Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

I am guessing from this forum because everyone on here is talking about yesterday admissions and earlier this week. I’m speculating from trends on here.

Oh wait, but they don’t have a college of letters and sciences. Disregard what I said, my bad!

Are you saying that you believe that Cal Poly won’t send out any admissions today?

I’ve seen several posts on the SDSU thread stating that some kids have gotten into SLO this week but are still waiting on any news from SDSU. My son is opposite, admitted to SDSU in December and admitted to the honors college but still crickets from SLO which is his first choice (applied as business admin to both, 4.5 gpa, 33 act). Other kids in his classes with similar or higher stats have also heard nothing from SLO (engineering). Not sure why it is so hard to be transparent in the notification process. Do the UC’s do the same thing with admissions trickling out over the course of several days?

The only thing we know for sure is that there was a large wave of admissions on Tuesday afternoon and a trickle here and there ever since. Until we see any evidence to the contrary, there is no real basis for expecting another large wave any time soon.

I’m pretty sure that UC Davis releases all decisions on one day (they did in 2017 with my older daughter). And possibly true for UCSB–who lists 3/17 as the day the decisions will be announced.

I will be shocked if your son doesn’t get in with those stats. This gives me hope- have not heard either- Economics. I’ve only seen one person post an acceptance in Economics but there could be more. I am hoping some of the business school acceptances are still coming.

Has anyone heard of anyone getting accepted in General Engineering?

@JandTsDad yes… it was a guess .

hopefully cal poly is taking a while because they are busy sorting out scholarships or something

if I haven’t heard back does that mean a rejection basically
I am stats major

Anything can happen, of course, but statistically speaking, you are more likely to be waitlisted or rejected at this point than to be accepted. It’s just math, unfortunately.

That is not true. I spoke with an admissions officer for SLO yesterday and he said there are MANY acceptances that haven’t gone out yet and they will be releasing acceptances until April 1st.

What you said does not at all contradict what I said. MANY is a very nebulous notion, but the fact remains that there are many more rejections and wait lists that will come out before April than acceptances. Like I said, it’s just simple math for a selective school that has already released a lot of admission decisions. Hope is a good thing, and it does spring eternal, but being realistic about one’s odds is also important.

In the past years were their multiple waves of acceptances or was it one wave of acceptances followed by one wave of wait-lists and then one wave of rejections?

If you look at last year’s admission cycle, it was one large wave on March 3-4 followed by a week of sporadic acceptances, and then a wave of wait lists on March 12. I didn’t bother with the rejections, but I guess they came after the wait lists.

@SoCalDad73
Your username suggests that you are an adult. I’d respectfully suggest that you consider being a little more diplomatic in your postings. Your “realistic” “math” is garbage in, garbage out. A very significant number of applicants are going to have inferior stats to the college confidential kids posting here. With higher stats comes higher likelihood of positive outcomes. It’s not merely “hopeful” for the remaining high stat kids to reasonably expect to be admitted when we know that only a portion of acceptances have been announced to date. It’s already difficult enough to wait and anticipate a decision for which we have no control. Let’s remain reasonably optimitstic at this point, please.

@travelbee
4.4 GPA
Top 5% of his class
1370 SAT (he was worried about his score being low)

Best of luck to your daughter!

The brutal thing about math is that it doesn’t care about our hopes and dreams. If the overall acceptance rate of CP SLO is 30% to begin with, and let’s say half of the acceptances have come out, our general odds have dropped to 15%. Sure, we can tell ourselves that our kids have excellent stats and are better than most, but it doesn’t change the odds. I am not here to be anyone’s therapist – I am just stating the obvious, as unpleasant as it may sound. Rest assured, I would love to be proven wrong as my kid is also still waiting for a decision. But one of the lessons I’ve learned in life is that being realistic is just as important as being optimistic.

Love your attitude, kid! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.