BCS Berth

<p>Oh where is the wise NJ Bama when we need his reflections the most? </p>

<p>Ok, so I get that I need to pull for Oklahoma to beat Oklahoma State (or conversely for Oklahoma State to squeak out a win). Of course losing would be preferred. But who am I pulling for in the SEC Championship game. I am having a hard time pulling for LSU, even though a rematch against an undefeated LSU is better than them losing to Georgia and all heck breaking out with the BCS system.</p>

<p>So what is the best scenario? What do us Bama fans want to happen today? </p>

<p>Everybody knows that whatever we want will break our way. It’s one of those years. We just made it more exciting and kept it interesting by losing to LSU!</p>

<p>Definitely want Oklahoma State to lose and LSU to win. </p>

<p>If Georgia beats LSU, then it looks really bad upon the SEC West, especially since Georgia lost to both South Carolina and Boise State. However, LSU will no doubt go to the BCS Championship game because they might be the best team out there.</p>

<p>With an Oklahoma State win, there is a small chance for them to jump us. They are currently behind Bama in all the human polls, and we beat them in 4 of the 6 computer polls. But it would have to be a blowout for them to pass us. Let’s hope that Oklahoma doesn’t give up in order to give their rival a chance to play for the NCG. It would be like us giving up against Auburn, which we know we would never do. Hopefully their rivalry is a bit like ours. </p>

<p>So Geaux Tigers and Boomer Sooner?</p>

<p>I don’t think a LSU loss today would change anything for Bama. I think those who vote would just think that the team knew that it wasn’t really fighting for a BCS championship berth. </p>

<p>I don’t think a LSU loss would drop LSU to #2 and Bama to #3…putting OSU as #1. Just don’t think so. If anything, a LSU loss would drop LSU to #3, leaving Bama in one of the top 2 spots…which is what we all really care about anyway. </p>

<p>I do hope that OU beats OSU…that would just seal the deal for Bama to be in the BCS.</p>

<p>The only chance OK st. has of jumping us is if they score a convincing win over Oklahoma, since that might impress the human polls that are part of the BCS formula. Other than that, they are way too far behind (.08 or so) in the BCS to catch up. It’s the consensus among BCS experts that LSU will not fall more than 1 spot even if they were to lose to Georgia. </p>

<p>So if you had to root, root for Oklahoma. The LSU game makes virtually no difference. There are some sportswriters advocating against a rematch (namely Rick Reilly) but most are in favor of the NC game between the two best teams… clearly LSU and Alabama.</p>

<p>This week, I had the chance to listen to a bunch of ESPN talk shows and while a few don’t want a Bama v LSU rematch, most think that the rematch will not be a rehash of the last game. Most feel that the coaches will have learned from that game, have a month to come up with new strategies, and the result will be a very different game…with touchdowns!!! lol</p>

<p>Rick Reilly isn’t the smartest guy on the planet. He was advocating that Alabama doesn’t deserve to a chance to play for the BCS Championship because they didn’t win their conference and their division. But later in his article on ESPN, he said Stanford deserved a shot because they’ve only lost once to Oregon…but Stanford didn’t win their conference or division. He’s a silly writer who just really hates Bama. I’m hoping that the voters will realize that Bama lost to #1 and Oklahoma State lost to #unranked. </p>

<p>The BCS is not about selecting games you want for the National Championship. That’s for the other bowl games. It’s about choosing the #1 and #2 teams to play for the title. And if Oklahoma State was really that good, and deserved to be #2, they wouldn’t have lost to Iowa State. So I hope the voters aren’t stupid enough to put them through.</p>

<p>Geez, Cowboys are playing like they want to go to the big game.</p>

<p>Yeah, Oklahoma State is blowing out Oklahoma so far. If the game continues like this, I think they have a good chamce of jumping Alabama in the rankings. Come on, Sooners!</p>

<p>I wouldn’t say a “good” chance… more like “a” chance. At the end of the day, Alabama has a way better resume and is more deserving.</p>

<p>I hope I’m wrong, but with a 41-3 score and loads of time remaining (which Oklahoma does not appear to be using for the good), I’m going to stick with “good chance.” This game is just ugly.</p>

<p>Oklahoma looked terrible, Oklahoma State looked just fine. I mean, the Sooners overturned the ball four times, and were really just bad. I still don’t believe OSU should go over Bama. We lost to the SEC Champion, LSU. Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State, who might not even be going to a Bowl Game.</p>

<p>I love the argument that Oklahoma State is somehow more deserving than Bama because they had more “quality” wins, citing victories over Baylor, Texas A&M, Kansas State, Texas, and Missouri. Gimme a break.</p>

<p>Does anybody really think that Alabama, who has no control over who they play, would have any trouble with these “quality” opponents, to whom Oklahoma State gave up an AVERAGE of 29.6 points in these so-called “quality” games?</p>

<p>They gave up 45 to Kansas State and 37 to 6-6 Iowa State, for gawd’s sake. What do you think LSU would do to this sieve of a defense? B-O-R-I-N-G.</p>

<p>Yes, they beat Oklahoma. So did Baylor. So did Texas Tech, AT OKLAHOMA. </p>

<p>Wow, what a resume! Makes Alabama’s #1 defense in the nation and 3 point overtime loss to the #1 team in the nation pale in comparison, doesn’t it?</p>

<p>I am glad to see LSU woke up in the second half. I think in the eyes of pollsters/voters and the computer, that was much needed in light of the Oklahoma State dominant win. I also think there needs to be an asterisk given to the Oklahoma State season. The asterisk should read " won 11 games with a grandfather at quarterback". (Maybe there is still hope for me. I never played in college and I would still have 4 years of eligibility left). </p>

<p>I am also happy that Dabo Swinney and Clemson, (with all due respect to hokiefan) came alive with a crushing win over Virginia Tech after a dismal end to their regular season. It is always good to see a fellow alumnus do well. </p>

<p>Good to be still talking football, because here in the heart of ACC country, they long ago gave up on football and turned their sights on basketball. Todays newspaper relegated the football news to one page and it was at the back of the paper. </p>

<p>Keep your fingers, toes, and eyes crossed until 8:00pm tonight on ESPN.</p>

<p>LSU alum here with a son likely headed to Alabama. I have no idea what will happen with the BCS today, nor do I really care which team we play. But if Alabama gets passed by OSU, I am taking Monday afternoon off from work to listen to the Finebaum show. It will be a meltdown of epic proportions.</p>

<p>Wow, Weeden is 28. Is there an age limit to play in the NCAA?</p>

<p>Everything crossed and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>When will they update the rankings? Today or tomorrow?</p>

<p>Looks like T. Boone Pickens will sue if OSU doesn’t get in the NCG…
[Oklahoma</a> State earned right to face LSU in BCS after Bedlam statement - Stewart Mandel - SI.com](<a href=“http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/12/03/oklahoma-state-bedlam-bcs/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a3]Oklahoma”>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/12/03/oklahoma-state-bedlam-bcs/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a3)</p>

<p>The BCS selection show is tonight.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Who’s he going to sue? Those who vote? 2/3 is based on human VOTE. Yes, the computer favors OSU, but it’s only 1/3 of the total. </p>

<p>He may feel that because OSU blew out OU that it makes a difference. From what I’ve heard, the actual final score doesn’t matter to the BCS computer (probably to discourage coaches from running up the scoreboard to humiliate opponents). </p>

<p>I can’t figure out who he’d sue…the NCAA Conference Commissioners? the NCAA? who?</p>

<p>It doesn’t matter if he or some others think that OSU deserves anything when results are largely determined by vote. </p>

<p>We can think Trent should be the Heisman winner, and we could back that up with stats, but if the Heisman vote says differently, then, “oh well.” </p>

<p>I’m just hoping that a large number of voters aren’t looking to avoid a Bama/LSU rematch.</p>

<p>I’ll tell you who he is going to sue. He is going to sue Bob Stoops (Oklahoma’s coach). Pickens paid Stoops off so that Oklahoma State could put up 60+ points against his team, so that the BCS would have a tougher time eliminating OK. State from the BCS game. Oklahoma State only scored 44. Pickens is *<strong><em>ed and you don’t want him *</em></strong>ed at you.</p>

<p>Did I do this justice for a NJBama impersonation? Miss you NJ!</p>