Ask Almost Anything About UR!

Thanks

If I major in biology and something else science-related, would I still be able to participate in musical programs as an extracurricular activity? I’m thinking of performing as a piano accompanist for the orchestra or choir if possible. Thanks!

@gq2016 Yes, you can absolutely participate in ensembles as a science major and even as a double major! I’ll reiterate what I said above that the vast majority of the students in ensembles are not music majors or minors and there are many STEM majors that participate. I myself am a CS and Math double major with minors in Music and Dance and I am in four ensembles, along with other extracurriculars (CS project team, Math research, theater, etc).

Both choirs are accompanied by a staff accompanist. Occasionally we’ll play pieces in orchestra that call for a piano, but not often, and last year the pianists came from other sections in the orchestra (violin and clarinet; last year was unique in that we were premiering a piece that the clarinetist wrote). Band sometimes needs a piano and so we’ll ask students to play in those cases, but usually the pianist is not part of the band and is asked in for just that piece. As a pianist, your best option for participating would be in chamber music. We have several pianists that participate. Pieces and groups for chamber ensembles are based on who is participating in that concert. The other options for pianists would be the jazz ensemble, although that is competitive, one of the jazz combos, or the Brazilian combo. I would recommend you continue with lessons if you end up attending UR; we have some great piano faculty (I’m in the jazz piano studio)!

@guineagirl96 What is the demand for violists in the orchestra and other instrumental groups? My son is keen to play, but is not yet at Grade 8 standard. Thanks,

@londondad we are in desperate need of violists! Last year we had only 2 violas in the orchestra and this year, we only have four. In fact, last year, we ended up having a couple of cellos play the viola part (octave down) on their cellos, just so the part was present and could be heard over the rest of the orchestra.

@guineagirl96 Thanks. Let’s hope he gets in!

@bbbaaa784 Hi! haha as a fellow Yankee from a small liberal town outside of the even more liberal Boston, Ma, I can surely say there’s probably more racism, violence and harassment to worry about at the schools up North than at UR. I’m a RD applicant, so I don’t know too much, but I think it is safe to say you’re safer there than at the crazy schools here!!

1 Like

Also, Hi @guineagirl96 ! I have a question about the students. In what fields of study/schools/ majors do you think students are happiest? Do some majors seem to have happier students while others are just stressful? I ask because I have so many interests, and don’t know which to pursue at UR, and maybe this could be a guide. Also, do you know anyone studying Linguistics? If so, do they like it?

@mrc4081 I don’t think there’s really a correlation between home school or major and happiness. I mean, most people I know are really happy in their majors. There are certain classes or times of the semester that are stressful, but it’s usually not too bad. For example, CS is stressful when we have big programming assignments due and there’s a couple classes that are notoriously hard (I just took computer organization, which is one such class). Math has a couple required classes that are super difficult like abstract algebra, which I’m taking next semester). Music is stressful at the end of the semester when we have to do rep performances and juries, and our music theory classes can be stressful if you don’t already have a solid theory background.

But if I can to pick one, everyone I know in Jepson School of Leadership is really happy.

Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone pursuing the linguistics minor (I believe we only have the minor, not a major). I’ll be taking a couple classes in the minor (most likely my junior year), however, since it’s relevant to my career path. I don’t have room for the whole minor (lol I already have 2 majors and 2 minors). The minor seems to have a split focus. You have to take a year of a non Indo-European language (Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Russian?, etc), but most of the classes either focus on Romance languages or English. The classes seem to be of good quality.

Hi @guineagirl96
What are your impressions of Greek Life? I have heard COMPLETELY mixed reviews. The last thing I want is for college to be cliquey like High School, and I have heard that is a symptom of sororities. However, I have gone to summer camp all my life and I love the idea of having a tight group of friends to spend my time with.
I am also a bit rattled by the fact that Greek Life is said to be seen as a place for only the preppy, shallow people at UR, but it is such an intelligent campus with brilliant kids, how can that be true?
Is there a lot of hazing for girls? Truly I am getting very worked up about this aspect of UR!
Please help! Thanks!
Any info would be nice!!
Thanks

My 2 daughters at UR are not in sororities, so I cannot comment on hazing, not sure about that! They both have friends in their circles who are in sororities/frats and friends who are not. They do sometimes attend greek parties/events which are often open to all students. They do not feel ostracized that they are not in a sorority, nor is there a great divide between greek/non-greek students that has created barriers to making friends. Greek life at UR is whatever you make of it, you can get very involved with activities, planning, leadership, etc. or not. The greek lodges are not residential, so my daughters have friends made in classes, clubs, dorms, etc., again some greek, some not. They do not ever seem to be suffering from a lack of fun things to do with their friends:)

2 Likes

@mrc4081 I agree with basically everything @mamag2855 said.

I am not involved with greek life, but know many people who are. I have not heard of any hazing in the sororities (although I have heard of some minor hazing in some of the fraternities- things like giving a girl, who has consented beforehand, a lap dance fully clothed).

Greek life is rather unique at UR. Because the sororities and fraternities are non-residential, meaning that those in greek life live in the dorms intermingled with everyone else, there’s not really much separation. They are not cliquey at all. People are friends with people in other sororities and fraternities, and those that aren’t involved with greek life (which is the majority on campus- around 35% of students are involved with greek life). The other thing at UR is that rush is not until spring, meaning you’ve already had an entire semester with your friends before you rush, making it unlikely that you’ll part ways. People do not generally just hang out with people in their sorority; they often hang out with the group of friends they already established of people from their classes, clubs and activities (for example, people involved with music and/or theater make a lot of friends in rehearsals and performing arts classes), and dorm.

And Greek life is definitely NOT seen as a “place for only the preppy, shallow people at UR”. Some of the nerdiest (in a good way), smartest people I know are in fraternities/sororities and they are definitely not shallow people.

1 Like

@guineagirl96 do you recall when in March admissions announces decisions? My son can’t wait to hear! Thanks

@mrc4081 - My D is a Freshman so my comments are based on limited experience. My D just went through Rush and seemed to enjoy the process. One thing I like about UR Rush is that they hold it in January. This gives students a minimum of 1 semester to get settled into college life - classes, roommates, being away from home, etc. My D’s experience with rush was mostly positive. It’s a stressful process and, let’s be honest, it’s all about your personality and how you would fit in with a particular group. There are a variety of groups, but it’s important to set expectations. In the end, my D and her 5 friends went the following: 1 to one sorority, 1 to another sorority, 2 to another sorority and 2 dropped out because they didn’t “match” with the ones they liked.

There will be some “bad feelings” but that happens when you try out for a team or play or anything and you don’t get picked. I guess it’s life. But again, it was positive for my D so my perspective is limited.

I’m excited about my Ds experiences so far (but she also go what she wanted). From what she has told me, there are older girls she knows who all live together and they are all 3 in different sororities. As was mentioned above, there is no house or floor that are exclusive to a sorority. I see it as a social club. A way to get involved and meet people. My D isn’t the most outgoing person when she meets new people, so this is a great way for her to brush up on her people skills. :slight_smile: And, now she has a group of women whom she can call “sisters”. I’m hoping for continued bonding and her developing some additional friendship skills.

In general, when you wear greek letters, you’re going to look “preppy”. Can’t get around that.

1 Like

@londondad Unfortunately I don’t remember exactly, but I believe RD results come out around the second week of March.

Thanks.

@londondad - 2015 RD envelope arrived in AZ on March 27, 2015

Thanks! Do they send out emails too?

I don’t believe they sent an email last year.

But, I believe there was a work-around with the housing deposit portal last year. Some students were able to use their ID and see if the housing deposit showed up as “due”. Something along those lines. Then, if you had a housing deposit, then you are “accepted”. Not sure if that helps, but if you are worried about being around for mail, this might help.

I live about 10 miles from UR campus, received RD letter last year late March, no email, only the snail mail letter.