Be honest: Would you be sad if your kids decide to forgo marriage/parenthood?

I just want my kids to be happy - I would be sad if they want to be married and never find that special person more so than if they decide to be childless.

One of my brothers never married or had kids and he regrets those decisions.

So far, my kids have all said they want to have kids- now I just want one of them to get engaged, lol.

2 Likes

Another in the “I would be sad but it’s their life” camp.
My hope is that my kids will have kids and we will all be pretty close. BUT, one (adult) child barely talks to us at this point, so we will see.

6 Likes

I doubt very much that my son will get married, and I would be shocked if he were to have kids (he has no interest in kids). I am not sad. It’s his life. I think because I have brothers and good friends who never married, I know that life can be full without marriage … and judging by some of the failed marriages I have seen, being married is hardly a guarantee of happiness. He is very particular about the way he lives, and he prefers to live alone. It would be wonderful if he were to find a woman with whom he could share his life, but I wouldn’t be sad if he doesn’t. My D is married & has a child, so I do have a grandchild.

4 Likes

First I should say that it would be my wish and hope that they find a life long partner - but I can respect a relationship without a ring on it.

We have lots of European family and marriage isn’t always the end game, but there are partnerships that are indeed committed and decades lasting.

As far as children it is their decision. I’m am not owed to be a grandparent. What would probably be most bothersome to me is that all 3 seem to have loved, loved having siblings themselves. And I think they all would make amazing parents.

But I think their has been a lot of sh_t show In their lives in our world today that I can see glimpses of why they might hesitate. :disappointed:

All 3 of mine know that I would wholeheartedly support adoption. If life doesn’t give them a pregnancy if they want it, I would be elated for an adoption.

We are at 33 (BF of 5 years), 30 (married for 6 years) and 25 (single and has expressed that at this time she can’t imagine having a child)

4 Likes

Honestly, I would be heartbroken if my D chooses to not have children. She’s only 15 so I’m hoping not for at least 10 years but one day. I always wanted another child but we were unsuccessful. I work in pediatrics and spent most of my days off helping at her school when she was little. She’s not only an only child she’s an only grandchild for both sides. Since most of her friends are only children I’m hoping they’ll form a bond when they’re grown up to fill that spot a sibling usually would. I have a sibling but she doesn’t provide much and I’m expecting her to be dependent on me once our parents are gone. My daughter could end up being the only person left from her family so my hope is that she’ll have created her own family by the time that happens.

6 Likes

We had an only child and a source of anxiety for me was the prospect of her being alone in the world when we are gone. She does have some cousins but that’s not the same as siblings. I felt relieved when she made a family of her own by marrying into another family. Of course I realize that divorce happens but I think she has made a good choice and they are very compatible and happy.

9 Likes

I can honestly say that I really don’t expect my kids to have kids. I am totally fine with that. I would be fine with them having kids too but am truly not at all sad about only being a pet grandparent. I would welcome grandkids but don’t anticipate that.

I would like them to find life partners. Don’t particularly care if they get married or not. If they want to that would be awesome but I would like them to find a partner. I just feel like they would be happiest partnered.

7 Likes

One of mine is not yet married, and due to educational and career pursuits, the clock is ticking. The time spent with toddler nieces/nephews doesn’t seem to be convincing her to want kids :wink: I will not be (very) sad for me if she does not have kids, but I do hope she does not later regret that choice.

1 Like

I have the same worry about my only. I don’t want her to be alone dealing with aging parents and then when we are gone.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m selfish…want grandkids.

My son doesn’t like kids but wants to have one and name him a name that rhymes with our last name.

My daughter will definitely have them…already has the husband picked out…at 19. Ugh.

I hope they wait til 30 or so though.

I’ll love them regardless of what they choose…but I hope for grandkids…selfishly.

3 Likes

My S is mid-30s and engaged. His fiancée is a year younger than him I believe. Not sure whether they want kids but as many of their friends and loved ones are having babies believe the topic must have come up several times.

D has never had a BF and is in early 30s. I would like her to be happy and hope someday she has the energy to have a romantic relationship. She seems mostly fairly content and has lots of good and close male and female friends — singles and couples.

I just want my kids happy and healthy. If they choose to have partners as part of that — that’s great. If they choose to have kids, that’s great. If not, that’s great too.

9 Likes

I don’t think it’s selfish to want progeny. There is a lot of nihilist anti-natalism out there, and I find it decadent and irritating. Of course, no one should be forced to marry or have children, and I think it’s good that there are alternative ways to make your mark besides procreating. But “families of choice” are not the same thing as biological ties, and blood is indeed thicker than water. People have been bringing children into the world under less than ideal circumstances for thousands and thousands of years. I understand the desire to not have children, but I don’t understand the justifications that the world is a uniquely horrible place right now in all of human history. No, it isn’t. Just say you don’t want to have kids because you want to do other things with your time. That’s fine.

9 Likes

My only wish for my son is his happiness, whatever that looks like for him. He and his fiancée do not want children, and that’s perfectly fine. Should they change their minds later, that’s fine, too.

I have zero desire for grandchildren, none whatsoever. (And don’t even suggest that I have any relationship to the dog they just adopted! The words “fur baby” and “granddog/cat” make me cringe.)

Our son enjoys being an only and has never wished for siblings. He will never be alone; he has friends and a life full of interests. He has no obligation to care for aging parents. That’s all on us. He’s free to build any life he chooses. We just get to enjoy watching that, no judgements.

19 Likes

I am another one with an only. He recently expressed a desire to have between two and four children!! That was rather jaw-dropping to me. Of course, I immediately started referencing my future FOUR grandchildren to him. Ha ha!! He quickly dialed me back: “Mom, I said between two and four.”

Not happening anytime soon. He and the girlfriend broke up a week after they visited :frowning: I wonder if I scared her off! :grimacing: I don’t think I did. I don’t have the deets on the break-up.

I think I used to feel, “entitled,” to grandchildren. I don’t anymore. Primarily because of a post here on the, “Say it here,” thread. As is the case with many others, I would hope he would marry or have a life partner. Whichever. I do think life is easier as a pair. Especially since he is an only.

I’m not sure if I am being influenced by selfishness or by concern for ds. BUT, one thing I do think about is ds being really, “sandwiched.” I was 33 and dh 34 when he was born. Ds is about to head to grad school for two years. He is currently 25. I can’t imagine him marrying or having children anytime soon. So, while I do want grandchildren (even though I don’t feel entitled to them), I worry about him having teens AND simultaneously dealing with aging parents. The selfish part of me thinks if he does NOT have kids, he’ll have more time to care for us, and we’ll get better care. Can’t be any more honest than that!

3 Likes

It’s ok if you don’t understand that way of thinking (to not procreate due to the way of the works for example) but I don’t think you have the right to dismiss the feelings of others who do feel this way. And to indicate that their reason is just a scapegoat for different motives.

Sure the world has never been perfect. Also a lot of marriages and children probably were the result of family pressure or expectations.

4 Likes

Really don’t agree with this. Married couples do not have biological ties. Your spouse is your family of choice!

Biology is just biology. Sometimes, often, there’s love involved in biology, but not always.

9 Likes

My kids are very close to my parents because we lived close by them when my kids were growing up. My father passed away 8 years ago. My kids visits my mom regularly. They send her flowers and presents on Mother’s Day and birthday. They take very good care of her when we get together. My mother actually gets more attention because of my kids.

7 Likes

Wow all that long thread of yours we were all so invested in and they broke up!! :wink: :heart:

Seriously, hope your son is dealing with that ok.

14 Likes

Right? Now I want to know what happened!

Agree that I hope your ds is doing OK with the breakup.

A neighbor’s son brought his gf here the weekend of the neighborhood July 4th picnic one year. They always blamed the break up a couple of weeks later on us!

1 Like

IKR?

Thank you. I think it was rough for him. I am glad he felt comfortable sharing with us when it was still quite raw.

I’ll see him in a little more than a week. We are flying out to help him move back on campus. I will divide driving time between riding with ds in his car and riding with dh in the rental moving truck. I am going to ask if he wants to talk about it. I am curious (of course!) as to what happened, but I won’t push if he doesn’t want to share specifics.

He’s been busy traveling. His eyes have seemed a bit happier in more recent posts. He’s about to have a very ripe field for picking! :wink:

12 Likes