Business school

<p>Can anyone elaborate on the prestige (job prospects) of the business school at Virginia Tech?</p>

<p>Its like the 50 something ranked business school in the nation. Fairly well known around here on the East coast but I don’t know how the job prospects around the rest of the country would be with a Pamplin degree</p>

<p>The job prospects are outstanding. So much that even in this recession, our business career fair now has to be expanded to two days just so all the companies that want to recruit here can do so. Undergraduate business degrees are generally a wash unless you can attach a name like Harvard or Yale to it. Virginia Tech is accredited by the AACSB, the highest accreditation undergraduate business programs can achieve. If I am not mistaken, there around 500 of such schools. We rank 41st putting us in the top 10% of the schools. Our faculty/student ratio is 27. We have an unusual number of CEOs of Fortune 1000 companies for our prestige which speaks volumes of the work ethic Hokies are instilled with in addition to the learning of theoretical concepts and projects, exams etc.</p>

<p>In addition, our Dean Sorensen chaired the AACSB and was responsible for guiding the top accrediting organization for 2 years I believe. Dr. Vijay Singal was also on the finance curriculum committee for said organization. </p>

<p>Unfortunately the salary information is for the 2007-2008 school year, but 66% of respondents said they were employed within whatever time frame the graduate survey was open.</p>

<p>The median salary for those graduates was 49,000 and the 25/75 range 40,000-55,000.</p>

<p>hey thanks really appreciate the helpful information.</p>

<p>anyone else?</p>

<p>The job prospects at Tech are average. It is an average Business school so you get hired by average companies. To get a top job from tech you have to be an engineer or a math major. That is why so many companies come to tech in the first place.</p>

<p>eh thats a shame. I became interested in VT while I was planning to be an engineer but have since abandoned that major choice…I loved my visit.<br>
the business school looks impressive on vt’s website though.</p>

<p>“eh thats a shame.”</p>

<p>Keep in mind that you are responding to someone who doesn’t even go to Virginia Tech (Royal16 currently attends JMU). Why he feels the need to keep responding on VaTech’s forum is a mystery, especially when he seldom, if ever, has anything positive to contribute.</p>

<p>yea… considering my best friend here got an internship at meryll lynch (or however you spell it, im an engineer i dont care lol), and i have heard of several being employed by top companies, id say its not average. Definitely better than JMU lol</p>

<p>I’m a senior in VT’s finance program, and I would highly, highly recommend it. What you have to realize is that most “undergraduate business school” rankings don’t give you the full story. Each of Pamplin’s 6 majors is VERY different, and graduates of each have very different job prospects. This is the same at any other school.</p>

<p>While marketing or management majors may have a tough time finding a good job, students in accounting and finance are among the most in-demand on the East Coast. The finance program ranks in the top 20 among public and private schools, and the accounting program consistently ranks in the top 10. Furthermore, the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) option within the finance department has been a TOP 3 program for almost a decade.</p>

<p>I personally have already had 3 internships with different fortune 500 hundred companies, and have 2 offers for full-time employment with more interviews scheduled. And I am definitely NOT the best student in my major… far from it.</p>

<p>I can only speak for the quality of classes in finance, but I can tell you that I have learned an exceptional amount so far. While at my last internship at a Big 4 accounting firm, I was solving advanced financial modeling problems that even my senior manager didn’t know how to do, and EVERY other person in my classes could have done the same.</p>

<p>Speaking of accounting, by all accounts from my friends in the program, as long as you graduate with at least a 2.0 (which is terrible), you’re pretty much guaranteed a well-paying job in the Big 4, based solely on the quality of the program.</p>

<p>Hope that helps.</p>

<p>Business schools have tons of data on exactly who recruits and who hires from their school, which grads got jobs, what jobs, and the starting salaries. Hard data that is quite important and apart from a shared perception of ‘prestige’ held by highschool students. </p>

<p>As a long term business school professor, who has been very involved in several tiers of schools (including my alma mater and teaching at an ivy and state and experienced in numerous career centers over the years), I can assure you that what highschool students think on cc and what the data show are not necessarily in synch at all. There is a ton of hyperbole out there.</p>

<p>So seek out the hard data and use it to your advantage.</p>

<p>thanks a lot. didnt know that guy went to JMU but the rest of the info you guys gave me is great stuff.</p>

<p>I received an internship (BIT Major) for more than 20 dollars an hour. Not bad</p>

<p>I would suggest either BIT or ACIS- They have the most offers, and best programs for business</p>