Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

@Gumbymom Do you happen to know, or does anyone know whether 7th and 8th grade coursework is factored into the CSU GPA for OOS? We included her math and language classes on the application to show completion of them, but I am wondering if the grades are factored in?

does anyone know if Architecture majors are supposed to submit a portfolio? and if so, where do I submit one?

The Cal Poly website says only grades from 9th-11th are considered in the GPA calculation:

https://www.calpoly.edu/admissions/first-year-student/selection-criteria

Also still waiting for notifications for Psychology in state.

Nella2024

Do you mind to share weighted gpa?

No, CP does NOT accept portfolios for arch. It is strictly a numbers game. Did you already apply? Did you get a response?

Don’t really understand what would be “compelling information” if you cannot reference errors in your app or 12th year grades. Anyone have any ideas here?

Do we still think more acceptances are coming out? Or are we off to waitlists and denials…

According to the Cal Poly appeals site, “For an appeal to have merit, it must contain new, serious and compelling information that clearly shows you to be academically stronger than had been earlier evidenced. Neither grades received in the current academic year nor mistakes made on the application are a basis for an appeal or the reversal of a decision.”

Also: “If you are a first-year applicant and the basis of your appeal involves an incorrectly reported test score, you should provide documentation (e.g., a revised score report) along with your letter and transcripts. You must also request the revised test scores be sent electronically to Cal Poly from the testing agency.”

https://www.calpoly.edu/admissions/not-selected/admission-decision-appeals

@kikib1028 Precisely my question. If you can’t share an application error or new grades, what could possibly be “compelling information that clearly shows you to be academically stronger than had been earlier evidenced”??

Curing cancer.

@5OnTheHill:

Regarding 7th and 8th grades in the GPA calculation, that was answered by @NoVaRat. The Math and Foreign languages course would be used for the bonus points in HS course rigor.

Compelling reasons for an appeal.

1. Clerical errors not made by the student but by the HS, testing agency etc…
    You’ve learned of a clerical or procedural error. Were your SAT scores reported incorrectly? Did your high school present inaccurate information on your transcript? Was your application incomplete for reasons outside of your control?

2)Student has a medical condition and needs to remain close to home for specialty doctors and treatment.

Many other reasons but they usually include life circumstances not within in control by the applicant. The burden of proof is on the student, so documentation is required for whatever reason.

A current example not for SLO but for CSU Long Beach is a friend whom son is local, guaranteed admission by meeting the local Eligibility index for Undeclared was flat out denied. Their HS counselor was suppose to send a Mid-year transcript showing that a Senior English was in progress but dropped the ball and did not send the requested transcript. An appeal was filed by the student and currently being reviewed. The student was able to document that the transcript was ordered with a receipt for the cost of the transcript along with a confirmation the transcript would be send by the specific deadline date.

@jkot3882 On the decision thread, I see 2 in-state psychology acceptances (by searching) – one stated MCA in the 4700s, the other with an MCA of 4675. Good luck!

when can we expect more decisions to be posted by? maybe tonight? my portal still says “no determination has been made”.

Maybe.

I’m sure you’re anxious, and understandably so. The manner in which CPSLO delivers admissions results is, in my opinion, absolutely appalling. But to address your question, unfortunately, nobody knows when more decisions will be released.

@Perfecto00 Sorry I actually don’t know what his weighted GPA is … I only know he has all As and he takes the normal loads (meaning not excessive) of APs and honor classes.

@jkot3882

Daughter was admitted last Tuesday (3/3):

In-state
Psychology
GPA 4.15 (W), 3.84 (UW)
SAT: 1370

Also in at SDSU (back in December), and into their Honors Program last month. Still waiting on UC decisions before making a final choice.

So I was accepted on March 4th and was just notified of my financial aid. I am an OSS, and received only the CPS Nat’l Green and Gold Scholarship for $1000. Is this the only scholarship I will be getting?

I am not sure anyone hear about fin aid from CP yet. My son got Regent scholarship from UCI and COA from a few other universities (in different states), however nothing from CP.