter’s acceptance to Loyola!</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Loyola and Tulane have a dining program in place in which Loyola students can use their meal plan and Wolfbucks at Tulane’s cafeteria and food court area. Tulane students do the same with Loyola’s cafeteria and food court area. Also, Loyola students can take classes at Tulane and vice versa free of charge. Students are only allowed to take classes at the other institution if the classes are not offered at their own university, however. I’d say Loyola and Tulane students definitely feel comfortable on one another’s campuses. Everyone mixes in fairly well and almost everyone I know has at least one friend at Tulane’s campus. </p></li>
<li><p>I’d describe the campus “vibe” as very friendly and open. There are so many different types of people here from so many different places that it makes for a really unique environment. I’ve found that no one really hesitates to be themselves and everyone is very accepting. There are a lot of “artsy” types, but there are just as many “preppy” types, if you will, and everything in between!</p></li>
<li><p>Registering for classes is pretty easy and you almost always get the classes you want. As a freshman, you are offered first dibs for scheduling classes, so you’ll virtually always get your first choices. Even as a sophomore, I’ve never had problems getting into the classes I want and need. Also,each student is assigned an academic advisor (within their major, if they’ve chosen one- if not, they are still placed with an advisor) that is also a professor. They will guide you through scheduling your classes and planning out your academic career at Loyola. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Hope this helps! If you have anymore questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!</p>

<p>How would Loyola be for a non-Catholic student?</p>

<p>Would love to know that as well as we are not Catholic. By your screen name I’m guessing u r a parent. Are you attending the open house in march?</p>

<p>Allimom - </p>

<p>No, we are in California, so while I’d like to go …</p>

<p>Can you suggest any fun classes/professors that you highly recommend? I’m an incoming freshmen.</p>

<p>Also, who’s the best professor for Bio? And the best Chem professor?</p>

<p>Hello! I am a current freshman studying History Pre-Law and Psychology here at Loyola. </p>

<p>I have very much enjoyed my classes this semester (and the last). The professors I have had are very personable and friendly; my Intro to Psychology teacher knew all of our names (around 30 students) by the second week of class! They really care about us and want to get to know us personally. </p>

<p>That said, I have a few general recommendations for you. All of the professors here are phenomenal; some have different styles, but I have not heard any negative comments yet. My advice to you would be to take a variety of classes (which will help fill your common curriculum requirements!) because then you will be exposed to as many different classes, professors, and students as possible. </p>

<p>I hope this helps!</p>

<p>Mdndad,</p>

<p>Loyola has a variety of options for Catholic and non-Catholic students. About 50% of our student body is Catholic. For your religion common curriculum requirement, you take the course “Intro to World Religions.” For your two advanced religion curriculum requirements, there are numerous classes available that focus on all of the major religions, etc. If students so choose, those can be the only interaction they have with religion, but they are by no means forced to do anything Catholic-specific such as attend Mass, etc. </p>

<p>There are also several non-Catholic student organizations on campus such as the Muslim Student Association, which has it’s own prayer room on campus, and the Jewish Student Association, etc. as well.</p>

<p>I’d say in general the religious environment at Loyola is very accepting. In fact, I personally know non-Catholic students who willingly attend Mass all the time.The student body is pretty diverse and interaction with people of different faith backgrounds is encouraged. Jesuit institutions are notorious for having a very accepting nature and I feel like that is definitely shown in our students and their general good will toward one another. </p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Does Loyola accept dual credit? (If you know what that is even). If you do not it is where you receive college credit for taking a high school level class through a nearby college.</p>